Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1303489 times)

Offline _Vezy_

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4260 on: July 20, 2024, 02:47:01 pm »
Hey, having an issue with the game crashing.
This is the error msg:
A fatal error has occurred: Error occurred while trying to determine waypoint for mission type: STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION in region: REGION_NATASHA_MOROZOVA_HIDEOUT, mission tried to find a waypoint in zone 5 but this region only has zones valid up to 1.

To recreate just load the game save and let the world map run for a bit,  click away the first few ufo sightings.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 20, 2024, 04:49:01 pm »
Hey, having an issue with the game crashing.
This is the error msg:
A fatal error has occurred: Error occurred while trying to determine waypoint for mission type: STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION in region: REGION_NATASHA_MOROZOVA_HIDEOUT, mission tried to find a waypoint in zone 5 but this region only has zones valid up to 1.

To recreate just load the game save and let the world map run for a bit,  click away the first few ufo sightings.

That's been reported before and it was fixed a month or two ago in the github build

https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 21, 2024, 01:40:45 am »
There sometimes appears to be an inaccessible map block in Exalt HQ. This is a kind of special tower with some lower levels that are not connected to the rest of the map. From some locations you can shoot at the tower, if the enemy units wander into a visible area. I had to use debug more get rid of this.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 21, 2024, 09:46:43 am »
In Dr. Alpha's Island I also got an area very difficult to access. There is only one hole in a corridor through which you can drop into there, and there is no way out (for you or the enemy units within). Even the pathfinding algorithm doesn't apparently find the working path there. I suppose this is a bug in the mapscript.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 21, 2024, 11:20:23 am »
There sometimes appears to be an inaccessible map block in Exalt HQ.
This is intentional.
I had to use debug more get rid of this.
Just blow up walls!
In Dr. Alpha's Island I also got an area very difficult to access.
Eternal problem. Essentially a death trap for everyone who don't know about it.

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 22, 2024, 04:51:20 pm »
Yes, please upload the save game here. Otherwise I won't be able to tell anything.
Thank you very much. Here is the save game.

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 22, 2024, 05:40:12 pm »
Thank you very much. Here is the save game.

"Morozova's Abduction" strikes again, loaded up the save and about 1 in-game day later the error pops up. I've taken the liberty to "fix" the save with another random correct region for the alien mission. This should bypass the bug for this month, but I recommend you update the mod's files from the github repo so it doesn't happen again.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4267 on: July 23, 2024, 01:39:34 pm »
While adapting some scripts for my submod, I've spotted a possible issue in the last one I've come across. There's a mission, "Impossible Internet Intelligence", with a deployment in a 50x50 map. The script for this mission tries to spawn a large block (40x40) in after the craft. The issue is that depending on the size of this craft and its placement on the map it can prevent this large block from being placed, while not critical as it doesn't crash the game nor does it block the player from completing it, it left me wondering if this was desired / intended.

You're right, this is just a bug.

I solved it by enlarging the map to 60x60, and also by modifying the script:

Code: [Select]
  - type: URBAN_SCHOOL_AREA
    commands:
    - type: addBlock # school
      terrain: URBAN
      groups: 5
      size: 4
      rects:
        - [0, 0, 4, 4]
    - type: addUFO
    - type: addCraft
    - type: addLine
      label: 1
      direction: vertical
      executionChances: 33
      rects:
        - [1, 1, 4, 1]
      label: 2
      conditionals: -1
      executionChances: 50
      direction: horizontal
      rects:
        - [1, 1, 1, 4]
      conditionals: [-1, -2]
      direction: both
      rects:
        - [1, 1, 4, 4]
    - type: addBlock
      size: 4
      executionChances: 50
    - type: addBlock
      size: 2
      executions: 3
    - type: fillArea

This forces the building to spawn in the upper corner to leave enough space for any craft (none is bigger than 20x20).

I normally avoid using fixed positions, but in this case we can make an exception, as it's a rare and specific mission.

There sometimes appears to be an inaccessible map block in Exalt HQ. This is a kind of special tower with some lower levels that are not connected to the rest of the map. From some locations you can shoot at the tower, if the enemy units wander into a visible area. I had to use debug more get rid of this.

It's accessible through the cellar. Should be anyway, never seen this failing.

In Dr. Alpha's Island I also got an area very difficult to access. There is only one hole in a corridor through which you can drop into there, and there is no way out (for you or the enemy units within). Even the pathfinding algorithm doesn't apparently find the working path there. I suppose this is a bug in the mapscript.

Yeah, this one is a genuine issue. Added an extra door.

By the way, I really should make a release soon... I don't feel I have enough content, but this Morozova bug is turning into a major issue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 01:44:42 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: July 23, 2024, 02:30:29 pm »
This forces the building to spawn in the upper corner to leave enough space for any craft (none is bigger than 20x20).

I normally avoid using fixed positions, but in this case we can make an exception, as it's a rare and specific mission.

You could use these rects for a 60x60 map:
      rects:
        - [0,0,6,4] # Leaves a 60x20 gap south of the map
        - [0,0,4,6] # Leaves a 20x60 gap east of the map
        - [0,2,6,4] # Leaves a 60x20 gap north of the map
        - [2,0,4,6] # Leaves a 20x60 gap west of the map
With these the block will avoid the central area and will always leave a 20x20 gap somewhere to fit any of the mod's crafts. The map generation doesn't allow for blocks to partially spawn in different rects, even if the combined rects fit the whole block, it must fully spawn within one of those rects.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 23, 2024, 03:11:49 pm »
You could use these rects for a 60x60 map:
      rects:
        - [0,0,6,4] # Leaves a 60x20 gap south of the map
        - [0,0,4,6] # Leaves a 20x60 gap east of the map
        - [0,2,6,4] # Leaves a 60x20 gap north of the map
        - [2,0,4,6] # Leaves a 20x60 gap west of the map
With these the block will avoid the central area and will always leave a 20x20 gap somewhere to fit any of the mod's crafts. The map generation doesn't allow for blocks to partially spawn in different rects, even if the combined rects fit the whole block, it must fully spawn within one of those rects.

Yeah, good idea. I didn't have the time to experiment with something like that, as the fixed position was good enough, but your example is very helpful.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it!

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: July 24, 2024, 06:44:47 pm »
By the way, I really should make a release soon... I don't feel I have enough content, but this Morozova bug is turning into a major issue.

The veteran agent feature is major and I suppose the players will like to test it.

Based on my experiences (I've played the 3.4 snapshot until April 1998 for now), you don't really need to purchase any agents after the initial couple of months of the game (except the hybrids or 100PST agents for MC). In April 1998 so far have already received 25 veteran agents (the first ones in July 1997. After you get the good scores rolling in ~1998 or so, you seem to get the standard 4 veterans per month. Some of the skills they have are exceptionally good (especially melee, which means you can apply the transformations on them without any further training; currently the martial arts in particular may require significant training effort to get it to 65).

I suppose it could be more interesting if there would be variety to the stats (they are all fixed and don't vary at all; currently the only difference is which commendations the veterans have by default).

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: July 25, 2024, 02:37:36 pm »
"Morozova's Abduction" strikes again,
I recommend you update the mod's files from the github repo so it doesn't happen again.
Thank you very much. I will wait until the next release.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: July 25, 2024, 03:01:36 pm »
I suppose it could be more interesting if there would be variety to the stats (they are all fixed and don't vary at all; currently the only difference is which commendations the veterans have by default).

Agreed, but AFAIK it's not possible. At least I don't know the way. (Before anyone utters the word "script": no, thanks. ;))

Thank you very much. I will wait until the next release.

You can simply download the current snapshot from here: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

It's obviously poorly tested and may be missing some localization updates, but should be 100% playable.

Offline thesonofthesun

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 04, 2024, 03:06:12 pm »
I just started a fresh build with Resound, Music, and expanded markers and I seem to have bug where I get free ranks of certain medals every mission. 

They are:
Stormtrooper
Aquanaut
Dreamwalker
Horizon Walker
Infiltrator
Space
Spelunker

Every agent on the mission gets a rank every mission.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 04, 2024, 04:46:37 pm »
You will need to post a save. FWIW, this does not occur to me with base + resound.