aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1290474 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4185 on: June 25, 2024, 01:32:37 pm »
Yes, there are many considerations between the routes and the AI. If units don't leave a room, it doesn't mean they can't; maybe they just don't "want" to. Which is perfectly fine.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: June 25, 2024, 02:21:50 pm »
Well, I'm of the opinion that if your enemies are stuck in a small cubicle and won't come out until something pokes them, that's just waiting to be exploited. Whether by an explosive near the door, or otherwise. So, not so fine.

Here's a quick battle save, turn 6, all Reptoids still stuck in the kitchens. Note that one of the kitchens has only one Reptoid in there, so it can't be blocking itself from moving.

Of course, if the mansion is full of enemies, some of them never leaving the kitchen might even be interesting - a cooking contest, doing drugs, or whatever else they might be up to there. :) But if all of the enemies are stuck there, it's a different matter. AFAIK, this Reptoid Assassination mission is the only mission that uses the mansion map and has so few enemies.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 02:23:29 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: June 25, 2024, 04:10:58 pm »
Well, I'm of the opinion that if your enemies are stuck in a small cubicle and won't come out until something pokes them, that's just waiting to be exploited. Whether by an explosive near the door, or otherwise. So, not so fine.

Yes, but that's an if. Which is what I needed to confirm.

Here's a quick battle save, turn 6, all Reptoids still stuck in the kitchens. Note that one of the kitchens has only one Reptoid in there, so it can't be blocking itself from moving.

Thank you.

I did some analysis, and the routes look okay. See attachment: there are two routes leading out of the room. (They work both ways, I checked.) The only thing that I'm not sure about is no a route going through the southern door, but this should not be very relevant to the problem.
I checked patrol priorities too, and all these nodes are at 0... So I don't understand why they only choose nodes in the room... Maybe because they're all assigned to rank Engineer? But this shouldn't matter for movement, only for spawning, no?

So in short, I have no idea what's going on here.

Of course, if the mansion is full of enemies, some of them never leaving the kitchen might even be interesting

Yeah, and in some very rare cases I'm using a similar setup, but not here!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: June 25, 2024, 05:35:14 pm »
I played a few more turns, and even civilians opening the doors and getting wasted by burning death beams didn't make the lizards leave the kitchen. And there are even some stairs if they don't like the doors, but no dice.

These Reptoids are all rank 5, 'soldiers', aren't they?

I'm also at a loss why they behave that way, then. Perhaps increase the patrol priorities of the nodes just outside? Though I kinda doubt that would help.

There's a log for alien 'AI' and other stuff that can be enabled and dumped, isn't there?

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: June 25, 2024, 08:32:09 pm »
wait ...

dont i remember correctly, that in AlienBases the Commanders and Navigators will (or strongly tend to) stay in the command module?

(perhaps only Comms/Navs that spawn on tiles outside the command module get to move around?)

... just thinking this is something u guys might investigate for this .....

I checked patrol priorities too, and all these nodes are at 0... So I don't understand why they only choose nodes in the room... Maybe because they're all assigned to rank Engineer? But this shouldn't matter for movement, only for spawning, no?

am not so sure about that, but would have to brainstorm the sourcecode to find out
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 08:45:26 pm by kevL »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: June 25, 2024, 08:42:56 pm »
In 3.4, scoped hunting rifle description still refers to the workshop manufacturing requirement, even though this requirement has been removed.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: June 25, 2024, 08:52:38 pm »
dont i remember correctly, that in AlienBases the Commanders and Navigators will (or strongly tend to) stay in the command module?
If I'm not mistaken, the command room (the one with four 'tables') is entirely cut off from the rest of the base as far as patrol routes go. Which is why this situation here is so puzzling.

I am. :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:01:50 pm by Juku121 »

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: June 25, 2024, 09:42:24 pm »
The central node at the elevator in the vanilla command room is connected to the node at the lower level and in turn that node leads to another node outside the 3-wide door, these 3 nodes have relatively high patrol priorities but there's no node disconnection between these or any other nodes in that block that would prevent patrolling AI to enter or leave.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: June 25, 2024, 10:12:38 pm »
...and in turn that node leads to another node outside the 3-wide door ... there's no node disconnection between these or any other nodes in that block...
Erm...

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: June 25, 2024, 10:19:17 pm »
where is the disconnect? I literally used the GO button from the command room and every step of the way it got me closer and closer to the outside.

Also, yours looks different for some reason, has a couple of extra nodes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:29:43 pm by CrazedHarpooner »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: June 25, 2024, 10:50:02 pm »
Okay, apparently I've had XCF versions of the maps in my UFO directory since forever.  :-[

Got the GoG version, and the extra nodes disappeared, but I still can't get outside from the highlighted (blue) node. Always stuck inside the inner perimeter, within the area that has the 3-tile doors. How do you 'go' from that inner blue tile to the outside?

Derp. :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:02:10 pm by Juku121 »

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: June 25, 2024, 11:02:02 pm »
In my image you can see I have the central node selected and you can see the 1st link (link1) is pointing to node 13. I just click 'go' to the right of it and it takes me to said node, if you do this at each subsequent node 3 times it should reach the node you have highlighted, I just keep on pressing that 'go' button at each node until it reaches one of the outter ones where the 1st link goes 'outside' the block.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:42:18 pm by CrazedHarpooner »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: June 25, 2024, 11:22:13 pm »
Ah, I get it now. :-[

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: June 26, 2024, 12:19:31 pm »
am not so sure about that, but would have to brainstorm the sourcecode to find out

Thank you, I'd be very grateful for the help. (And scared of the results... This may well impact the entire game)

In 3.4, scoped hunting rifle description still refers to the workshop manufacturing requirement, even though this requirement has been removed.

Right, this is kind of WIP. :) But I'll change it now.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: June 26, 2024, 01:54:06 pm »
Think a bug:

In "Build facilities" > "XCom Virtualized Headquarters".

- This option to build XCom Virtualized Headquarters is still available even after one is already built (there is only one allowed per base).

- It should also be noted when clicking it and trying to build a new one (or over an existing one) the message "Can not build here" pops.

In other words, the XCom Virtualized Headquarters should be white out in the menu, not gold after one has already been built.