Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1111393 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4050 on: February 14, 2024, 10:08:03 am »
In the tech tree window item dependencies are inconsistent.  For example "Alien Fuel Trace"

In my game it shows that for manufacturing Required By: Elerium (From Alien Fuel Trace) [m]

but it doesn't show other dependencies for manufacturing such as "Trace Flares" which also require Alien Fuel Trace?  Seams to be more correct in the sell window and right clicking on the entry
You're (another) of these people who confuse the TTV for what it is. It's not actually a tech tree GUI, it's a ruleset explorer.

"Alien Fuel Trace" (the research topic) is not a direct requirement of "Trace Flare" (the manufacturing project, which produces the item "Trace Flare"), "Trace Flare" (the research project) is. "Alien Fuel Trace" leads to "Trace Flare" (the research project, the actual requirement), and that is reflected in the TTV.

The sell window also only shows the direct research dependency, which is "Trace Flare" (the research project). Not the item, not the manufacturing project. It even tells you so!

I imagine this is so mainly as not to
  • clutter the interface with superfuous n-th level research requirements.
  • lower performance (crawling trough the whole ruleset all the time).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:58:16 am by Juku121 »

Offline norpan83

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: February 20, 2024, 10:33:23 pm »
Are the hauntedFarm/hauntedHouse supposed to have so high executionOdds?
33 is way more than even the early Cult missions.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: February 28, 2024, 09:39:15 pm »
I just realized (unfortunately) that you can't interrogate Gillman Hero until you have learned of Gillmen first somehow. I wonder if this is intentional. Usually interrogation doesn't have such dependencies.

EDIT: according to the descriptions, the hero has 'regained his humanity' despite experiments and is held in a prison cell (instead of alien containment like gillmen). So from that angle it seems a bit strange that you cannot interrogate him without first learning of gillmen.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 06:52:47 am by psavola »

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: February 28, 2024, 11:42:24 pm »
I wish to report a crash.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Start game
  • Click: New Battle
  • Set the settings as in the attached screenshot.
  • Click: OK

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: March 02, 2024, 01:50:21 pm »
Gillman Hero autopsy spawns STR_CORPSE_POWER_ARMOR. The string has not been defined for translation and shows up that way in tech-tree viewer. I suppose this has no real impact on the game (but OTOH the item spawned after interrogation, STR_POWER_ARMOR, is properly translated).

Offline Zennaris

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:11 pm »
Hello. Something seems wrong with a mission. I got a usual message for Strange Life Form, but when I click on it, I also have a choice to go to Zombie Hive. I didn't receive the message for Zombie Hive. There is no Zombie Hive mission in the Global Tracker. If I don't choose and click again, there is only Strange Life Form mission. But if I for example go to base screen, return to Geoscape and click on the marker then I again have a choice. Or is it the same mission? If I choose the Strange Life Form, will it be zombies in some caves?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: March 02, 2024, 11:23:12 pm »
This looks strange, so perhaps posting a save is in order. The only thing I can think of offhand is that the Hive mission is on the brink of expiring, but then you say that you can make it reappear...

Offline Zennaris

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: March 03, 2024, 07:53:03 am »
Yeah, if you zoom out and click around. Like the missions are very close together. But again, I didn't receive a message for Zombie Hive appearing. Maybe if I deal with Strange Life Form, there will be the other mission underneath it in the same place.
Also I still didn't have an opportunity to catch Red Dawn Pioneer, and it is August.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: March 03, 2024, 09:52:22 am »
Even if you have already refused to share Elerium Battery tech with MAGMA, once you research Terramite they still suggest sharing it, promising "This would allow us to offer you new, better merchandise in the future!". However, they will give you nothing (getting power armor requires you give them Elerium Battery as well).

Not sure if this message is intentionally misleading - only their marketing talk - and the player needs to check the tech tree viewer carefully to notice that the deal will give you nothing positive.

One way to avoid this is would be to define that "Do not share Elerium Battery" would also disable "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Terramite" (i.e. MAGMA would not even bother you with asking about Terramite) or that you would get an  equivalent of "Do Not Share Terramite Tech" (250 points).

I have always obtained Elerium Battery first myself, but I suppose this could occur in the opposite order as well. So even more complete fix would be to restructure the dependencies somehow so that each share/no-share decision would result in some specific result, instead of having to deal with the consequences and combinations of two separate share/no-share decisions. In such case I suppose Power Armor should be the reward of terramite and you'd need something else for elerium battery.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 09:59:49 am by psavola »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: March 03, 2024, 09:54:56 am »
Yeah, if you zoom out and click around. Like the missions are very close together. But again, I didn't receive a message for Zombie Hive appearing. Maybe if I deal with Strange Life Form, there will be the other mission underneath it in the same place.
Hmm. You do have a Zombie Hive mission that's closeby and undetected. I didn't even know you could have undetected 'terror' sites. :o

If you wait a little, it'll show up on the globe. It's not in the exact same spot as the other mission, but decently close by.

But there's indeed some funky business in that you can click on the invisible Zombie hive and get to select it. There's a spot right between the two that covers both in terms of mission site selection 'closeness', so you essentially click both the visible and the invisible site at the same time.

This might be something for OXC(E) developers to look at. At the very least, the ability to 'detect' undetected mission sites by randomly clicking on the globe is both conceptually strange and also confusing when you get a sitiation like yours. Or you get an 'invisible' mission right next to an alien base, or X-Com base, etc.

Also I still didn't have an opportunity to catch Red Dawn Pioneer, and it is August.
Not a bug, Solarius just likes his RNG. ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 09:56:42 am by Juku121 »

Offline norpan83

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: March 03, 2024, 02:27:07 pm »
For Zombie Isolation mission the allowed armors list shows UNARMORED (DOG).
But dog units are forbidden

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: March 03, 2024, 02:34:22 pm »
Perhaps some X-Com agents are into... alternative... apparel? :P I mean, it's the nineties, but still, if you're a secret agent man, you may as well indulge a little.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: March 03, 2024, 03:20:55 pm »
For Zombie Isolation mission the allowed armors list shows UNARMORED (DOG).
But dog units are forbidden

Many other missions which have unit type restrictions also have, for example, default armor or allowed armor specifications for unallowed unit types. Not sure if all of those would be unnecessary or not, and if there is a technical engine reason to include specifications also for unit types which are actually forbidden.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 03, 2024, 06:32:55 pm »
Is it intentional that you can put AI units on Combat Pilot Training? That is is the only "human-ish" training they can take.

You can put AI units to pilot crafts independently, though, so it's not so big a stretch if this is intentional.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: March 04, 2024, 09:36:00 am »
Here is a fixed spritesheet for tomb guardian.

Also, magma automatic tank have incorrect floorob. corpse_1 must have no sprite at all (empty one), not an syndicate walker corpse.

Upd.: Also here is slightly polished Chtonite inventory and ufopedia images.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:10:47 am by Nord »