Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1111643 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3945 on: November 29, 2023, 12:18:11 pm »
I try not to report on too many bugs unless they are really obvious because I play this game with my own mods. Some of this could be my own doing.
I have a storage limit mod I created that increases storage limits. That might be part of this issue.

The reason I wrote "Possible" bug. I don't want to send anyone in circles looking for anything. But it is reproducible. Happened again yesterday after I posted this.
Thank you for the reply.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: December 03, 2023, 08:33:28 pm »
EDIT:

There is a mission called STR_ACADEMY_TOWER_ASSAULT: "Golden Academy Tower", which features a double staircase. The stairs work fine for 1x1 units, but are impassable to 2x2. And I don't understand why... I've compared both maps and terrain tiles with a similar staircase in CORP, which works just fine. I fixed some minor differences, but it didn't help at all.
Help would be appreciated, but please check the current GitHub version (updated this morning).

I have attached a save (from quick battle): Souad Ayed can go upstairs (on either side of the stairs), but the Sectopod cannot.

I don't have an easy answer for you, Pathfinding is complicated as heck, but I can say at least what data was checked when the algorithm first decided to say "no":

Check tile [30,21,0], look at its OBJECT part, look at the BIGWALL parameter, it is currently set to 1 (full block)... maybe it should be set to something else?
(Just a guess, nothing more, I can be completely wrong.)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3947 on: December 04, 2023, 03:24:09 pm »
Dear all,

don't know if its a feature, but one enemy in the Vampire castle spawned in a not reachable area,

had to kill it by editing...

Impossible to see anything on these pictures. Please provide better evidence than a couple of blurred minimap screencaps. I cannot read your mind, so I cannot find the bug.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3948 on: December 04, 2023, 03:35:53 pm »
Edit: In any case, if the chainsawbots remain as they are, at least a little explanation in the pedia wouldn't go amiss. Right now, I think they don't actually have a proper entry? The armour paperdoll has a, well, chainsaw that's pretty attached to the body. The chainsaw entry looks all in the world like a regular chainsaw, and you have to go to the nerdpedia to see that it's actually a retractable ninja chainsaw.

Agreed. Done!

From what Yankes said in the relevant OXCE thread, this likely is not enough. Asymmetric vision can also be caused by unit shapes, both player and enemy.

That's true, but it will be an issue no matter what a modder does, as it's part of the core mechanics.

In version 2.9, the swimwear had a pocket (technically the left leg). In version 3.0 (and the current one), it has disappeared.

I honestly can't remember this being a case. Maybe?
Currently it's the same as for nude humans. Do you think it's wrong?

All the AI tanks, including hovertanks, have night vision 10. This seems like an oversight and is misbalanced. Having night vision capability in such mechanical units would be trivial. Especially hovertanks, with all the other advanced technology they include, should have at least moderate night vision (like 15 or 18), and IMHO it would make sense to give hovertanks 20 NV.

Good point, it's an oversight. But I'll have to think about which values should be given, so not an immediate fix.

To get to the end-game phase (i.e. MIB moon mission, orbitals, alien moon missions, etc.) you have to get MIB commander and Ethereal commander. Either one can be tricky and dependent on RNG. But I think Ethereal commander is the most difficult one, because there is only one at Arbiter craft (and nowhere else on earth). And whether you can get one in the first place, and either manage to land it or shoot it down is very RNG-dependent. Further, while etherealRetaliation mission is clearly designed to provide a way to obtain the commander, if they spot your base and do retaliation run, they send a Dreadnought, not the Arbiter, so you won't get the commander in any case.

Correct. Commander's presence on the Dreadnought would make capturing him relatively trivial.

I think getting to the end-game is made excessively difficult and RNG-dependent and it would make sense to reconsider the requirements. For example, if ANY commander, rather than just ethereal commander, would unlock 'Alien-MIB communications', that would make it much more straightforward.

That would make a mockery of the aliens, and I think also of the player's experience... And would go against the arc logic as well.

Maybe the current setup is not the best, but I don't think this means that we should play vanilla instead.

Buildings that use these TFTD stairs tiles, that the cursor points at, makes their upper floor inaccessible unless there is some other stairs. You can only walk down on them, but not up. This includes the ones in the pic.

Works for me... Would you have a save, please?

I try not to report on too many bugs unless they are really obvious because I play this game with my own mods. Some of this could be my own doing.

No problem, and thanks. I honestly don't think this particular case is a bug, but you never know.

I don't have an easy answer for you, Pathfinding is complicated as heck, but I can say at least what data was checked when the algorithm first decided to say "no":

Check tile [30,21,0], look at its OBJECT part, look at the BIGWALL parameter, it is currently set to 1 (full block)... maybe it should be set to something else?
(Just a guess, nothing more, I can be completely wrong.)

Thank you very much for checking. Appreciated!

It looks like I've changed how these stairs work in the meantime, and now it appears to work fine.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: December 06, 2023, 07:02:34 pm »
In 'Trouble in Ski Resort' mission, if you get Black Lotus, the warriors are wielding guns, not their typical ninja equipment. (Also the followers are a bit atypical, but that could be understandable.)

This is likely a more general oversight, likely due to using the same equipment template on all the cults. It would make much more sense if each cult would use their own equipment, rather than all of them having colt .45, H&K MP5, Steyr AUG, etc.

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: December 07, 2023, 03:22:12 pm »
Works for me... Would you have a save, please?
I found the issue. Turns out if the check for blocking option (BAI) is set these stairs stop working. Same for the ones on the cruise ship. If I turn it off it works again.

But that might lead to an other issue and that is that sometimes in the jungle a bush spawns at the ramp and if you have a tank in the front you are stuck. I tried to blow it up but it didn't work so I had to leave. It has happened a couple of times.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: December 09, 2023, 02:49:24 pm »
A dagon outpost mission in Europe was generated with a desert-like default 'moon' landscape with craters etc. instead of a real European terrain.

If I recall correctly, this has been discussed before, but there was no save or a way to reproduce this. Here is a save if it would help in figuring out the problem (probably in the rulesets rather than OXCE).

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: December 12, 2023, 06:16:32 pm »
'Science Gear' (STR_SCIENCE_GEAR) appears to have inconsistent forbiddenSoldierTypes. It forbids AI units and dogs, but not rats and bats. All other starting conditions are consistent in that they either allow all the animals or none of them. This is likely an oversight, because I can't think of a reason why you could take your pet rats or bats to a science mission but not your dogs.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3953 on: December 16, 2023, 12:39:50 pm »
In 'Trouble in Ski Resort' mission, if you get Black Lotus, the warriors are wielding guns, not their typical ninja equipment. (Also the followers are a bit atypical, but that could be understandable.)

This is likely a more general oversight, likely due to using the same equipment template on all the cults. It would make much more sense if each cult would use their own equipment, rather than all of them having colt .45, H&K MP5, Steyr AUG, etc.

Yes, it's not a bug, it's simply how this mission works. All cults have the same equipment, because it's the same mission. The same applies to Industrial Investigation and such.

But that might lead to an other issue and that is that sometimes in the jungle a bush spawns at the ramp and if you have a tank in the front you are stuck. I tried to blow it up but it didn't work so I had to leave. It has happened a couple of times.

Bringing minitanks to a jungle should carry such a risk.

Having said that, bushes are generally removable in such cases. Generally.

A dagon outpost mission in Europe was generated with a desert-like default 'moon' landscape with craters etc. instead of a real European terrain.

If I recall correctly, this has been discussed before, but there was no save or a way to reproduce this. Here is a save if it would help in figuring out the problem (probably in the rulesets rather than OXCE).

It was probably this super thin strip of the sea just off the eastern coast of Ireland. It's so small that I can't even see the problem on the globe. :/

I moved this border a little to the west, hopefully excluding any sea areas.

'Science Gear' (STR_SCIENCE_GEAR) appears to have inconsistent forbiddenSoldierTypes. It forbids AI units and dogs, but not rats and bats. All other starting conditions are consistent in that they either allow all the animals or none of them. This is likely an oversight, because I can't think of a reason why you could take your pet rats or bats to a science mission but not your dogs.

Rats are intended, they are at home in a lab. :)

Bats, probably an oversight. Changed.

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: December 17, 2023, 01:47:54 am »

Bringing minitanks to a jungle should carry such a risk.

Having said that, bushes are generally removable in such cases. Generally.
Oh come on, you should always at least be able to leave the craft.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: December 17, 2023, 06:29:14 am »
Bring extra doors. Just saying. :D

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: December 17, 2023, 03:55:05 pm »
Bring extra doors. Just saying. :D
At the start of the game?  :(

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: December 17, 2023, 04:24:32 pm »
At the start of the game you don't have to worry about ramps or tanks at all. Unless you've somehow added a ramp (and a tank!) to the van/chopper. :)

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: December 17, 2023, 07:18:08 pm »
Yes yes, very funny. But still, you can't really think having the exit blocked off is good game design?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: December 17, 2023, 07:33:16 pm »
With indestructible bushes, no.

With destroyable foliage, well, I can see arguments for and against. More against, though.

Do consider that this is something a modder has relatively little precision control over, and that their time and dedication are not infinite. I'm willing to deal with the occasional errant Chobham bush if it gets me more actual features and critical bugfixes. YMMV.