aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072102 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3525 on: February 06, 2023, 12:31:09 am »
Some of us just enjoy the game not being super turbo hard all the time.
How would your game become significantly harder if the loot from an Embassy was worth 5 million instead of 15? More like a Supply Ship or low-end base than a Battleship or lucking out on Power Sources in a base?

...this is an outright bug.

This is related to improper tile recovery amounts.
Debatable. It's vanilla working as vanilla does, and UFO Navigation never had recovery dividers in the first place.

I would call it a balance issue caused by making cool-looking maps, because that's what it is. Whether the mod maker wants to address it is up to him.

Personally, I'd tone it down. I mean, you get something like at most 10 navigation from even the biggest vanilla-ish UFO, 20-25 from a base that has them set as recoverable, and 45-50 from a Hybrid Embassy. And that's not all, you get more swag than from even one of the giant 'colony' bases. More Power Sources, more Elerium, more miscellaneous bits like Examination Rooms or Entertainment. Alloys are the only thing that you don't get in massive quantities.

As an aside, the new UFOs like the Troop Ship or the Arbiter also have greatly increased UFO Navigation yields. And even vanilla UFOs can have quite dissimilar amounts. 10 from a Harvester, 8 from a Terror Ship, 4 from a Battleship, 22 from another Battleship... Well, at least this UFO lottery is kinda thematic, interesting and doesn't triple recovery values.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:44:57 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: February 06, 2023, 01:59:03 pm »

As an aside, the new UFOs like the Troop Ship or the Arbiter also have greatly increased UFO Navigation yields.

Those Troop ships are crazy difficult. The ones loaded with ranking Ethrals and 8 Sectapods.

Back to the subject, it's strange because some bases, mansions yield very little loot. Playing on beginner, killed 60 enemy's, 6 surrendered and I basically got squat in return. This is why I mentioned, anything is a gift in this game.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: February 06, 2023, 02:14:07 pm »
What kind of alien base gives Aqua Plastics?

Edit: Ah, Dagon Temples. Well, the Elerium is kinda nice (making the entire haul around 5 million) but not guaranteed. The Dagon head honchos could at least carry some cash bags.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:29:07 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: February 06, 2023, 05:24:28 pm »
Ah, Dagon Temples.

You are correct.

The reinforcements are a bit much for this mission. But it builds character (for soldiers).

Yes Elerium is hearty for sure, but not much else. A steep price (66 enemy's) for 200 shots of Elerium.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: February 06, 2023, 11:52:56 pm »
Not playing on superhuman ironman might help. Not getting 8+ millions from an alien base hardly equals "super hard gameplay".
I play on the easiest possible difficulty. And with a custom mod that gives me a year extra before the alien invasion.

I mean it when I say I like things easy.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: February 07, 2023, 12:07:35 am »
Well, you could always include some extra recoveryDividers in your mod, giving more loot from all recoverable tiles. Or just increase the sellPriceCoefficient even further for mostly the same effect. No need to make Hybrid Embassies a special loot bonanza to achieve that.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: February 07, 2023, 12:40:02 am »
Just did a Hybrid Embassy I had on a save file.
Here is what I yielded

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: February 07, 2023, 12:59:37 am »
I went and cherry-picked a map with both Elerium and alien plants. It seems that around 10 million is a somewhat more common result.

For comparison, just about the best base loot I've ever seen. These are usually about 5-7 without Power Sources, or 13-14 with.

Note that no virtual aliens were harmed in this experiment, they just all happened to die from influenza. :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:10:18 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:20 pm »

Note that no virtual aliens were harmed in this experiment, they just all happened to die from influenza. :D
;D

Hey how did you get the "Value of sales" to come up on ?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: February 07, 2023, 03:20:02 pm »
I didn't. I went and 'X' sold everything, then cut'n'pasted the result onto the score screen.

Offline Frenzyk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: February 08, 2023, 09:21:19 am »
Finally got my hands on this mod. Stuck for month already. This is awesome.
Here is list of some bugs I encountered.

Language: English
OpenXcom version: 7.8 (2022-10-29)
X-com files version: 2.7

1) Cyberweb sewers. Rooms connected to long passage, but connection tends to have walls instead of free path. Had to take lots of explosives on this mission. Have no save for this one, sorry.
2) Black lotus HQ. Dojo/training rooms(pink walls) dose not have door and spawn enemies inside.
3) Avatar host remains and Avatar remains UFOpedia record have to be swapped and bit rewritten. As Avatar actually evaporates and leaves no body for examination and have no clothes.
4) I can't drop feeling, that "Deep one" alien name should be swapped with "Gill man"(as it was in original Terror from the deep). Seems logic as we also have green gill dog
5) Syndicate walker wrecks yield no UFOpedia record
6) Meridian the Hunter yield no UFOpedia record. Don't know for corpse.
7) Not bug, more like balance. For some reason I encountered bats mission only once. This is upsetting, as I wanted to have more bats and have only one.

Also "Filed equpment" UFOpedia category seems to be overcludded. Ever thinked to split it? Or at leaste maybe align headers text to left so it is easier to "scan" it? Don't know if it even possible.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: February 08, 2023, 09:27:18 am »
The further I go, the more I don't understand the mechanics of fire damage. I dug up a couple of firing launchers. They have 90 fire damage. How do I deal this 90 damage? I made three direct hits on a dog without armor - it stands alive.  This weapon easily destroys hybrid drones, and ordinary oziron dudes need to be shot to the point of stupefaction. Moreover, damage is most often not inflicted at all. The simplest giant spider tanks these 90 fire damage as if there is not 90, but 9 damage.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: February 08, 2023, 10:25:13 am »
The further I go, the more I don't understand the mechanics of fire damage. I dug up a couple of firing launchers. They have 90 fire damage. How do I deal this 90 damage? I made three direct hits on a dog without armor - it stands alive.  This weapon easily destroys hybrid drones, and ordinary oziron dudes need to be shot to the point of stupefaction. Moreover, damage is most often not inflicted at all. The simplest giant spider tanks these 90 fire damage as if there is not 90, but 9 damage.
I don't recall what "firing launchers" is, but most fire weapons deal 5-10 damage. Damage value listed in pedia-page is for radius calculation.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: February 08, 2023, 10:27:17 am »
Cyberweb sewers. Rooms connected to long passage, but connection tends to have walls instead of free path. Had to take lots of explosives on this mission.
More or less intended at this point. The globe briefing even advises you to take along some explosives.

Black lotus HQ. Dojo/training rooms(pink walls) dose not have door and spawn enemies inside.
Probably intentional? The walls are made of paper and can be shot to pieces with little trouble.

I can't drop feeling, that "Deep one" alien name should be swapped with "Gill man"(as it was in original Terror from the deep).
Solarius considers the original naming a mistake and has swapped the two.

Meridian the Hunter yield no UFOpedia record. Don't know for corpse.
Meridian already has a Dossier entry, which you need to enable the mission.

Not bug, more like balance. For some reason I encountered bats mission only once. This is upsetting, as I wanted to have more bats and have only one.
Welcome to the mission RNG that is this mod. :) There is a tiny chance to get a live one from Land Surveys, but otherwise hope for a new mission (or save-edit one in) and be more careful with the critters. They're fragile.

Also "Filed equpment" UFOpedia category seems to be overcludded. Ever thinked to split it? Or at leaste maybe align headers text to left so it is easier to "scan" it? Don't know if it even possible.
Second this since we can now scroll pedia categories. Used to be so that it was not possible, and one had to divvy up the articles among a fixed number of options.

Aligning would probably be an OXCE feature request, since the same strings are used everywhere else and thus adding whitespace is not feasible even if Solarius wanted to do that for every entry.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 10:29:35 am by Juku121 »

Offline Frenzyk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: February 08, 2023, 05:47:42 pm »
More or less intended at this point. The globe briefing even advises you to take along some explosives.
Gateway leading to wall? I dunno... also took some time to fugure out what's wrong.

Probably intentional? The walls are made of paper and can be shot to pieces with little trouble.
Thankfully. But still: to be locked in paper room in your own base!? There is also curtains in surgeries, that you can easly pass, but have no vision. More fit here maybe?

Solarius considers the original naming a mistake and has swapped the two.
I wonder why exactly....

Meridian already has a Dossier entry, which you need to enable the mission.
Same as Gertrude Ellison, for example. But for Ellison you will have interrogation report and combat analysis. Dr. Alpha have interrogation report. It feels very frustrating to make research and get nothing as he costs 1M. BTW, that's reminds me that Natasha Morozova also don't have any page if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the mission RNG that is this mod. :) There is a tiny chance to get a live one from Land Surveys, but otherwise hope for a new mission (or save-edit one in) and be more careful with the critters. They're fragile.
Darn! It was pain to catch 2 alive initially.