Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071536 times)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2925 on: June 16, 2021, 09:49:42 pm »
As far as I can tell the actual issue quite a bit more complicated. Notice that STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_ does not actually appear in alien deployments. It is also not listed as the name of your alien base - you can check that by renaming the marker on the map (click on the name in the intercept window). If you rename the marker and check you save file you'll notice that the base now actually has a "name" entry attached to it:
i did not know I could rename markers.

I am guessing that the game appends the underscore to signify IDs (i.e. alien base or rather terror site numbers) - but for whatever reason these are not actually displayed in-game.

My guess is, that it attempts to append a number and somehow fails. This results in an invalid string as the marker's name, which then does not get parsed. I do not know why the appending of number fails, but since names of regular alien bases and UFOs work with numbers, this would probably also work if the number was there.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2926 on: June 23, 2021, 12:28:43 pm »
I encountered a crash to desktop blocking game progress. I worked around it by figuring out there is one specific UFO that is triggering it, and deleting that UFO from the save game. But I don't really want to do that, as that UFO was going to terrorize some civilians, and they deserve to die (either by the hand of the aliens, or as a collateral damage by the hand of X-COM, trying to prevent the aliens from killing the civilians).

I attach the save with the crash. Run the game for 4 hours in-game to have it crash. If you open the save file and search for "# This ufo causes the crash." you will find the UFO that, if commented out, will unblock the game.

I also attach the log of the crash.

Edit:

Looks like changing the missionSiteZone of the UFO from
missionSiteZone: 23
to
missionSiteZone: 0

fixes the problem.

Looks like at some point the game somehow generated an alien mission with broken missonSiteZone. Specifically, this is terror mission and to my understanding such missions need to have missionSiteZone of 0.

Yeah, looks like it. I have no idea why it happened though, it's a normal terror. Could be some non-trivial issue with the globe? Sorry, I can't help here.

I don't know if it's been reported yet, and there are too many pages to dig through, but I keep crashing on completing the Cyberweb Airship Assault.  I hope this helps you out.

I tested your save and it's working fine. Must be an installation issue.

I have come across this as well, and Solarius stated that he (supposedly) fixed this.

No way I've ever stated that, because I haven't fixed this. IT'S AN OBSOLETE FEATURE AND SO I'M NOT GOING TO FIX IT.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 23, 2021, 05:25:16 pm »
No way I've ever stated that, because I haven't fixed this. IT'S AN OBSOLETE FEATURE AND SO I'M NOT GOING TO FIX IT.

While I do remember that you did say it was an obsolete feature, it was implied that it's appearence was an update artifact. This one was nowhere near an update.

So I have to ask.
Does an obsolete feature mean it should not appear in current version (1.18b), or that it will be removed in the next?
If the former, then there is a fix that needs to be done, namely making it not actually appear. Because it does.
If the latter, then it is fine.

Also, something that is not nescessarily to be fixed, but to be vary about. 1.18b misidentifies itself as 1.18. I thought I was playing 1.18, went to update and found out that 1.18b was identical to what I already had, down to version number in metadata.yml .

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 23, 2021, 10:59:51 pm »

Quote from: Mathel
So I have to ask.

So do I.

Solarius, this happened in a completely new game while  playing on 1.8b - if it "obsolete", why is it still included? Strictly speaking this isn't even about a "feature" - as far as I can tell it's about your naming scheme for alien colonies/bases.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:15 am »
OK guys, at this point I cannot say whether the problem persists or not. I need a save with with issue, on a campaign that started on 1.8 or unofficial 1.9.

For now, I'll just re-add the string

Code: [Select]
  STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_: "Alien Colony"
even though it makes no fucking sense, there is no item STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_ in deployments, there is only STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE...

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 24, 2021, 07:44:48 pm »
OK guys, at this point I cannot say whether the problem persists or not. I need a save with with issue, on a campaign that started on 1.8 or unofficial 1.9.

even though it makes no fucking sense, there is no item STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_ in deployments, there is only STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE...

I attached a modified save (set to spawn an alien base at the end of the month in UK or the Falklands) to the original report here.

As far as I can tell this is a OXCE-related bug that can not be fixed mod-side (unless you revert alien bases to their default name). My guess that the game tries to parse the numbering/ID of the alien base but fails to correctly carry it over (or rather fails to correctly discard it) to the modified string.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: June 25, 2021, 02:35:11 pm »
Are you meant to have to buy the hatchet and then research it in order to see its ufopaedia entry? Seems strange when all the other items you start with the ability to buy have their entries unlocked by default.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 26, 2021, 07:43:20 pm »
Thank you for v1.9 !

Version 1.9 + OXCE 7.0
This is not a bug... just an adjustment request.
In the Ovnipedia we see for "STR_GILLMAN_HERO_AUTOPSY" the listOrder "163565".
This places it very far down the list.
In order to put it back "in its place" just below "STR_GILLMAN_HERO", I think it should have the listOrder "144426" (144423 or higher).

For information, "STR_JANISSARY_AUTOPSY" has the listOrder "163564".

For "STR_NIGHTOPS_ARMOR_H_UC" I propose the listOrder "16789".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:59:27 pm by BlackStaff »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 27, 2021, 01:38:13 pm »
Are you meant to have to buy the hatchet and then research it in order to see its ufopaedia entry? Seems strange when all the other items you start with the ability to buy have their entries unlocked by default.

No, I forgot to block the hatchet from purchase before researching it. But it doesn't break anything and is too minor for an emergency patch.

Thank you for v1.9 !

You're very welcome!

Version 1.9 + OXCE 7.0
This is not a bug... just an adjustment request.
In the Ovnipedia we see for "STR_GILLMAN_HERO_AUTOPSY" the listOrder "163565".
This places it very far down the list.
In order to put it back "in its place" just below "STR_GILLMAN_HERO", I think it should have the listOrder "144426" (144423 or higher).

For information, "STR_JANISSARY_AUTOPSY" has the listOrder "163564".

It's a complicated thing, as it depends if we treat "Gillman Hero" as a rank (role) or life form (biological organism)... This is a problem with many Ufopaedia items, which I need to address one day, and I don't know how yet.
The problem is that the Gillman Hero should be displayed next to other alien ranks, like Aquatoid Navigator or Deep One Chieftain. It's a different section from the one containing articles like Aquatoid or Deep One. But the Gillman Hero is both...

For "STR_NIGHTOPS_ARMOR_H_UC" I propose the listOrder "16789".

Yeah, this is just a weird bug, thanks.

Offline Jarr003

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: July 03, 2021, 05:58:46 pm »
I've been playing this mod for a while, but since the update, the game's crashed twice on the inventory screen, with this message:

The crash happens every time I equip this soldier with a tritanium vest and go into the inventory screen:

Here's the save file, in case it helps.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:34:55 pm by Jarr003 »

Offline Jarr003

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: July 03, 2021, 08:44:06 pm »
By the way, I had another bug earlier in that campaign, where after an AI unit died I was unable to restore it. It was equipped as a rocket drone and was killed by a sectoid.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: July 04, 2021, 01:24:29 pm »
I've been playing this mod for a while, but since the update, the game's crashed twice on the inventory screen, with this message:
(...)

The crash happens every time I equip this soldier with a tritanium vest and go into the inventory screen:
(...)

Here's the save file, in case it helps.

Darn! The definition was indeed botched, but only for this particular face (I hope). Thanks for letting me know!
Attached a quick fix. I'll make a proper release later.

By the way, I had another bug earlier in that campaign, where after an AI unit died I was unable to restore it. It was equipped as a rocket drone and was killed by a sectoid.

Maybe it was completely evaporated, so the core could not be retrieved?

Offline Jarr003

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: July 04, 2021, 02:55:56 pm »
Maybe it was completely evaporated, so the core could not be retrieved?

That's probably what happened, then

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: July 04, 2021, 09:06:01 pm »

Any update on this? Did the save file help?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:02 am »
Any update on this? Did the save file help?

I just added the string with underscore, so it should be fine on the player's end.
I'll consult Meridian when he comes back.