Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072910 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2760 on: January 12, 2021, 02:07:13 pm »
Been off from the forum for a good while, but something quite funny happened to me today after returning to the game, the game got stuck on the alien's turn because the enemy tried to enter a tile that they couldn't see through, but a unit of mine was on the other side.
XD
Going to attach the save to this, but perhaps this isn't just a modded thing, so will also notify the general topic about this bug...
Kisses to you all and happy late new year!

And happy New Year to you!

Yes, indeed it's an issue with the curtains. I have no idea how to fix this (apart form removing curtains or making them impassable concrete). Curtains are used in many places and in various mods, so I think it should be addressed on some higher level if possible.

I don’t remember exactly when SKYRAIDER appeared, so I didn’t think it would be better to write about it. Move the message where you want.

An extremely unpleasant moment with textures was discovered. There are holes in the side wall near the upper left door that you can easily shoot through if you choose the right angle (the bots do a great job with this).

The LOFTs involved seem to not leave any space, so I'm not sure why. I'll address it in the current community project of adding custom LOFTs and try to get a better shape.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
On an Edge of the Mudranger's Range
« Reply #2761 on: January 13, 2021, 12:46:26 pm »
I have a bug to report. It's not an X-COM Files bug, but it was discovered playing this mod, so I'm posting the description here. Point to the right place, if it is not appropriate.

Load the attached savefile. There will be one craft, an airborne mudranger, set on route from a base in China to a destination in Japan, on an edge of the mudranger's range. If you set the game speed on the slowest one, the craft will reach the destination. However, if you reload and change the speed on the fastest, it will not reach the point due to low level of fuel.

PS. Hmm, now I can't reproduce the bug. Mudranger doesn't reach the point even on the slowest game speed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:51:12 pm by Fomka »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: January 13, 2021, 12:58:38 pm »
Sounds like a roundoff error.
Since you indicated game speed has an effect could you also upload the options.cfg file?

Reason:
There are 2 calculation paths when it comes down to aircraft, based on an option (Predict UFO trajectory, e.g. `meetingpoint:`). The options file shows the one you are currently using, makes debugging slightly easier.

p.s. how can you reload if the save is called ironman?  ;)

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
On an Edge of the Mudranger's Range
« Reply #2763 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:06 pm »
OK, I've found the way to reproduce the bug.

The savefile will be the same. Attached the options, as you've asked.

1. Order the mudranger to return.
2. Wait until 100% refuelment.
3. Send it again to the same destination. It will reach it on any game speed.

Yes, the game speed does not matter.

And I'm able to reload the save named Ironman because I've made a copy of this save. The mission seemed important, so I want to have a copy in my archive of prebattle saves. Maybe I'll review some of them in the future, to remember, how it was to, say, try to capture a Medium Scout with 2 men team, or to crush a cult safehouse resistance with 6 bio-enhanced men wielding machineguns.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:11:44 pm by Fomka »

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: January 13, 2021, 01:23:54 pm »
Cyberweb Battleship raid seems to crash... alot. During enemy turn, but after few reloads (in attempt to prove it) the crashing was gone, but instead i found another, reliable crashing sequence.

So its an assault, my men and women are scattered around it, 2 of them are inside while rest are either around mudranger or around it (Those around mudranger are there for overwatch duty if anyone tries to poke their heads out). When you load this save it will be centered on a sectopod, to the right of it is a trooper in powerarmour armed with heavy plasma rifle. Shoot the centurion she sees and then end the turn (if you destroy him ofc). Then it should crash

I am playing with the resound mod, but i doubt it has any affect on something like this.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: January 13, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »
Thank you for the swift reaction. From the config i can conclude it has nothing to do with the setting mentioned earlier (it is not there, hence not in use).

From you updated description i am tempted to see this as not a bug but a technical limitation caused by saving coordinates. We can only store limited precision, spherical coordinates rely on infinite precision (due to sine and cosine). This seems an edge case due to round-off 'error'.

p.s. well i am glad you use this "ironman" procedure. If it turns out to be a real bug that warrants a solution you just provided a good debugging save.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: January 13, 2021, 01:28:31 pm »
Cyberweb Battleship raid seems to crash... alot. During enemy turn, but after few reloads (in attempt to prove it) the crashing was gone, but instead i found another, reliable crashing sequence.

Doesn't crash for me! The mission ends normally and plays the mission outro, then I can go back to Geoscape and continue as usual.

(You have an awful lot of stuff to sell, though. Like, over 2000 units.)

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: January 13, 2021, 01:40:32 pm »
Doesn't crash for me! The mission ends normally and plays the mission outro, then I can go back to Geoscape and continue as usual.

(You have an awful lot of stuff to sell, though. Like, over 2000 units.)
Hmmp... odd, nevermind
Yes, i have... alot of shit to get rid off, or not because i lets say increased the storage capacity (in files) so much that XCOM base could be the worlds largest dump. And that alongside other tweaks but these are just number changes... i doubt it has to do anything with crashing ?.
Not sure, i guess my PC just gets a heartattack over and over when i kill that centurion or something, i guess Doom Enternal is OK but not this game is just beyond its capability.
Edit: Using console commands to kill everything seems to let me complete the mission, i think the game crunches up at the mass surrender.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:42:34 pm by Mrvex »

Offline Thorbear

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: January 18, 2021, 07:47:13 pm »
The MiB battleship top floor appears to have broken doors - there is both a door and a wall in the same tile, not possible to open from the outside, and from the inside, once the doors are opened, there is just a wall.

Additionally, I seem to be running out of things to research at about ~81%, and yet I have not found any progress towards Shogg, even after painfully exploring multiple caves. And I've researched Dreaming, but I never got the option to explore the dreamscape?

Offline Thorbear

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: January 20, 2021, 09:50:37 pm »
Additionally, I seem to be running out of things to research at about ~81%, and yet I have not found any progress towards Shogg, even after painfully exploring multiple caves. And I've researched Dreaming, but I never got the option to explore the dreamscape?
Turns out I had not caught any live Chtonite - I was fooled by having a Chtonite Combat Analysis, which I apparently got from a medic or something.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: January 20, 2021, 11:22:04 pm »
Oops! Thanks for the MiB ship report, my bad. Fixed.

Offline Creature

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: January 23, 2021, 09:28:40 pm »
After research akm gun, it didnt appeared for purchase in market menu... researching SKS and it didn't appeared too. What should i do?

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: January 23, 2021, 10:45:25 pm »
After research akm gun, it didnt appeared for purchase in market menu... researching SKS and it didn't appeared too. What should i do?

Some weapons require additional cult arms dealership research.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: January 24, 2021, 12:40:05 pm »
Secret mission in a ski resort

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: January 24, 2021, 02:54:07 pm »
well, should have gone by day :)