aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072263 times)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2535 on: July 09, 2020, 01:41:07 pm »
Hazmats aren't particularly sturdy.
Perhaps an armor with equal stats, but which drops a "Destroyed Hazmat suit" on death. This Destroyed Hazmat suit would have a negative sell price (let's say -$30 000) and negative point value (which I assume would be added to the negative points from losing a soldier.)
The idea is that you are merely borrowing them. If you bring them back, nothing happened. But if you get them destroyed, whoever lended them to you will want compensation. Bigger compensation than if you just bought them.

The environmental damage idea is good for sewers. But I wonder if agents would even survive in dimension X for a few seconds without an environmental suit of some kind. Of course I do not know it's atmosphere composition, so perhaps they would.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 09, 2020, 07:06:04 pm »
Are AI units supposed to get awards and thus skill increases?

I thought that their stats are fixed and cannot be changed apart from using a different armor (chassis).

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 09, 2020, 07:49:36 pm »
Do you have Pulse Pistol Chem Clip researched? If yes, then it should appear in the Pedia; if it doesn't, further investigation is needed.

The save file suggests it is (the relevant tech is listed as "discovered"), but the tech never actually showed up for me on the research list. I note that a new version of the mod you released since I made that post changed the research cost of the chem clips since then- that might have fixed it but I don't know if that'll change the issue retroactively.

Edit: After installing the new version of the mod and manually removing the techs from my "discovered" list so I could research them properly, they show up as they should. I can only assume the nonexistent research cost interacted with UFOpedia somehow to make it think it was never researched.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:01:44 pm by anothrgamer1234 »

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 09, 2020, 11:40:17 pm »

I thought that their stats are fixed and cannot be changed apart from using a different armor (chassis).
AI skill can be increased through normal exp gain, too, not just awards.
Strange, for sure. Maybe this can be handwaved as machine learning?

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 10, 2020, 03:17:14 am »
AI skill can be increased through normal exp gain, too, not just awards.
Strange, for sure. Maybe this can be handwaved as machine learning?
UFOPedia explicitly says they can do that.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: July 10, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »
UFOPedia explicitly says they can do that.

The only relevant text I found was that they work exactly like normal soldiers, so OK. I must have missed or forgotten that.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2541 on: July 10, 2020, 04:38:37 pm »
Hazmats aren't particularly sturdy.
Perhaps an armor with equal stats, but which drops a "Destroyed Hazmat suit" on death. This Destroyed Hazmat suit would have a negative sell price (let's say -$30 000) and negative point value (which I assume would be added to the negative points from losing a soldier.)
The idea is that you are merely borrowing them. If you bring them back, nothing happened. But if you get them destroyed, whoever lended them to you will want compensation. Bigger compensation than if you just bought them.

Yes, it makes sense and would work. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to add a new armour type (a duplicate of Hazmat with identical stats and looks, but different behaviour) just for this one mission (Okay, and Dimension X, but you should have better EVA suits by then.)

The environmental damage idea is good for sewers. But I wonder if agents would even survive in dimension X for a few seconds without an environmental suit of some kind. Of course I do not know it's atmosphere composition, so perhaps they would.

For a while, yes. Just not very long.

No, they're definitely alive. Well, in a way.

The save file suggests it is (the relevant tech is listed as "discovered"), but the tech never actually showed up for me on the research list. I note that a new version of the mod you released since I made that post changed the research cost of the chem clips since then- that might have fixed it but I don't know if that'll change the issue retroactively.

Yeah, I did it just in case, no idea if it was needed though.

Edit: After installing the new version of the mod and manually removing the techs from my "discovered" list so I could research them properly, they show up as they should. I can only assume the nonexistent research cost interacted with UFOpedia somehow to make it think it was never researched.

Many thanks for checking. I won't do it again.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:50 am »
Destroyed XCOM roboturret corpses don't have proper names, just "STR_XCOM_ROBOTURRET_CORPSE".

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2543 on: July 15, 2020, 10:49:55 am »
Destroyed XCOM roboturret corpses don't have proper names, just "STR_XCOM_ROBOTURRET_CORPSE".

Thanks, fixed.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 16, 2020, 07:24:50 am »
The Black Sphere doesn't give any kind of report when researched. Given its obvious role in the Cult of Apocalypse arc, is this ntentional or a bug?

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 16, 2020, 10:02:58 am »
Muton Commanders don't count for "Alien Commander is researched".

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:18 am »
1. Subculture: Westman. The text to the left side obscures some detail (wagons I think) on the picture, while the right side is mostly empty. You should flip the picture horizontally. That will also make the cowboy look left (west).

2. Light Cannon. Both BS and AP ammo have the same color. BS should be red like the shotgun ammo. (or may be not, I am not sure if it is reserved for incendiary). Disregard, I didn't realize that only the tip is dofferent.

3. The Cult of Apocalypse research topic has prerequisites that don't have a string:
STR_CULT_OF_APOCALYPSE_PREQ_WESTM
STR_CULT_OF_APOCALYPSE_PREQ_TECH_I
STR_CULT_OF_APOCALYPSE_PREQ_LUCHAD
The cavemen are fine though.
The above seem to be cut, due to lack of space in the research viewer.

4. Subculture: Cavemen. So they dress in furs and leather and believe in veganism!? Does not compute.
Although they are rich kids that play neanderthals, so it's probably fine. Still real cavemen probably ate everything they could get their hands on and utilized every part of the animal. Yes, you can make an edible soup out of hooves.

5. I recently restarted my 0.9.9 campaign with 1.4 and I haven't gotten Red Dawn and EXALT Bases in a few months. I got Gang Wars and Exalt Outpost, but no bases. May be it is just bad RNG, but I attached the save just in case.

6. Are the max stats for agents lowered now? I mean after adding the awards? Could you tell me where the max stats are shown?
I think I have a 2-3 people with way too high stats right now and I want to correct that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:32:57 pm by tarkalak »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 16, 2020, 02:33:06 pm »
2. Light Cannon. Both BS and AP ammo have the same color. BS should be red like the shotgun ammo. (or may be not, I am not sure if it is reserved for incendiary).
Can post a screenshot? Colors are showing just fine on my end.

6. Are the max stats for agents lowered now? I mean after adding the awards? Could you tell me where the max stats are shown?
I think I have a 2-3 people with way too high stats right now and I want to correct that.
[/quote]I haven't compared the stat limits, but the training multiplier has been lowered as well, so there might have been other changes. You can compare the stats by looking at soldiers_XCOMFILES.rul and you can edit them in your savegame (search for agent names).

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: July 16, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »
Can post a screenshot? Colors are showing just fine on my end.
My error, I didn't realize that only the tip is different.

I haven't compared the stat limits, but the training multiplier has been lowered as well, so there might have been other changes. You can compare the stats by looking at soldiers_XCOMFILES.rul and you can edit them in your savegame (search for agent names).

Thanks.

EDIT: I had a bunch of people that instantly graduated from training after I updated. Isn't the training just working up to a preset number? What is the multiplier doing?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:44:30 pm by tarkalak »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: July 16, 2020, 08:02:14 pm »
EDIT: I had a bunch of people that instantly graduated from training after I updated. Isn't the training just working up to a preset number? What is the multiplier doing?
The training multiplier defines how long it takes for a stat to increase. Again, I don't know if the training stat caps were changed.

EDIT:
Just a small peeve, but there is no hybrid sprite for the bulletproof coat, only for the normal coat. The armor defintion simply resuses the hybrid sprite.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:41:34 pm by krautbernd »