Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071872 times)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1980 on: October 05, 2019, 06:21:06 pm »
They should panic and even surrender just fine.

They have never panicked and never surrendered through all my games, even under fire. The same situation with Black Lotus assassin and Dagon Morph. Black Lotus warriors and Chosen of Dagon could fall into panick sometimes, but never surrend.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:30:53 pm by X-Man »

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 05, 2019, 09:56:07 pm »
From the ufopaedia wiki;

Surrendering, Bughunt
surrenderMode    Allows enemies to surrender (they will be taken as prisoners). Possible options:

0 = no surrender
    1 = if all remaining standing enemies can surrender; and they want to surrender at this very moment (their current status is panicking or berserking)... end the battle
    2 = if all remaining standing enemies can surrender; and they have panicked/berserked at least once or have been stunned at least once... end the battle
    3 = same as option 2, but enemies must also have empty hands

In all 3 cases, enemies marked as "auto surrender" are not checked and count as surrendered.

XCF uses surrenderMode 2 (..\mods\XComFiles\Ruleset\vars_XCOMFILES.rul, line 26), so for enemies to surrender all currently-living enemies must have panicked or berzerked at least once. EXALT Infiltrators have 80 bravery (..\Ruleset\units_XCOMFILES.rul, line 942) which means that their fellow EXALT goons being wiped out doesn't really scare them too much. Odds are they'd have to be the last man standing of a large number.

If you really wanna make 'em surrender (rather than killing them or taking them alive with tazers/etc.) you'll need to hit them with psi panic until their morale breaks.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 05, 2019, 10:52:30 pm »
to Arcalane:
That makes no sense, because psi-amp is very far from the time of destroying cults. Wait for psiclones? Nah, it's easier and faster to stun enemy.

Actually, this issue with strong-minded Excalt enforcers does not bother me very much. I'm just wondering is it bug or a feature.  ;)

Offline spectrefps

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 06, 2019, 09:55:24 am »
Crash upon clicking "begin mission" on a Cyberweb heist mission on the geoscape.

Looks like it tried to place a Military Computer in a bad spot (outside of map boundaries?).

Error message in log is:

[06-10-2019_02-43-00]   [ERROR]   FileMap::mapExtResources(xcom2, TFTD): external resources not found.
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Random item STR_MILITARY_COMPUTER is outside of map block STORMMOUNTAIN04, position: [12,6,0], block size: [10,10,4]
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x585c30 OpenXcom::CrossPlatform::stackTrace(void*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x586fb0 OpenXcom::CrossPlatform::crashDump(void*, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x41c780 exceptionLogger()
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0xaff950 MPEGaction::MPEGaction()
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0xcb9060 void std::iter_swap<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0xcbdf60 OpenXcom::ScriptGlobal::addTagType<OpenXcom::ScriptTag<OpenXcom::RuleItem, unsigned char> >()::{lambda(unsigned long long)#1}::_FUN(unsigned long long)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x4e53d0 OpenXcom::BattlescapeGenerator::loadMAP(OpenXcom::MapBlock*, int, int, int, OpenXcom::RuleTerrain*, int, bool, bool)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x4e8830 OpenXcom::BattlescapeGenerator::addBlock(int, int, OpenXcom::MapBlock*, OpenXcom::RuleTerrain*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x4eeca0 OpenXcom::BattlescapeGenerator::generateMap(std::vector<OpenXcom::MapScript*, std::allocator<OpenXcom::MapScript*> > const*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x4f2d10 OpenXcom::BattlescapeGenerator::run()
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x6759d0 OpenXcom::ConfirmLandingState::btnYesClick(OpenXcom::Action*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x5a18a0 OpenXcom::InteractiveSurface::handle(OpenXcom::Action*, OpenXcom::State*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x657c90 OpenXcom::State::handle(OpenXcom::Action*)
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x59ee70 OpenXcom::Game::run()
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x41c8c0 SDL_main
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x91adc0 console_main
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x91aee0 WinMain
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   ??
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   ??
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x7ff8f8697960 BaseThreadInitThunk
[06-10-2019_02-43-06]   [FATAL]   0x7ff8f8e5a250 RtlUserThreadStart
[06-10-2019_02-49-09]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Random item STR_MILITARY_COMPUTER is outside of map block STORMMOUNTAIN04, position: [12,6,0], block size: [10,10,4]

*** Attached is the save made just before reaching the mission location(s) (was enroute to both a Cyberweb heist and a Mongorn gathering).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1984 on: October 06, 2019, 06:10:20 pm »
They have never panicked and never surrendered through all my games, even under fire. The same situation with Black Lotus assassin and Dagon Morph. Black Lotus warriors and Chosen of Dagon could fall into panick sometimes, but never surrend.

Chosen and Assassins don't surrender, you're right. This is intended.

Crash upon clicking "begin mission" on a Cyberweb heist mission on the geoscape.

Looks like it tried to place a Military Computer in a bad spot (outside of map boundaries?).

Yeah, I get this report at least once per page.

As I've said A MILLION TIMES ALREADY:
- Try starting the mission again (with savescumming on)
or
- Get the "nightly" version from GitHub
or
- wait for 1.0

Offline spectrefps

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: October 07, 2019, 02:34:46 am »
Yeah, I get this report at least once per page.

As I've said A MILLION TIMES ALREADY:
- Try starting the mission again (with savescumming on)
or
- Get the "nightly" version from GitHub
or
- wait for 1.0

Ah ok lol, just recently installed the mod, so I must've missed the posts, as this is the first I've heard of it XD. I always had the savescumming setting on (yeah, filthy casual, I know...  lol). Tried reloading and entering the mission again before making my original post, but it still got the crash. Is a 'Cyberweb Heist' on a fixed map or does it choose from a pool of maps (with the chance to 'roll' a different map) like other missions? If the latter, I guess that means we can simply 'reroll' maps until it gets one that does not produce the error? Or am I misunderstanding the method in which it determines the map?

Also, if I go the GitHub nightly path, does that require starting a new campaign or would I still be able to continue my current one?

*** UPDATE:
After the 6th or 7th time reloading the save and trying to start the mission, it finally worked! :D (was worried it had gotten 'locked' to some specific map after the first few attempts, even with savescumming/seed refreshing option on >_<).
As my first "Cyberweb Heist" mission, it was pretty damn cool, definitely not what I was expecting (don't want to spoil it for anyone)! Boy howdy all that 'accidentally dropped' tech and guns XD!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:37:47 am by spectrefps »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 08, 2019, 04:24:16 pm »
Glad it worked out for you :)

If you're curious, the problem was that one of the blocks had bad coordinates for one item lying on the floor, beyond the area of this block. So the item was generated on another, neighbouring block. But if the original block was near the map's edge, then the item was generated outside of the map, crashing everything.

Regarding the GitHub version: yes, it is compatible and won't invalidate your campaign. But some important things to know:
1) It uses a recent version vof OXCE, also unreleased yet. You will have to get it from Meridian's repository or wait for release.
2) Due to a complete overhaul of soldier experience, your agents from 0.9.9x will be stronger than they should. Not a huge issue, but they'll be pretty OP.

Offline The_Ranger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 12, 2019, 06:59:53 pm »
I have a save with an example of a consistent freeze/crash (save and screenshot attached). I'm playing 9.9d, so disregard if you aren't interested in bug reports from previous versions, or if this issue is known to have been corrected.

Situation summary: Thunderstorm has landed next to a shot-down Very Small UFO and a "1 unit vs 1 unit" battle ensues. Agent encounters alien too tough to shoot with his weapon, but agent is packing a High Explosive and attempts to use it to kill the alien.

State of play: Agent has High Explosive primed in hand and is in a position to throw it at the enemy.

To create freeze: Throw high explosive at alien and end turn.

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 17, 2019, 05:49:13 pm »
Each report is a save, with a description of what to do to get a crash. Ideally something as simple as "press end turn, shooting happens then the game crashes". Try to make a save as close to the crash as possible (i.e. just before pressing end turn) so that testers don't have much to do.

Extra info that is useful:
1 - Screenshot of the offending unit.
2 - Info about the offending unit and how to circumvent the bug.

Get a m_range_check crash when throwing Dynamite next to a wall. The attached screenshot shows where to throw the dynamite to trigger a crash. My game version is 0.99e.

Note that I have personally modded X-COM Files so that the "power" of everything in xcomfiles.rul is multiplied by 2, for stronger weapons (due to personal preference)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 17, 2019, 07:17:37 pm »
To create freeze: Throw high explosive at alien and end turn.

@Solarius: the tiles making up the craft seem to have wrong armor value (0), for example at tile [14,32,1]... pls check

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: October 17, 2019, 09:07:25 pm »
Get a m_range_check crash when throwing Dynamite next to a wall. The attached screenshot shows where to throw the dynamite to trigger a crash. My game version is 0.99e.

[17-10-2019_20-04-50]   [INFO]   MCD OSIRON_FINNIK object 44 has invalid DieMCD: 123

I think this will be fixed in next version.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 17, 2019, 11:24:49 pm »
@Solarius: the tiles making up the craft seem to have wrong armor value (0), for example at tile [14,32,1]... pls check
Is it possible to access these values in-game or only via MCD Edit? I tried locating the offending tile/tiles in-game but had limited success doing so (I was able to narrow it down to middle/hind part of the Interceptor, but that's about it). I might also be missing an option that enables continous debug output during battle/geoscape. Is there a way to catch these freezes and trace them back to in-game actions?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:27:51 pm by krautbernd »

Offline The_Ranger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:01 am »

Thanks for checking this out, you're a good man Charlie Brown!

Edit: By the way, more on the topic of taste and streamlining than bugs; is there value added by separating Batteries from Ammunition as an item category? I feel like the intuitive thing is to look under Ammunition for most items that are considered Batteries.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:19:12 am by The_Ranger »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 20, 2019, 04:11:29 pm »
Thanks guys, I fixed all 0 armour values.

Is it possible to access these values in-game or only via MCD Edit? I tried locating the offending tile/tiles in-game but had limited success doing so (I was able to narrow it down to middle/hind part of the Interceptor, but that's about it). I might also be missing an option that enables continous debug output during battle/geoscape. Is there a way to catch these freezes and trace them back to in-game actions?

I don't know, it's more of a dev question. It's hard to debug anything without Visual Studio.

Edit: By the way, more on the topic of taste and streamlining than bugs; is there value added by separating Batteries from Ammunition as an item category? I feel like the intuitive thing is to look under Ammunition for most items that are considered Batteries.

I'll probably unify them all as ammo, if it bothers you people.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 21, 2019, 07:42:16 am »
If you send a craft with human soldiers and AIs (flying scout) to a Chakram (delicious cake) mission, then the AI is chosen for the mission, which leads to a few other bugs like no weapon, and insufficient strength to carry the cake.

Also the Staff of Heart Grip is available as a weapon in the mission, which is probably not intended.