Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071488 times)

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1890 on: June 22, 2019, 07:56:09 pm »
In my v0.99d I have : "Its more efficient research facility allows for 5 additional Scientists, and its machine learning capabilities allow for better analysis of UFO sightings (more efficient detection)...
... This facility can be built as normal or over a standard HQ."  ;)

"Its more efficient research facility allows for 5 additional Scientists"
You're both right.
This module provides 25 storage spaces and 10 scientists.
But by removing the standard HQ there are only 5 more scientists in total.

So it's interesting to keep the standard HQ... right?  8)   ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1891 on: June 22, 2019, 09:09:15 pm »
Well, the entry in the Base Buildings section of the Ufopaedia, in latest available version still mentions it provides space for 1 more scientist while the INFO menu says it offers 10 spaces instead. If the incoming version has a different text already, then it's fine.

This is taken directly from the 0.9.9d archive:

STR_CYBER_HQ_UFOPEDIA: "An improvement of the standard HQ, operating with a state-of-the-art AI core. Its more efficient research facility allows for 5 additional Scientists, and its machine learning capabilities allow for better analysis of UFO sightings (more efficient detection). It is required for certain advanced facilities.{NEWLINE}This facility can be built as normal or over a standard HQ."

Someone's clearly bullshitting me and dragging me away from actual modding.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 22, 2019, 09:23:09 pm »
I swear I'm not lying. Here are some pics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 22, 2019, 11:11:55 pm »
I swear I'm not lying. Here are some pics.

Hm. What can I say? Works for me. And the file was there in the latest update. So it must be bad installation.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 25, 2019, 03:04:17 am »
Yes, things change. I don't really have more to say.
I understand your desire to nerf it :)

However, there's a cyclic trend in RL fighter plane design: trying to get rid of cannons. Now and then advances in missiles seem to make cannons obsolete. A new fighter is designed around this idea and proves a big failure. I find it hard to believe that the ultimate craft in its line makes such a famous mistake.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 25, 2019, 07:07:13 am »
In my research tree it shows the "Men in Black" researches as items.  I have the prerequisites but can't research because I don't have the item. I'm a version behind, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 26, 2019, 12:29:41 pm »
In my research tree it shows the "Men in Black" researches as items.  I have the prerequisites but can't research because I don't have the item. I'm a version behind, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Look at the "Unlocked by" entities. When you research one of these you get one of the researches listed at "Unlocks one of these at random:" (don't remember actual text.).

So, in short, you need to repeatedly research MIB Coordinators, MIB Commanders and MIB Psi-Ops until one of them coughs up the "Man in Black" topic.
It is a good idea to research all the guns and other items/dossiers they unlock before interrogating them so you will minimize the chance of getting junk from a hard interrogation.

The Item "Men in Black" exists only to block researching the topic the old fasioned way.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:14:56 pm by tarkalak »

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 27, 2019, 02:26:36 am »
You are thinking of the "Gives one for free section."  "Men in Black" is not in that section.

Also I just Started the Atlantis Temple mission and all my men are in Diving Suits despite coming in wearing a mix of aqua-plastic armor, power suits and synthsuits.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:43:14 am by LuigiWhatif »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:12 pm »
I understand your desire to nerf it :)

However, there's a cyclic trend in RL fighter plane design: trying to get rid of cannons. Now and then advances in missiles seem to make cannons obsolete. A new fighter is designed around this idea and proves a big failure. I find it hard to believe that the ultimate craft in its line makes such a famous mistake.

Maybe, I'm not arguing. I don't think I can do much with the air combat in X-Com; I just don't like it. It was fine in vanilla, but in mods, it's just unsatisfying.

I don't think this research is available, or does anything. Why did I even make it? I have no idea.

Also I just Started the Atlantis Temple mission and all my men are in Diving Suits despite coming in wearing a mix of aqua-plastic armor, power suits and synthsuits.

OK, this sounds like a bug... I'll check.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: June 28, 2019, 09:02:30 am »
I'm still on 0.9.9c but I found these two problem doors on the alien embassy mission that I haven't seen mentioned.  Both doors would not open when I found them.  I got into the alien door room by shooting down through the roof.  I shot the bathroom door and that makes it passable but it does not open like a door.  I think my shot destroyed a 'hidden' wall but I didn't think to save before I shot it.  I am running Ironman mode.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: June 29, 2019, 02:47:59 am »
the air combat in X-Com; I just don't like it. It was fine in vanilla, but in mods, it's just unsatisfying.
What do you dislike?

Unrelated problem with Tech Tree Viewer. It indicates that "Strange Creature Autopsy Performed" is unlocked by any of a number of "... autopsy" items, e.g. "Megascorpion Autopsy". "Megascorpion Autopsy" topic requires "Megascorpion Autopsy" item. Clicking "Megascorpion Autopsy" item in the list doesn't lead anywhere. Similarly, for "Megascorpion Corpse" topic there is no indication that it gives "Megascorpion Autopsy".

Is this a viewer bug?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:09:59 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 29, 2019, 11:13:06 am »
I'm still on 0.9.9c but I found these two problem doors on the alien embassy mission that I haven't seen mentioned.  Both doors would not open when I found them.  I got into the alien door room by shooting down through the roof.  I shot the bathroom door and that makes it passable but it does not open like a door.  I think my shot destroyed a 'hidden' wall but I didn't think to save before I shot it.  I am running Ironman mode.

I'll ask Finnik, but since you could overcome it, it should be fine as is. :)

What do you dislike?

Well it's kinda primitive.

Unrelated problem with Tech Tree Viewer. It indicates that "Strange Creature Autopsy Performed" is unlocked by any of a number of "... autopsy" items, e.g. "Megascorpion Autopsy". "Megascorpion Autopsy" topic requires "Megascorpion Autopsy" item. Clicking "Megascorpion Autopsy" item in the list doesn't lead anywhere. Similarly, for "Megascorpion Corpse" topic there is no indication that it gives "Megascorpion Autopsy".

Is this a viewer bug?

Probably not, but it's not really a question to me, since it's not a mod issue. I don't really use the TTV as I don't need it, so I probably know less about it than an average player.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: June 29, 2019, 05:29:20 pm »
Well it's kinda primitive.
What would you prefer? A turn-based air combat minigame?

Now that I think of it, a Battlescape mission with a UFO and a plane is doable. Perhaps, with exit grids for the plane in 8 corners. And time limit for UFO to escape. How about that?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:21:38 pm by tkzv »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: June 29, 2019, 06:04:37 pm »
Why turn-based ... perhaps the kiting simulator from xenonauts is more his thing.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: June 29, 2019, 06:08:57 pm »
Why turn-based ... perhaps the kiting simulator from xenonauts is more his thing.
The only part of Xenonauts I disliked. I never figured out how to play it :(

Where to report misspelled Libya? Here or to OXCE thread? It's "Lib_i_a" and should be "Lib_y_a".

Update: I didn't find it in OXCE files, but in XCF Language/en-US.yml has ' STR_LIBIA: "LIBIA" '
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:58:33 am by tkzv »