aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071887 times)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1875 on: June 19, 2019, 06:29:27 pm »
But mice aren't rats! :)

Yep, they are aliens that search for the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

Also the idea of Dogons wielding Heavy Plasma in one hand and their own poetry in the other is terrifying.

EDIT:
About training in the Gym:
As far as I understand you must hit 100 Bravery and 100 Reactions to finish training. However neither is trained at the Gym resulting in soldiers that can be put into training but who cannot improve at all.

May be you should drop the requirements for both of these skills?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:55:19 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:31 pm »
The Chief engineer you get after researching "Chief Engineer Recruitment".
I got that part, I asked who is Stark.

His prerequisite is "Cool Alien Gadget" which usually means Psiclone.
Depends. Last 2 times I got Flame Glove much earlier.

I wonder why Reaper implants are no longer valid?

As far as I understand you must hit 100 Bravery and 100 Reactions to finish training. However neither is trained at the Gym resulting in soldiers that can be put into training but who cannot improve at all.

I haven't read the YAML, but my starting agents finished training in less than 1 year. None of them have 100 bravery or reactions. Except 1 "chief agent" with 40 bravery and 102 reactions.

Back to bugs. Horrors of Antarctica mission behaves oddly.

1. After the mission I got no loot. To reproduce, load the attached "no loot-2.sav" and shoot the last enemy. If it's a bug, what is the correct loot for the mission? (To add it manually.)

2. Taser and electric club kill enemies. Is this intentional? To reproduce, use the same "no loot-2.sav" — all agents have both.

3. At one point I saw metamorph hit a civilian turning him into another metamorph. Then I heard screams and several other civilians screamed, fell and disappeared. Who were they? Victims bitten offscreen earlier? Then why did they disappear instead of becoming monsters?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:13:20 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1877 on: June 19, 2019, 09:35:08 pm »
Yep, they are aliens that search for the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

Right, so not the X-Rats. :)

Also the idea of Dogons wielding Heavy Plasma in one hand and their own poetry in the other is terrifying.

And easily doable!
...well, not exactly, but a sword + a poetry tome would work. Poetry ruins your morale.

EDIT:
About training in the Gym:

Good point, done.

1. After the mission I got no loot. To reproduce, load the attached "no loot-2.sav" and shoot the last enemy. If it's a bug, what is the correct loot for the mission? (To add it manually.)

There is no loot. Or rather, points are the loot.

2. Taser and electric club kill enemies. Is this intentional? To reproduce, use the same "no loot-2.sav" — all agents have both.

Hmm, I can't see anything out of order...

3. At one point I saw metamorph hit a civilian turning him into another metamorph. Then I heard screams and several other civilians screamed, fell and disappeared. Who were they? Victims bitten offscreen earlier? Then why did they disappear instead of becoming monsters?

I don't know, but something could be wrong with your install... These things shouldn't happen.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 20, 2019, 03:16:49 am »
Or rather, points are the loot.
I was more concerned with corpses and living specimen to study. Already found the "Metamorphs" research.

Hmm, I can't see anything out of order...
If stunned metamorphs should die instead, just say so :) Dart pistol has the same effect as shockers.

I don't know, but something could be wrong with your install... These things shouldn't happen.
Not likely. I ended up removing all old files and installing OXCE and the mod anew.

UPDATE: I can't install cannon to Thunderstorm. It only allows missiles. Why?
I can't reproduce it in debug mode, but I'll try to make a savefile, where it manifests.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:45:16 am by tkzv »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 20, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
I got that part, I asked who is Stark.
 Depends. Last 2 times I got Flame Glove much earlier.

I wonder why Reaper implants are no longer valid?
I haven't read the YAML, but my starting agents finished training in less than 1 year. None of them have 100 bravery or reactions. Except 1 "chief agent" with 40 bravery and 102 reactions.

I know, but I thought of Stark Raving Mad, like in Dwarf Fortress, and couldn't resist. The flame glove and the rest of the gadgets either have prerequisites or are come later than Psiclone, so it is usually the Cool Alien Gadget.

I might have misunderstood when should training end, but this guy doesn't progress at all and is still elligeble for training. Might be the Trowing or Melee accuracy.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 20, 2019, 12:35:43 pm »
I was more concerned with corpses and living specimen to study. Already found the "Metamorphs" research.

Yeah, I decided to skip the entire standard corpse - > autopsy chain, as this mission only comes up once and is all sorts of weird.

If stunned metamorphs should die instead, just say so :) Dart pistol has the same effect as shockers.

There is no place to give this info, because ENEMY UNKNOWN! :P

Not likely. I ended up removing all old files and installing OXCE and the mod anew.

Well, I'll keep an eye on it... But I've certainly never seen civilians just disappearing instead of turning into metamorphs... Maybe they turned into metamorphs, but you couldn't see them because they're short?

UPDATE: I can't install cannon to Thunderstorm. It only allows missiles. Why?

Because that's how it was designed.
Honestly, what other answer did you expect?

I might have misunderstood when should training end, but this guy doesn't progress at all and is still elligeble for training. Might be the Trowing or Melee accuracy.

No, you're correct. Throwing is 1 point less than the training maximum, and melee - 3 points less.

EDIT:

I'm getting a crash on the Samael mission. If you load my save, the last remaining enemy should be visible. Shoot it with the selected character who can see it. I have the option for ending the mission automatically when all enemies are disable, so I immediately get the end of turn indicator then the error.

Found and fixed. If you like, you can now download the GitHub version for an instant fix.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:00:31 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline asc767

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 20, 2019, 03:36:53 pm »
Found and fixed. If you like, you can now download the GitHub version for an instant fix.

Perfect, I just completed that mission.

On another note, I'm a bit confused about the tech tree for mass driver & gauss weapons. I'm able to manufacture gauss rifles, but I can't create ammo for them. I haven't yet researched each type of mass driver though. I do already have HWP gauss hovertank & can make its ammo.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 20, 2019, 03:55:37 pm »

Perfect, I just completed that mission.

On another note, I'm a bit confused about the tech tree for mass driver & gauss weapons. I'm able to manufacture gauss rifles, but I can't create ammo for them. I haven't yet researched each type of mass driver though. I do already have HWP gauss hovertank & can make its ammo.

Yes, you need to examine a Gauss clip before you can manufacture it.

Offline asc767

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 20, 2019, 04:07:55 pm »
Yes, you need to examine a Gauss clip before you can manufacture it.

Allright I will have to keep my eye out for those. Can't recall if it was cyberweb or Osiron that had those, but i've already destroyed cyberweb.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 20, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »
Allright I will have to keep my eye out for those. Can't recall if it was cyberweb or Osiron that had those, but i've already destroyed cyberweb.

I think Cyberweb doesn't have this stuff, though I might be wrong. Osiron should.

I really need to make more openable crates to ensure a weapon is always accompanied with some ammo...

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 20, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »
Well, I'll keep an eye on it... But I've certainly never seen civilians just disappearing instead of turning into metamorphs... Maybe they turned into metamorphs, but you couldn't see them because they're short?
Just an empty place. No enemy, no corpse, nothing. They did count as "civilians killed".

Because that's how it was designed.
Honestly, what other answer did you expect?
The cannon was available in some earlier versions.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 20, 2019, 05:26:02 pm »
Just an empty place. No enemy, no corpse, nothing. They did count as "civilians killed".

That's actually pretty worrying.
I'll run some tests, but can anyone confirm this problem?

The cannon was available in some earlier versions.

Yes, things change. I don't really have more to say.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 22, 2019, 07:10:31 pm »
The Ufopaedia's entry on Virtualized Headquarters still mentions the building adds a single slot for a new Scientist, when it actually offers 10 spaces plus some additional storage to boot. Also, will we ever get the Plasma equivalent of the Drone Bay? Currently Miniguns and Lasers are a thing, but not plasma-based Drones (or Gauss ones).

Just to know.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 22, 2019, 07:14:19 pm »
The Ufopaedia's entry on Virtualized Headquarters still mentions the building adds a single slot for a new Scientist, when it actually offers 10 spaces plus some additional storage to boot.

"Its more efficient research facility allows for 5 additional Scientists"
WTF

Also, will we ever get the Plasma equivalent of the Drone Bay? Currently Miniguns and Lasers are a thing, but not plasma-based Drones (or Gauss ones).

Not yet. I'm experimenting with the concept.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49:21 pm »
"Its more efficient research facility allows for 5 additional Scientists"
WTF

Well, the entry in the Base Buildings section of the Ufopaedia, in latest available version still mentions it provides space for 1 more scientist while the INFO menu says it offers 10 spaces instead. If the incoming version has a different text already, then it's fine.