Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072481 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1860 on: June 18, 2019, 10:44:40 am »
But.. I've just said in the very post you respond to.

A reminder that the bug I've reported months ago with both "OpenXcomExPlus.exe" and "OpenXcomEx.exe" mentioned in the mod's readme is still there.

Okay, after reading your post like 10 times I still don't know what the issue is.
I think it's about some discrepancy in the readme. I will check when I can.

Can you check if researxhing the driver’s license doesn’t remove it feom inventory (thus allowing you to research the same license three times for the combat analisys of three different civilians)? It is possible I just had four licenses instead of one (leaving me one license to seçl afterward), but I didn’t check and I’m playing ironman so I cannot recheck.

There was such a bug, but not in the latest version.

Also, unrelated question, but I assume that all the dossiers unlocked through interrogations give extra points towards the council evaluation?

Yes, all dossiers give 50 - 200 points.

In my mind the only real bug is that the Laser Pistol doesn't need research to be equipped. Of course I don't have a battery yet so it is dead weight.

Why the hell would it need research to be used? It's literally just a man-made pistol! Seriously, WTF?

Whether you need or don't need Std Lab for disassembly of super high tech weapons is arguable. I think that the science team will want to at least put it in an industrial level tomograph before playing with the screwdrivers. It is possible that there are microscopic shaped charges that would destroy critical parts of the design. But your point of view is also valid.

Well, I changed it regardless. You convinced me.

When I finish a Hybrid farm mission with an alien drone stunned, it does not appear in the list of loot. However, it is correctly added to the base store. To reproduce, load the attached "cannot sell drone.sav" and shoot the last hybrid. (3rd base, "China".)

Reported ad nauseam. It's because robots aren't stored in any kind of prison despite being "live" units. Fixing this wouldn't be modding related.

I studied "Alien Data Slate", was told that it requires workshop processing, but no such task appeared in the "Manufacture". What am I missing? I've got Standard lab + Intelligence + Bio and workshop on the same base.

Do you have Alien Encryption?

Why does MAGMA only sell a limited selection of tritanium ammo? Why don't they also sell Magnum rounds?

They could, but it's cheaper to make it yourself.
If you like, I can think of buying Magnum rounds from them.

Do you plan adding body armour for rats?

I am not against it on principle, but I can't see what kind of armour you could put on a rat.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 18, 2019, 01:33:19 pm »
When I finish a Hybrid farm mission with an alien drone stunned, it does not appear in the list of loot. However, it is correctly added to the base store. To reproduce, load the attached "cannot sell drone.sav" and shoot the last hybrid. (3rd base, "China".)

If I kill the drone, its corpse correctly appears in the loot, see "HF1-1.sav". (Only tried that in debug mode.)

Fixed.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 18, 2019, 01:56:23 pm »
Fixed.

Cool, thanks. That was a nice surprise!

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:41 pm »
I still don't know what the issue is.
I think it's about some discrepancy in the readme. I will check when I can.
Let me try to go full detail: X-Com Files readme file, in the section mentioning installation, mentions both old "OpenXcomExPlus.exe" and "OpenXcomEx.exe" file while only one of them is still used and included nowadays as per design as you've told me last time I've mentioned this.

It's a minor thing, but may cause confusion.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:21 pm »

Why the hell would it need research to be used? It's literally just a man-made pistol! Seriously, WTF?

If you give a modern rifle to a medieval crossbowman, will he be able to use it properly for a long time without proper instructions?
Point that bit at the enemy and pull the trigger is pretty obvious, but there is more to it. I assume that researching the Laser Pistol involves writing a service manual.

The laser weapons are fundamentally different type of arm and completely unknown to the agents. How do you service them? How do you know if the parts are aligned properly? How do you know if the battery isn't leaking or that the cooling system isn't about to malfunction? Is that scratch just a scratch or is it impeding the work of the weapon?

I am overthinking this one so I stop here. :D

Offline asc767

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 18, 2019, 06:35:43 pm »
I'm getting a crash on the Samael mission. If you load my save, the last remaining enemy should be visible. Shoot it with the selected character who can see it. I have the option for ending the mission automatically when all enemies are disable, so I immediately get the end of turn indicator then the error.

Screenshot of the error "Segmentation Fault" and log attached too.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 18, 2019, 06:42:44 pm »
Do you have Alien Encryption?
No. And the text for "Alien Data Slate" speaks of workshop decryption as of something immediately available, rather than something that needs to be researched first.
May I suggest a better description?
STR_ALIEN_DATA_SLATE_UFOPEDIA: "Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store specialized technical information. They can only be found in the possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible. In order to access their memory banks, they must first be decrypted in the Workshop. For that we need to study alien encryption technology. {NEWLINE}>Concealable"

They could, but it's cheaper to make it yourself.
If you like, I can think of buying Magnum rounds from them.
The way I'm playing right now, I have only 1 overworked workshop, no money to build another one, but probably enough money for couple dozen overpriced clips I'll need tomorrow.

And speaking of new ammo, how about tritanium rounds for Desert Eagle?

I am not against it on principle, but I can't see what kind of armour you could put on a rat.
Same as on a dog. Something like this:
http://www.ratballs.com/images/RatBandageA.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/RatHealth/BANDAGINGRATS/Rossi/i-GZJM469/1/6ae45596/M/RossiPilnyBandage1-M.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/RatHealth/BANDAGINGRATS/ProblemBandages/i-pRMqpgj/0/28a4ecbf/S/IMG_1201_edited-S.jpg

Or do you mean you need inventory pictures and sprites?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:51:47 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 18, 2019, 09:31:38 pm »
Let me try to go full detail: X-Com Files readme file, in the section mentioning installation, mentions both old "OpenXcomExPlus.exe" and "OpenXcomEx.exe" file while only one of them is still used and included nowadays as per design as you've told me last time I've mentioned this.

It's a minor thing, but may cause confusion.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, fixed.

If you give a modern rifle to a medieval crossbowman, will he be able to use it properly for a long time without proper instructions?

Not straight away, but a laser pistol is sufficiently similar to a normal firearm.

There are two classes of items which you cannot use without some legwork:
- Stuff which is truly different from what we know, like sonic weapons or psi weapons
- Stuff which was purposefully made to be unusable by you, like most Cydonian weapons

But you ask good questions, I admit.

I'm getting a crash on the Samael mission. If you load my save, the last remaining enemy should be visible. Shoot it with the selected character who can see it. I have the option for ending the mission automatically when all enemies are disable, so I immediately get the end of turn indicator then the error.

Screenshot of the error "Segmentation Fault" and log attached too.

OK, I'll check later, thanks.

No. And the text for "Alien Data Slate" speaks of workshop decryption as of something immediately available, rather than something that needs to be researched first.
May I suggest a better description?
(...)

Thanks, this is good!

And speaking of new ammo, how about tritanium rounds for Desert Eagle?

How many times must I explain this?
If I make tritanium rounds for just one real weapon, I'd have to make it for all the fucking weapons in the mod!
No. Fuck no. Tritanium allows stronger explosions, and Earth guns aren't meant to withstand such forces. DEAL WITH IT.

Or do you mean you need inventory pictures and sprites?

Yes, that's what I need... But also, what is the point in putting a goddamn bandage on a rat? What is the gain here?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 19, 2019, 03:46:22 am »
But also, what is the point in putting a goddamn bandage on a rat? What is the gain here?
The pictures are an example how the suit of armor can be put on a rodent protecting most of its body.

Actually, there was such thing as bullet-shooting crossbow, which shot lead or stone balls. The use of the long pipe and the trigger would be immediately obvious. Recharging — not so much.

Thus any alien point-and-click alien weapon should be usable on the battlefield without research :)

Point that bit at the enemy and pull the trigger is pretty obvious, but there is more to it. I assume that researching the Laser Pistol involves writing a service manual.

Now, reloading and proper storage do require research, in my opinion. More so for manufacturing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:38 am »
The pictures are an example how the suit of armor can be put on a rodent protecting most of its body.

Yes, but I am more concerned with usability of a rat armour. It would have to be pretty thin compared to dog armour (which is pretty flimsy itself), and would still undermine rat's speed and stealth - its main advantages beyond dark vision. So I think it's not tactically justified.
I don't want to impose such decisions on players, maybe they think otherwise... But I don't want to waste working hours on something I don't believe in either.

Actually, there was such thing as bullet-shooting crossbow, which shot lead or stone balls. The use of the long pipe and the trigger would be immediately obvious. Recharging — not so much.

Interesting.

Thus any alien point-and-click alien weapon should be usable on the battlefield without research :)

And this is mostly true!

Now, reloading and proper storage do require research, in my opinion. More so for manufacturing.

Manufacturing certainly, but I just assume X-Com, as an organization directly responsible for alien technology research, can manage the minimum of maintenance on tech they don't understand. After all they aren't a military organization and they have goddamn Stark as the chief engineer. :)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:18 pm »
Rat armor for Bytey and Bytess.

On a side note the mice from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would make a great addition or even Arc. (last pic)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:34:17 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 19, 2019, 12:59:00 pm »
But mice aren't rats! :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 19, 2019, 01:09:58 pm »
they have goddamn Stark as the chief engineer. :)
Who?

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 19, 2019, 03:16:53 pm »
Who?

Stark - as in Tony Stark (Ironman) who's a brilliant engineer.  He did make a flying suit out of junk in a cave after all!

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:43 pm »
Who?

The Chief engineer you get after researching "Chief Engineer Recruitment". His prerequisite is "Cool Alien Gadget" which usually means Psiclone.

The fact that you need to research an alien drug to get an engineer is pretty funny. I imagine he is Stark raving mad. :D