aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071489 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1410 on: October 07, 2018, 09:59:24 pm »
But the item disappeared from my base inventory after researching it, so I don't have it anymore.
I think, I had a similar problem with 0.9.3. I didn't report it, because I can't guarantee I didn't sell it by accident.

Seems like I would need it to have someone decode, and also "UNIT" seemed like maybe it was some kind of placeholder text rather than anything I've heard of.
It's not a placeholder. To find about U.N.I.T. you need to study
Spoiler:
dead Jarheads.
If you don't want to open the spoiler, just study every enemy, dead and alive, and every lead this unlocks, and you'll learn about UNIT. After that decoding is a simple Workshop job.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:23:44 am by tkzv »

Offline GreatSwordOfVictory

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:54 am »
Okay, so, first post, so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong. Also, love this mod to death, recently started playing it, thanks to everyone involved! You make this stuff awesome!

On to business. I just noticed this today – when I go into the "New Battle" mode, everything is fine up until I finish a mission, I hit end mission, crash. So I looked at the log file. I have attached said log file.

After seeing this, I was confused, because I've been running a regular campaign for almost a week (IRL time) with no problems, so it very well may be something that is restricted to the "New Battle" mode.

If you need any other information, please just let me know! Thanks again!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1412 on: October 10, 2018, 12:20:12 am »
Hi, and thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately the log doesn't say anything meaningful, but the Quick Battle is more of a debugging tool than anything else and it may fail in mods even if an actual campaign works perfectly okay This may happen for several reasons, most commonly because of an incorrect race/mission combination. If you can tell me which mission and race/faction you used, I might be able to think of something, but it's not guaranteed either, as the problem could lead elsewhere.

Offline GreatSwordOfVictory

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 10, 2018, 01:46:51 am »
Unfortunately the log doesn't say anything meaningful, but the Quick Battle is more of a debugging tool than anything else and it may fail in mods even if an actual campaign works perfectly okay This may happen for several reasons, most commonly because of an incorrect race/mission combination. If you can tell me which mission and race/faction you used, I might be able to think of something, but it's not guaranteed either, as the problem could lead elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what little I've messed around with, it looks like it happens semi-randomly with the original alien races (Sectoid, Snakeman, Muton, Ect) on any mission, any map. At this point, I'm not quite sure if this is even worth investigating further because of how...well, random it is, and the fact that it's seemingly only in Quick Battle. But hey, no harm to foul!

Thanks, and I look forward to what's coming next!

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 10, 2018, 08:13:46 am »
I'm not 100% sure, but from what little I've messed around with, it looks like it happens semi-randomly with the original alien races (Sectoid, Snakeman, Muton, Ect) on any mission, any map. At this point, I'm not quite sure if this is even worth investigating further because of how...well, random it is, and the fact that it's seemingly only in Quick Battle. But hey, no harm to foul!
There may be a quick way to reproduce it, if you need several tries:
1. In the configuration file enable "debug".
2. Start New Battle and save the game.
3. Press Ctrl-d to enable debug and Ctrl-k (i think) to kill all enemies.
4. If this crashes the game, post the savefile. If not, try again.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:05 pm »
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a list of feedback for XCF, that's not even remotely similar to a bird or a plane, what's wrong with you.

(Note that my campaign is now over. My tech counter reached 85% but I went and debug unlocked all of the Ufopedia and went over everything I hadn't read already. As such I have read every string that is accessible via the Ufopedia. That includes a lot of stuff that is presumably deprecated, but there you go.)

Dem strings:
- The following strings appear to be missing: STR_UNARMED_WASPITE, STR_UNARMED_TASOTH, STR_SECRETS_OF_LO_WO, STR_SECRETS_OF_LO_WO_UFOPEDIA (those last two are obviously WIP though). Also, many armor strings are not in, such as STR_ETHEREAL_SPEAKER_ARMOR. These can show up on mind controlled aliens. I'm unsure if it's worth having a string for every single alien type however.
- STR_ANEXIS_OFFER_UFOPEDIA: "I thank you for your intervention on our behalf and defeating" would be better as "I thank you for intervening on our behalf and defeating". "frontline" should be "front line". The semicolon would be better as a full stop (this sentence meanders a bit). Assuming that full stop, "so I" would be better as just "I".
- STR_DREAMERS_UFOPEDIA: Nothing specifically wrong here, just felt it was a little rough. Suggest a rewrite: "Apparently the ancient psions developed a technique called 'deep dreaming', which allowed them to enter a dream state they used for meditation and even communication with one another. This skill still survives in some Immortals, but even among them it has become rare." I left out the bit about the "humbling experience" because it's a tad non sequitur.
- STR_ADVANCED_UNDERWATER_OPERATIONS_UFOPEDIA: "Warning: any dogs on this mission will drown!" makes more sense as "Warning: any dogs on underwater missions will drown!"
- STR_TASOTH_DATA_PAD_UFOPEDIA: "repeat the process" would be better as "duplicate the process". Suggest rephrasing "due to all the Zrbite" as "when the Zrbite buildup in its system reaches critical mass".
- STR_TASOTH_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "The whole body lacks" as "The body wholly lacks".
- STR_SONIC_CANNON_UFOPEDIA: "Featuring" should be "It features".
- STR_DEEP_SEA_OPERATIONS_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "Also we will have priority access to any Zrbite they may recover" as "We will have priority access to any Zrbite recovered by HD".
- STR_MASS_DRIVER_RIFLE_UFOPEDIA: "is lack of autofire setting" would be better as "is a lack of an autofire setting".
- STR_ZOMBIE_CATACOMBS_DESCRIPTION: "Our 'Zombie ecologists' team" would work better as "Our team of ecologists tasked with investigating Zombies".
- STR_ZOMBIE_HIVE_BRIEFING: "with strong Zombie presence" should be "with a strong Zombie presence".
- STR_WASPITE_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "Grafted on to the body," does not need the comma.
- STR_LO_WO_REFUGE_DESCRIPTION and STR_LO_WO_REFUGE_BRIEFING: "The joint work" would be better as "A joint effort".
- STR_TENTACULAT_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: I felt the need to shoot this with the Rewrite Cannon: "Our autopsy has revealed a myriad of small cybernetic implants that are lodged in the creature's large brain. It possesses receptors for visible light as well as for thermal imaging, so this monster can navigate with unerring accuracy even in the inky depths of the ocean. Its internal organs are mostly vestigial, just barely sufficient to sustain it. An external connector leads into its stomach, so it is logical to assume it is fed nutrients directly by its masters."
- STR_TENTACULAT_UFOPEDIA: "such as this" as a standalone subject, while classy, becomes pretentious if overused. Suggest changing the second instance to "something like this".
- STR_GREMLIN_POD_UFOPEDIA: "some kind of a trap" would be better as "some kind of trap".
- STR_SECTOID_GUARD_UFOPEDIA: "separated from normal Sectoid chain of command" should be "separated from the normal Sectoid chain of command". "We can expect to see them more" would be nicer as "We can expect to see more of them".
- STR_DEEP_SEA_ANALYSIS_UFOPEDIA: "has lead me" should be "has led me". "shrug off explosives and gunfire as if they were nothing" would be better as "shrug off explosions and gunfire as if it was nothing".
- STR_MIB_ACTIVITY_UFOPEDIA: "aliens-related" should be "alien-related". "concerned about" should be "concerned with". "know more" would be better as "find out more".
- STR_MIB_IDENTITY_UFOPEDIA: I don't like "the world elites", suggest "the world's driving powers". "MiB were" would be better as "the MiB were".
- STR_HYBRID_BASE_UFOPEDIA: "diffused" would be better as "diffuse".
- STR_HYBRID_MIB_MEETING_UFOPEDIA: "among half-human hybrids' associates" should be "among the half-human hybrids' associates".
- STR_DOSSIER_GUNTER_MEYER_UFOPEDIA: "a highest-ranking member" should be "the highest-ranking member". "the scope of which" would be better as "whose chief business".
- STR_MRRSHAN_RIFLE_UFOPEDIA: "projectiles, not much different from Earth design" does not need the comma. "additional 25% damage" should be "an additional 25% damage".
- STR_SKULL_STAFF_UFOPEDIA: "a subtle but disturbing effect of breaking down" would be better as "the subtle but disturbing effect of breaking down".
- STR_STRANGE_ALUMINIUM_TABLET_UFOPEDIA: "10 thousand" would be better as either "ten thousand" or "10,000".
- STR_MIB_STORMTROOPER_UFOPEDIA: "They wear light power suit" should be "They wear a light power suit".
- STR_GIANT_SPIDER_KING_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "The Spider King body" would be better as "The Spider King's body".
- STR_WERECAT_BLACK_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "a higher level of cognitive functions" as "cognitive functions of a higher level". "It may" should be "They may".
- STR_FLOATER_LEGIONNAIRE_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "in any conditions" would be better as "no matter the conditions".
- STR_BADASS_CHRYSSALID_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "It is a special property of all Chryssalids" as "It appears all Chryssalids possess this unique talent". "it comes useful" should be "it comes in useful".
- STR_BADASS_CHRYSSALID_WEAPON_UFOPEDIA: "attack in similar" should be "attack is similar".
- STR_CELATID_WEAPON_UFOPEDIA: "Celatid spits" would be better as "Celatid spit is".
- STR_CARCHARODON_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "half-functional" as "minimally effective".
- STR_CARCHARODON_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "a malfunction of their robust regenerative abilities, leading their flesh to slowly reject their cybernetics. These problems would seem to indicate that they are a recent development" as "a side effect of the creature's robust regenerative abilities, leading its flesh to slowly reject the cybernetics. These problems would seem to indicate that this species is a recent development".
- STR_JANISSARY_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "some sort of a lightning generators built into their arms" as "some sort of lightning generator built into each of their arms".
- STR_LOBSTERMAN_FERAL_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "Its shell is nigh-impervious against anything that can't be wedged between the carapace plates and laughs in the face of firearms" is humorously ambiguous. Suggest "Its shell is nigh-impervious to anything that can't be wedged between the carapace plates, and laughs in the face of firearms".
- STR_HORROR_UFOPEDIA: "It repeatedly tries to attack" would be better as "It constantly tries to attack".
- STR_LARGE_ALIEN_DRONE_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "with actual anti-gravity unit" should be "with an actual anti-gravity unit".
- STR_REPTOID_DRAKE_UFOPEDIA: "use best equipment" would be better as "use the best Reptoid equipment available".

Dem other bits:
- The Tasoth Factory mission allows a full complement of soldiers to participate, which goes against the standing instructions for underwater missions (I didn't expect it so I went in somewhat under-equipped). Consider explicitly mentioning it in the mission description.
- I think STR_ADVANCED_UNDERWATER_OPERATIONS_UFOPEDIA should explicitly mention that the Trident has a capacity of 15.
- STR_REPTOID_DRAGONFIRE_TURRET_AUTOPSY and STR_REPTOID_DRAGONFIRE_TURRET use the same article string.
- One of the Juggernaut Suit's strengths is superior underwater NV. This info can't be gleaned from the stats page, so maybe it should be mentioned in the description.
- The Reptoid Assassination Squad mission times out very quickly considering you can only do it with rather slow vehicles.
- It makes no sense to me that laser, mass driver and gauss cannons are bought, not manufactured. I'm hopeful that this is a temporary state of affairs.
- I had 5 battleships spawn simultaneously on a base assault mission. All 5 of them despawned after the tactical mission though. But it seems like the game got confused with the hunter-killer missions. Save attached for good measure.
- I think there is value in adding production items for retrofitting Sectopods from Laser to Plasma and back. These HWPs are the only type to use Alien Electronics, which makes them limited.
- The Neural Whip trains reactions and throwing, but uses firing accuracy. I don't think that's a good thing. When training with any tool, one doesn't generally improve with some other tool.
- Tactical Neural Implants are good for nothing, so they might as well be removed.
- Since the Cybermite is robotic, maybe it should not be susceptible to psi attacks. I had a similar concern with the Holodrone, but there are indications that that unit is not completely robotic which would make it okay.
- Similar to the Flame Spider, I've never seen a Cybermite explode on death. I actually tested it by killing one a bunch of times with save scum on, but failed to trigger an explosion. I'm convinced it isn't working.
- I'm unsure why the Tentaculate (I will never not call it that, maturity is overrated) has nonstandard vulnerabilities to laser, plasma and EMP damage, since there are no weapons in those categories that can ever be used against it.
- The Golden Ankh research topic should probably consume said Ankh.
- The yellow active unit arrow is misaligned on the Seabot.
- The diagonal passages on the underwater city map cannot be passed through (or even seen through most of the time). See image. This is not a problem per se, only enemies can spawn inside of them, and spotting them can be problematic absent psi sense.
- Issues with the TFTD base map. See image. In particular, the block containing the MacGuffin does not fit with the other blocks, which results in weird black dead-ends. It does have a connection to the rest of the map though (just), so the mission is at least perfectly playable.
- Issues with the Atlantis Temple map. See image.
- The female Synthsuit sprite has its head screwed on wrong. This only applies to the underwater version.
- Both Synthsuits seem to have issues with the left arm when a weapon is held. This only applies to the underwater versions.

As my game is done that's all from me, at least for now. I did however write a few more words of feedback here. Also, if you want me to proofread anything else you write in the future you can just prod me on Discord, I'd be happy to help. Otherwise, I leave you with the last line remaining in my notes, which I never found a home for:

TODO: Minotaurs never use flamers, Mummy Matriarchs never use their ranged attack.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:31:59 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:53 pm »
Thanks a lot. I fixed all these string issues as I saw fit.

I also addressed the other things, except:
"The Reptoid Assassination Squad mission times out very quickly considering you can only do it with rather slow vehicles." - I think it's fine for a Dragonfly. Keeping such vehicles around should yield some bonus.
"It makes no sense to me that laser, mass driver and gauss cannons are bought, not manufactured. I'm hopeful that this is a temporary state of affairs." - No, it's very permanent. It was mainly done for two reasons: 1) giving the UAC more reasons to exist, 2) removing a senseless source of endless cash.
"I had 5 battleships spawn simultaneously on a base assault mission. All 5 of them despawned after the tactical mission though. But it seems like the game got confused with the hunter-killer missions. Save attached for good measure." No idea what's going on, maybe I'll investigate later.
"I think there is value in adding production items for retrofitting Sectopods from Laser to Plasma and back. These HWPs are the only type to use Alien Electronics, which makes them limited." Alien Electronics are more common now, so I haven't touched this.
"Tactical Neural Implants are good for nothing, so they might as well be removed." - I have plans for them.
"Similar to the Flame Spider, I've never seen a Cybermite explode on death. I actually tested it by killing one a bunch of times with save scum on, but failed to trigger an explosion." - You are right. I managed to fix the Cybermite, but the Flame Spider still eludes me.
"I'm unsure why the Tentaculate (I will never not call it that, maturity is overrated) has nonstandard vulnerabilities to laser, plasma and EMP damage, since there are no weapons in those categories that can ever be used against it." - Sorry, but what do these two things have to do with one another?
"The Golden Ankh research topic should probably consume said Ankh." - Why? It's just a metallic object, not complex machinery. Also, why would I force the player to repeat this mission to get another one? And why would I want to piss off the Coven? :)
"The yellow active unit arrow is misaligned on the Seabot." It's not, the Seabot simply floats higher than most such units.
[General TFTD map issues] - This is TFTD, which does not conform to normal laws of physics. I am not even going to pretend to understand them... or why they even work at all (as according to my knowledge they often shouldn't).
"TODO: Minotaurs never use flamers, Mummy Matriarchs never use their ranged attack." I know, I need to study this in depth... :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 12, 2018, 04:53:01 am »
snip
"I'm unsure why the Tentaculate (I will never not call it that, maturity is overrated) has nonstandard vulnerabilities to laser, plasma and EMP damage, since there are no weapons in those categories that can ever be used against it." - Sorry, but what do these two things have to do with one another?
snip

I think hes asking why the abnormal resists considering no such weapons are allowed(at present) to be used on missions featuring them. Why bother having non default resists and making the entry more complex to read, if such a situation can never occur?

Offline Andserk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 12, 2018, 09:41:07 am »
Hello, my game just crashed during the cyberweb sewer mission, here is the screenshot:

I'm also attaching the openxcom.log, my options file and my save.

To recreate the crash you should load the battle autosave, pick Ryan Martin, open the door, sprint across the bridge to the other side of the sewage, open the door in front and enter the room, inside is the offending robot, stare at it.
(The first time I could middle click it with no problem, but crashed as soon I moved next to it)

I'm also going to backup the entire game folder, in case you need me to upload the whole thing.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 12, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
"It makes no sense to me that laser, mass driver and gauss cannons are bought, not manufactured. I'm hopeful that this is a temporary state of affairs." - No, it's very permanent. It was mainly done for two reasons: 1) giving the UAC more reasons to exist, 2) removing a senseless source of endless cash.

Alright, but then you might as well make the Tritanium Cannon buyable too. It just feels very inconsistent that I have to build that thing and its ammo myself while superior products can be painlessly purchased from the market.

"Tactical Neural Implants are good for nothing, so they might as well be removed." - I have plans for them.

Then maybe disable them until those plans are implemented. Having a useless production item exposed to the player is confusing.

Pretty much what legionof1 said. The Ufopedia now provides stats that are irrelevant, so hiding them would be cleaner. It's just a neatness thing.

"The Golden Ankh research topic should probably consume said Ankh." - Why? It's just a metallic object, not complex machinery. Also, why would I force the player to repeat this mission to get another one? And why would I want to piss off the Coven? :)

But you're giving the Ankh back to them, aren't you? You didn't just recover their relic to show it to them and say "hey we found your MacGuffin! It'll look great on our mantelpiece!"
Why would the player want to get another one? It has no dependencies, at least not at present.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the Found Items and Damage Rolls articles' format is not in line with the other Field Manual articles (text + art).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:42:54 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 12, 2018, 05:24:00 pm »
So, at first I'd like to deal with this embarrassment:

Pretty much what legionof1 said. The Ufopedia now provides stats that are irrelevant, so hiding them would be cleaner. It's just a neatness thing.

All right, time for me to ask directly: am I on a hidden camera? Am I being trolled? Is this some sort of a secret test of sanity?

So you expect me to, for every unit, run a comparison with every possible weapon, unit and deployment, either now or in the unforeseeable future, and make an eternal matrix on which unit may theoretically encounter which damage type? Moreover, you expect me to alter unit data to something which is dumb and unrealistic, based on said matrix?

ARE WE STILL IN KANSAS, DOROTHY?

This thread is to provide information on bugs and actual problems. I am doing my best to keep the mod bug-freee and balanced (though admittedly often fail). This kind of dumb shit not only makes my work harder, it also makes me less and less willing to read these reports carefully. Hell, my actual day job feels nice in comparison to dealing with this cancer.

Things happen, sometimes silly ideas somehow catch on, etc. I don't mind. But guys, please... A reality check. I am not going to 1) put in a lot of work and 2) enter something which makes no sense just to remove a few resistance lines someone doesn't like (for reasons I cannot fathom, or at least will not recognize).

I hope I made myself clear. Case closed.

Alright, but then you might as well make the Tritanium Cannon buyable too. It just feels very inconsistent that I have to build that thing and its ammo myself while superior products can be painlessly purchased from the market.

You're right! It was an oversight on my part.
I have removed the manufacturing option, now the tritanium cannon and its ammo will be buyable like other similar items.

Then maybe disable them until those plans are implemented. Having a useless production item exposed to the player is confusing.

Very well.

But you're giving the Ankh back to them, aren't you? You didn't just recover their relic to show it to them and say "hey we found your MacGuffin! It'll look great on our mantelpiece!"
Why would the player want to get another one? It has no dependencies, at least not at present.

You're right, I confused myself. Now the Ankh will be "destroyed" upon research, as Anexi takes it back home.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the Found Items and Damage Rolls articles' format is not in line with the other Field Manual articles (text + art).

Well, sometimes I don't have an appropriate picture, sometimes I lack the space... This is not set in stone, I'm just not paying as much attention to such cosmetic things at this point. Or I pay too much attention and I postpone any changes. Suggestions are always welcome.

Hello, my game just crashed during the cyberweb sewer mission, here is the screenshot:

Indeed it crashes for me too. Which is very weird, since I haven't edited this unit for ages... I will check immediately, but may take a while.
EDIT: Found the problem. Somehow there is no routine declaration under the Robosphere... Weird. sorry about this... Attaching a hotfix.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:30:14 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 12, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
Totally the right call on regarding entries of information scorch, its only a very minor polish detail and such belongs as a post mod completion level of priority. Hell even full AAA titles with hundreds of staff routinely let such things slip, sometimes permanently. Don't sweat the tiny stuff.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:41 pm »
Totally the right call on regarding entries of information scorch, its only a very minor polish detail and such belongs as a post mod completion level of priority. Hell even full AAA titles with hundreds of staff routinely let such things slip, sometimes permanently. Don't sweat the tiny stuff.

To be honest it's not even about this issue being too small, my point is that "fixing" it would in fact be wrong. For example, why would a Tentaculat not be susceptible to plasma? It is delicate and most of it is soft tissue, so in my opinion it should have a worse resistance than a human. (Of course this is disputable, but that's another subject.)

I am in the process of uploading a fixed version of 0.9.6, please check in 10 minutes.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 13, 2018, 03:41:34 am »
- I'm unsure why the Tentaculate (I will never not call it that, maturity is overrated) has nonstandard vulnerabilities to laser, plasma and EMP damage, since there are no weapons in those categories that can ever be used against it.
Was there air in the last 2 stages of vanilla TFTD? I think there were tentaculates in air.

IIRC, there used to be underwater-capable laser weapons in earlier versions of the mod.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 13, 2018, 02:29:33 pm »
I just got the root of all evil mission and it gave me the sring instead something like str_root_of_all_evil I clicked too fast to see it though