Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071713 times)

KZad Bhat

Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1365 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:32 am »
I don't know if that's strange in the usual context of this game, but it sounds like that should actually be expected. It's not like gangs actually get together in out of the way places like abandoned warehouses or deep forests to start their fights, so it seems like occasionally at least you'd run across a fight with civvies in the crossfire, and cops trying to put it down.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1366 on: September 19, 2018, 12:55:26 pm »
Please do show the save, since I did not make this to happen (consciously).

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 19, 2018, 11:07:07 pm »
I don't know if that's strange in the usual context of this game, but it sounds like that should actually be expected. It's not like gangs actually get together in out of the way places like abandoned warehouses or deep forests to start their fights, so it seems like occasionally at least you'd run across a fight with civvies in the crossfire, and cops trying to put it down.
You misunderstand, it was completely full of civies and some police, like a terror mission there were no rival gang members to be seen.
Please do show the save, since I did not make this to happen (consciously).
I think this is it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:53:13 pm by Thunderwing280 »

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1368 on: September 20, 2018, 12:44:12 am »
Okay, nothing but police and civvies is definitely not right, I could tell you that if I'd never played this.

Although, I do wonder now. I'd hit 2 or 3 gang wars that was nothing but two gangs fighting. Is it set up to have it in the middle of civs and cops? Would definitely make things interesting. I already saw in 1 or 2 of those that one of those gangs can be friendly. Or I guess maybe just neutral to X-Com. But definitely not hostile.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 20, 2018, 02:00:28 am »
One of the gangs counts as civilians. They're just armed. I don't think it's possible to have a 3-way fight.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:18 am »
Yeah it was already answered.
There are 3 factions on map:
- enemy
- civilians (so basically ally)
- xcom

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: September 21, 2018, 05:47:31 pm »
Complaining, bitching, moaning.

Griping:
- STR_CROWBAR_UFOPEDIA: "inconspicous in any industrial and research environments" would be better as "inconspicuous in any industrial or research environment".
- STR_IMPERSONATRON_UFOPEDIA: "psi waves emitter" would be better as "psi wave emitter".
- STR_MONSTROUS_BREED_UFOPEDIA: "proofs" should be "proof".
- STR_REPTOID_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "modelled" should be "modeled", but only in en-US.yml.
- STR_CRUISE_LINER_RAID_DESCRIPTION: Consider mentioning explicitly that it will be an underwater mission requiring appropriate gear.
- STR_ANTIMATTER_CONTAINMENT_UFOPEDIA: "the human civilization" would be better as "human civilization".
- STR_SWARMIDS_UFOPEDIA: "leaving pheromones to signal them to the rest of the swarm" would be better as "leaving pheromones as a signal to the rest of the swarm".
- STR_MEGAWORM_UFOPEDIA: I had to shuffle so much stuff here that I'm just going to suggest a complete rewrite: "Megaworms are voracious predators, constantly on the hunt for prey despite the fact that their chlorophyll-filled skin helps with photosynthesis. Though they propel themselves by crawling, their overgrown muscle system permits them to move quite fast. It also gives shape to their boneless bodies. This thick layer of muscles enables Megaworms to endure a lot of punishment before dying and makes them resistant to stun damage. Fire damage seems to be effective instead, but they can still take lots of it before succumbing."
- STR_SECTOPOD_CONSTRUCTION_UFOPEDIA: "these types of bipedal HWP" would be better as "this type of bipedal HWP". Assuming the previous edit is made, "As they require" should be "As it requires".
- STR_SECTOPOD_LASER_UFOPEDIA: "AI powered" would be better as "AI controlled". "circuitry vulnerability" should be "circuitry's vulnerability". Suggest rephrasing "our Unit" as "this unit".
- STR_REPTOID_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "quite a while, long before" as "quite a while. They were here long before".
- STR_CYBERWEB_FORTRESS_ASSAULT_DESCRIPTION: Suggest rephrasing "If captured, this Cyberweb fort may reveal their deepest secrets" as "If captured, this fort may reveal the Cyberweb's deepest secrets". "all personnel wears" would be better as "all personnel wear" (because although "personnel" refers to a body of people, it is usually treated as plural).
- STR_DIMENSION_X_BASE_DEFENSE_FAUNA_BRIEFING: By the same token, "The entire scientific personnel" would be better as "The entire scientific staff", which is typically treated as singular.
- STR_CROC_RAID_UFOPEDIA: "and surface environment" should be "and the surface environment". Suggest rephrasing "For example, if Reptoids succeed" as "This could be needed, for example, if the Reptoids were to succeed".
- STR_LASER_SNIPER_RIFLE_UFOPEDIA: "This version of a Sniper Rifle" would be better as "This version of the Blaster Rifle".
- STR_CYBERWEB_CENTURION_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "much more complex than simpler Cyberweb machines" smacks a bit of tautology. Suggest "much more complex than other Cyberweb machines we've encountered".
- STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_ENCRYPTED_UFOPEDIA: "head of Syndicate" would be better as "head of the Syndicate".
- STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "along all other subhumans" to "along with all other vermin" or some such, because between "superhumanity" and "subhumans" I'm left wondering where "humans" fit in this philosophy.
- STR_MASS_DRIVER_CANNON_UFOPEDIA: "MASS_DRIVER CANNON" should be "MASS DRIVER CANNON".
- STR_GAUSS_CANNON_UFOPEDIA: "WITH HYPERSONIC SPEEDS" would be better as "AT HYPERSONIC SPEEDS".
- STR_BOOMEROID_UFOPEDIA: "the aliens' idea of proximity grenades" would be better as "the aliens' idea of a tactical grenade" (since it's not a proximity grenade in any way).
- STR_GAUSS_PISTOL_UFOPEDIA: "including vehicles" would be better as "including that of vehicles".

Whining:
- The X-Com Hybrids article claims hybrids have "superior mental abilities" compared to human soldiers, but they actually have a lower psi strength cap, so I consider this to be untrue.
- The Hybrid armors' built-in unarmed attacks are broken.
- The Gauss Cannon 'pedia entry is unlocked from the Mass Driver Cannon research. Not the actual item though.
- The Gauss soldier weaponry can be researched prior to the corresponding Mass Driver weapons, BUT the 'pedia entries are not unlocked until the latter is researched. That's confusing.
- It's possible to bring 2x2 HWPs to the Reptoid Fringe Settlement mission, but they will not be able to leave the ship. Maybe STR_REPTOID_CAVE_SETTLEMENT_DESCRIPTION should warn against this.
- I received 3078 Terramite from that Reptoid Fringe Settlement mission. That seems... not right. Even allowing that it isn't a useful resource (yet?) it earns a point per, and sells for over 8M. That seems excessive for one mission.
- When aborting the Syndicate HQ mission, the item stash is lost. Possibly true for the Black Lotus HQ one as well, I don't know.
- The Multi-Phased Psi-amp is two handed, but wielding it with the other hand occupied does not actually affect the chance of a successful psi attack. It might as well just be one handed.
- It occurs to me that it's quite remarkable that the Multi-Phased Psi-amp is concealable. It's HUGE.
- The Cyberweb Cyborg article refers to a "Technomad autopsy report", but that's confusing because there is no traditional autopsy report for the Technomad as such. The autopsy article is called "Cyberweb Augmentations" and is not laid out as an autopsy.
- As of 0.9.5 the Stun Rod description claims it's more powerful than the Electric Prod, but it isn't. It's faster, but not stronger. Possibly the Electric Prod was meant to have lower damage?
- The Blaster Rifle description claims it's more accurate than the basic Laser Rifle, which it isn't.
- The Scatter Blaster description still claims it fires "long volleys", which was true in FMP, but in XCF it really isn't. 5 shots isn't a lot compared to the other miniguns, and it's only 1 shot more than the Carbine. Also the text probably should mention that it strips armor, like the other miniguns.
- The CCTV cameras in the corridors are a nice idea, but in practice the cameras get shot down pretty much immediately, which causes a huge morale hit on the troops and can cause low-bravery soldiers to panic. This makes me disinclined to use corridors at all. The cameras need a flag that stops them from counting toward morale or something. (Note that this scenario assumes the corridors are placed near the access lift and hangars, which is the only meaningful place to put them in my opinion.)
- It's a little inconvenient that you can't RMB-assign armors between human and hybrid agents, despite the fact that they use the same armors. I mean, this likely isn't something you as a modder can do anything about, but I'm throwing it out there.
- Minigun tank autoshots only fire one shot when the tank is on a slope. Again, not your jurisdiction but it's still a thing that happens.
- STR_SECTOPOD_LASER_UFOPEDIA claims the walker is not as vulnerable to laser weapons as the Sectopod, but since it takes 150% laser damage anyway that is a bit of a fib.
- The Seabot looks like a Hybrid in a Suit in the craft equip screen.
- The Psi-amp handob appears to be misaligned.
- The UAC Rifle floorob seems fubar.
- There's a house on the fencemageddon map that has a fence where it should have a wall.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 21, 2018, 08:50:07 pm »
Complaining, bitching, moaning.

But at a professional level! :)

All strings fixed, except:

- STR_CRUISE_LINER_RAID_DESCRIPTION: Consider mentioning explicitly that it will be an underwater mission requiring appropriate gear.

Um, but it's not an underwater mission. Maybe you meant some other deployment?

- STR_SYNDICATE_TESTAMENT_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "along all other subhumans" to "along with all other vermin" or some such, because between "superhumanity" and "subhumans" I'm left wondering where "humans" fit in this philosophy.

Good question, but it is not the place to delve into such philosophical distinctions. It will stay as it is for several reasons, mostly to hint at the lol Moon Nazi thing.

- STR_BOOMEROID_UFOPEDIA: "the aliens' idea of proximity grenades" would be better as "the aliens' idea of a tactical grenade" (since it's not a proximity grenade in any way).

Indeed it is not, but it is thought to fulfill the same tactical role.

- The X-Com Hybrids article claims hybrids have "superior mental abilities" compared to human soldiers, but they actually have a lower psi strength cap, so I consider this to be untrue.

Mental abilities are not the same thing as psi. :P
Honestly though, this is in a state of flux, I'm waiting for new code to better shape soldier advancement. But please note that despite slightly ower caps, hybrids have much better minima.

- The Hybrid armors' built-in unarmed attacks are broken.

Not broken, only unavailable to untrained hybrids. It's a program limitation; otherwise I would have to give all hybrids access to psi attacks without training.

- It's possible to bring 2x2 HWPs to the Reptoid Fringe Settlement mission, but they will not be able to leave the ship. Maybe STR_REPTOID_CAVE_SETTLEMENT_DESCRIPTION should warn against this.

Hmmm... Not much I can dfo about it. Banning tanks wouldn't be reasonable. You can also dig through the rock.

- I received 3078 Terramite from that Reptoid Fringe Settlement mission. That seems... not right. Even allowing that it isn't a useful resource (yet?) it earns a point per, and sells for over 8M. That seems excessive for one mission.

Yes, I know the problem, but it can't be easily solved due4 to hardcoded stuff. I will talk to the devs.

- When aborting the Syndicate HQ mission, the item stash is lost. Possibly true for the Black Lotus HQ one as well, I don't know.

I can't replicate it, but I do believe you... Will keep an eye on this one.

- The CCTV cameras in the corridors are a nice idea, but in practice the cameras get shot down pretty much immediately, which causes a huge morale hit on the troops and can cause low-bravery soldiers to panic. This makes me disinclined to use corridors at all. The cameras need a flag that stops them from counting toward morale or something. (Note that this scenario assumes the corridors are placed near the access lift and hangars, which is the only meaningful place to put them in my opinion.)

Not sure if it can be done, but it's a very astute observation.

- The Seabot looks like a Hybrid in a Suit in the craft equip screen.

Wha...?
can you please provide more info? I haven't noticed anything wrong. Perhaps it's some combination of deployment and units..

- The Psi-amp handob appears to be misaligned.

Which one? The standard?

- There's a house on the fencemageddon map that has a fence where it should have a wall.

Not a bug. It's a poor neighbourhood...

I think everything else is fixed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:50 am »
My game was going well, and I was into alien invasion and Syndicate times, but I decided to restart a new game because I felt I could do a lot better with base management (which was getting way out of control). Anyway, I'm now playing version 0.9.5, and right at the beginning something is wrong with Uzi weapons. After finding an Uzi, I immediately get both Uzi and Uzi Acquisition as research topics. Researching only Uzi gives me the ability to buy the guns, but not the ammo. I then researched Uzi acquisition, and was able to buy the ammo as well. Something in there seems like a bug (shouldn't be able to buy anything at all before researching Acquisition).

Thanks for the tip before on revising the "Captain" title. You're probably already happy with the rank names, but if anybody is interested in something a bit more "X-Files-ish" this is what I changed them to:

(old = new)
Rookie = Agent
Agent = Special Agent
Senior Agent = ASAC (Assistant Special Agent in Charge)
Captain = SAC (Special Agent in Charge)
Commissar = AD (Assistant Director)
Chief Agent = Director

Also (probably goes in regular discussion instead of bug report), is there a way to manipulate the promotion system? In this new game, I had one agent who was working very hard, he racked up lots of missions and over twenty kills (mostly zombies). But when I recruited more agents and promotions were handed out, some nobody who'd only been on 1 mission with 0 kills got promoted to XCOM director instead hard working hero-guy. Both were the same rank at the time of the latest promotion. That just seems wrong. Sure, I can just fire the guy I didn't want as director and Super-agent will probably get promoted, but was there some other way to avoid this outcome?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 22, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »
My game was going well, and I was into alien invasion and Syndicate times, but I decided to restart a new game because I felt I could do a lot better with base management (which was getting way out of control). Anyway, I'm now playing version 0.9.5, and right at the beginning something is wrong with Uzi weapons. After finding an Uzi, I immediately get both Uzi and Uzi Acquisition as research topics. Researching only Uzi gives me the ability to buy the guns, but not the ammo. I then researched Uzi acquisition, and was able to buy the ammo as well. Something in there seems like a bug (shouldn't be able to buy anything at all before researching Acquisition).

Ha, indeed! Thanks for the report. Can't believe how such a starting game bug hasn't been noticed for so long; now fixed.

Thanks for the tip before on revising the "Captain" title. You're probably already happy with the rank names, but if anybody is interested in something a bit more "X-Files-ish" this is what I changed them to:

(old = new)
Rookie = Agent
Agent = Special Agent
Senior Agent = ASAC (Assistant Special Agent in Charge)
Captain = SAC (Special Agent in Charge)
Commissar = AD (Assistant Director)
Chief Agent = Director

I understand the idea, but these names are a bit unwieldy and not always true. You shouldn't stop being an agent agent after grazing a cultist with a bullet, the Chief Agent is not a director (you are), Assistant Special Agent in Charge sounds a bit weird if there is no Captain to assist yet... Still, this is a step in some direction I am open to suggestions.

Also (probably goes in regular discussion instead of bug report), is there a way to manipulate the promotion system? In this new game, I had one agent who was working very hard, he racked up lots of missions and over twenty kills (mostly zombies). But when I recruited more agents and promotions were handed out, some nobody who'd only been on 1 mission with 0 kills got promoted to XCOM director instead hard working hero-guy. Both were the same rank at the time of the latest promotion. That just seems wrong. Sure, I can just fire the guy I didn't want as director and Super-agent will probably get promoted, but was there some other way to avoid this outcome?

The only way to somewhat control this is by the option to award promotions only after a battle, to one of the participants.
I don't know exactly what counts for determining the promotion, but stats certainly play a role. Or maybe your nobody gave their boss a lift to the mall. :)
If you don't like your lead agent, there are always unfortunate accidents. 8)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: September 22, 2018, 04:36:07 pm »
Um, but it's not an underwater mission. Maybe you meant some other deployment?

Huh, no, this was the description given to me for the lone Lobsterman mission. Maybe that mission uses the wrong descriptor. In that case my comment is, of course, off the mark.

Not broken, only unavailable to untrained hybrids. It's a program limitation; otherwise I would have to give all hybrids access to psi attacks without training.

A little confused here. All my Hybrids get a psi attack from the get go. It has a 0% chance of working though, but you can still get psi experience with it.

Hmmm... Not much I can dfo about it. Banning tanks wouldn't be reasonable. You can also dig through the rock.

Well you start in a UFO type ship that's impervious to the HWP laser. Maybe plasma tanks could break out, but I didn't have any at the time.

I can't replicate it, but I do believe you... Will keep an eye on this one.

Yeah, I only tried it the one time. Perhaps my stash was on a problem tile that particular time? That mapset does have some problems as you'll recall. Like, a soldier standing in a corner in the start area can't see an alien standing on an adjacent tile.

Anyway I did beat that mission. Turn 1 is super mean but if you can survive that the rest is fairly straightforward.

Wha...?
can you please provide more info? I haven't noticed anything wrong. Perhaps it's some combination of deployment and units..

See image below. If you'd like the save for this, let me know.

Which one? The standard?

Aye, I haven't noticed it with the big one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:37:50 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:36 pm »
Huh, no, this was the description given to me for the lone Lobsterman mission. Maybe that mission uses the wrong descriptor. In that case my comment is, of course, off the mark.

Ah, okay - I have misunderstood before. Now fixed.

A little confused here. All my Hybrids get a psi attack from the get go. It has a 0% chance of working though, but you can still get psi experience with it.

...apparently we aren't there yet with the feature. But it is mostly unnoticeable.

Well you start in a UFO type ship that's impervious to the HWP laser. Maybe plasma tanks could break out, but I didn't have any at the time.

Jesus Christ, I forgot the Viper only has a single door. Yeah...
I think I fixed it now.

See image below. If you'd like the save for this, let me know.

aaah, I had no idea you meant the icons. I'll check.

Aye, I haven't noticed it with the big one.

I'll check too...

Thank you!

EDIT: Okay, looks like I enabled the Seabot chassis on all missions. :) It's supposed to be undersea-only, so you don't need the icon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:55:59 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »
the Chief Agent is not a director (you are)

As player, one's meta-role doesn't really have an in-game avatar. I've more been imagining myself (as player) as some guy running the whole operation out of a dusty corner cubicle in the basement of the United Nations, with some obscure job like "Assistant Deputy Undersecretary for Public Health Affairs."

Or maybe your nobody gave their boss a lift to the mall. :)

I have a fun idea about this, I'm going to leave him in charge and never send him on any more missions so he can't get hurt. I'm thinking our outfit got a mysterious memo from on high ordering us to put this nobody in charge. I think I'm even going to change his name to Jeffrey Spender to increase the paranoia level.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 22, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
As player, one's meta-role doesn't really have an in-game avatar. I've more been imagining myself (as player) as some guy running the whole operation out of a dusty corner cubicle in the basement of the United Nations, with some obscure job like "Assistant Deputy Undersecretary for Public Health Affairs."

True, I spoke out of place. And I was wrong.

I have a fun idea about this, I'm going to leave him in charge and never send him on any more missions so he can't get hurt. I'm thinking our outfit got a mysterious memo from on high ordering us to put this nobody in charge. I think I'm even going to change his name to Jeffrey Spender to increase the paranoia level.

Hmm, the link doesn't work... Mysterious! :)

Offline DaveQB

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 23, 2018, 10:25:06 am »
Has anyone managed to run the mod on OXCE 5.0 on Android? Before activating X-Com Files I reset all advanced options to default and deactivated any other mods to avoid conflicts, but the app crashes anyway. May be a case of just waiting for the next mod update to be brought in line with the latest OXCE.