Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1099010 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1350 on: September 15, 2018, 08:58:08 pm »
Conan! What is best in life?

To find writing issues, see them driven before you:
- STR_MASTERS_OF_SHOGG_UFOPEDIA: "workforce" would be better as "labor".
- STR_OPTRONICS_UFOPEDIA: "using light" should be "that use". "and therefore" should be "and are therefore".
- STR_CYBERWEB_PORTAL_SYSTEM_UFOPEDIA: "to maintain reasonable frequency" should be "to maintain a reasonable frequency".
- STR_MUTANT_BLOOD_PLASMA_SYNTHESIS_UFOPEDIA: "With the recent medical discoveries" would be better as "Thanks to our recent medical discoveries".
- STR_PSIONIC_LABORATORY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest replacing "assess the psionic potential of all soldiers at the base and give them" with "give all soldiers at the base", as psionic strength is revealed automatically anyway.
- STR_HOVERTANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER_UFOPEDIA and STR_HOVERTANK_LASER_CANNON_UFOPEDIA: ", this unit features" would be nicer as ". Hovertanks feature".
- STR_LIZARD_TRAP_UFOPEDIA: "as soon as a Reptoid appears" should be "as soon as a Reptoid appeared". "their leaders" would be better as "his leaders". "gives word" should be either "gives the word" or "sends word".
- STR_GRAV_MODULE_CONSTRUCTION_UFOPEDIA: "bettlefield" should be "battlefield".
- STR_UFO_PROPULSION_UFOPEDIA: "serve purpose" should be "serve a purpose". Suggest slight un-mangling of "they conduct and resonate to electromagnetic and gravity waves, fed into them directly through a Power Source's base, resting on Tritanium floor" to "they conduct and resonate with electromagnetic and gravitic waves that are fed into them directly through a Power Source's base, which rests on a Tritanium floor". "state of gravitic-magnetic field" should be "state of the gravitic-magnetic field". Suggest rephrasing "This also explains how UFOs go down when their power sources begin to fail through the feedback effect, even though our weaponry hasn't managed to seriously dent the hull" as "This also explains why UFOs go down even when our weaponry hasn't managed to seriously dent the hull. The feedback effect causes their power sources to fail".
- STR_JARHEAD_UFOPEDIA: "possesses" should be "possess".
- STR_JARHEAD_INVESTIGATION_UFOPEDIA: "After careful examination", though okay as is, would be nicer as "After a careful examination".
- STR_UNIT_UFOPEDIA: "alerting the government of" should be "alerting the government to".
- STR_MEGAWORM_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "The skin is not armored but is thick, and it contains" flows better as "The skin is unarmored but thick, and contains". "body length" would be better as just "body". The semicolon would be better as a comma. "inflammation signs" would be better as "signs of inflammation". "They also have" would be better as "These teeth have".
- STR_XCOM_BUREAU_UFOPEDIA: "described as energy being" should be something like "described as a being made out of pure energy".
- STR_JANISSARY_UFOPEDIA: "controlled directly with" would be nicer as "controlled directly through".
- STR_CITY_X_SURVEY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "during approach to" as "as they approached".
- STR_SYNDICATE_PHASE_2_DESCRIPTION: "No other rules apply - do as you wish!" is perfectly fine, but the dash is lost in the actual in-game description due to wonky wrapping, which makes it look weird. As a workaround, it may be worth rephrasing as "No other rules apply, so do as you wish!".
- STR_SYNDICATE_CEO_TRUEFORM_UFOPEDIA: "transform to" would be better as "change into".
- STR_HYBRID_CONTROL_CIRCUITRY_UFOPEDIA: "a built-in 'software'" would be better as "built-in 'software'". "showing that" would be better as "that indicate".
- STR_SYNDICATE_HQ_UFOPEDIA: "arrest whoever is responsible" should be "arrest whomever is responsible". "fearing the leaders will escape - which I totally agree with" lost its dash to wrapping (mostly), but even disregarding that I suggest rephrasing it as "out of concern the leaders will escape - something I totally agree with".
- STR_DIMENSION_X_WRECK_BRIEFING and STR_DIMENSION_X_WRECK_DESCRIPTION: "Dimesion" should be "Dimension".
- STR_ANCIENT_SHIP_COMPUTER_UFOPEDIA: "coming from Mars" is a little ambiguous. Did the ship come from mars, or the power source? If the former, maybe use "The wreck used to be a construction ship from Mars". If the latter, maybe use "a unique power source that came from Mars".
- STR_SCORPOID_PALACE_TAKEOVER_BRIEFING: "over a position of leadership over a local seat of power" looks like an edit gone wrong. Pick one.
- STR_HYBRID_PURGE_DESCRIPTION and STR_HYBRID_PURGE_BRIEFING: "Our objective it" should be "Our objective is".

To hear the lamentations of the mod author:
- The HOVER/ROCKET Ufopedia articles require STR_UFO_CONSTRUCTION, this should be STR_HOVERTANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER instead.
- The hovertanks don't require grav modules to build or repair, only Elerium. The description does mention an "anti-gravity unit", and given that the gunship does need grav units I feel hovertanks should use them too.
- The regular Psiclone's manufacturing project is unlocked at Metapsychology, but the project itself requires a Psi Lab, which comes along way down the line. Perhaps the project should be unlocked at Psionics.
- When the rocky floor on the cave map set is explodified it becomes impassable. I'm not sure if this is desirable.
- The Skulljack and X-Com Psiclone are in Artifacts, but maybe they would be more at home in Field Equipment because, firstly, they aren't items that can be found as loot, and secondly they would fit best next to the Psi-Amp for easy comparison.
- The Firestorm description still claims it "replicates the flying saucer design" as per the vanilla text, but the new art now belies this.
- In the understanding that the Shogg arc is WIP, I want to mention I was surprised at the Scorpoid Palace Takeover mission, because I had assumed it was going to be an Antmen-based mission. Prior to this mission Antmen are the only inhabitants of Shogg that are exposed to the player, while the Scorpoids are never really introduced except in STR_LIZARD_TRAP_UFOPEDIA, which mentions them in a dismissive manner. The mission itself is fine but it could use a better lead-in.
- Is there a point to the Scorpoid having 12 NV when it also has 13 Psi Sense?
- I'd like to have some detailed info on the X-Com Hybrid. Maybe you could add a SUIT/HYBRID armor entry just to provide access to Stats for Nerds for the baseline Hybrid? It could mention that all X-Com armors apply to the Hybrid soldier as normal.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1351 on: September 16, 2018, 12:46:47 am »
Conan! What is best in life?

:D

OK, everything fixed. Some things I did a bit differently, maybe they'll get proof-read later.

- The HOVER/ROCKET Ufopedia articles require STR_UFO_CONSTRUCTION, this should be STR_HOVERTANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER instead.

Yep, fixed this one and also the plasma tanks.

- The hovertanks don't require grav modules to build or repair, only Elerium. The description does mention an "anti-gravity unit", and given that the gunship does need grav units I feel hovertanks should use them too.

Now every hover also requires 6 grav modules.

- The regular Psiclone's manufacturing project is unlocked at Metapsychology, but the project itself requires a Psi Lab, which comes along way down the line. Perhaps the project should be unlocked at Psionics.

It's logical as it this, so I'll leave it.

- When the rocky floor on the cave map set is explodified it becomes impassable. I'm not sure if this is desirable.

Definitely undesirable... And also weird, it used to work. I'll investigate when the time is right.

- The Skulljack and X-Com Psiclone are in Artifacts, but maybe they would be more at home in Field Equipment because, firstly, they aren't items that can be found as loot, and secondly they would fit best next to the Psi-Amp for easy comparison.

I'm losing faith in having two separate categories... Maybe I'll just roll them into one.

- The Firestorm description still claims it "replicates the flying saucer design" as per the vanilla text, but the new art now belies this.

You know, maybe I'll go back to the original picture. It's cooler.

- In the understanding that the Shogg arc is WIP, I want to mention I was surprised at the Scorpoid Palace Takeover mission, because I had assumed it was going to be an Antmen-based mission. Prior to this mission Antmen are the only inhabitants of Shogg that are exposed to the player, while the Scorpoids are never really introduced except in STR_LIZARD_TRAP_UFOPEDIA, which mentions them in a dismissive manner. The mission itself is fine but it could use a better lead-in.

It's RNG. Scorpoids are almost as common as antmen and spiders.
I'd be happy to make more Shogg missions, though. (Probably in caves, lol.)

- Is there a point to the Scorpoid having 12 NV when it also has 13 Psi Sense?

Probably not? But it doesn't hurt. Maybe in the future there will be some method to hide from psi vision?

- I'd like to have some detailed info on the X-Com Hybrid. Maybe you could add a SUIT/HYBRID armor entry just to provide access to Stats for Nerds for the baseline Hybrid? It could mention that all X-Com armors apply to the Hybrid soldier as normal.

Maybe... Looks like I have enough space.

Again, thank you for your time and effort!

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 16, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »
It's RNG. Scorpoids are almost as common as antmen and spiders.

I don't seem to be having much luck with the RNG in that area. All my UFOs have Sectoids in them, too. I know there's a lot of exciting aliens out there because I've played FMP, but 1999 has been nothing but Sectoids.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:37 pm »
When I try to play on the Pharaohs tomb with battle it crashes

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 17, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
Whoa, a new version already! Sadly, the new seabot makes tanks useless underwater. Can't we have one that carries a dart launcher or something?

Also, as for the corridors with turrets, what about checking out the WH40k mod? That one already includes corridors with turrets, perhaps you can learn something. As for bugs: The "Fun with Terms" staff input cannot be seen in the ufopaedia, the Worker outfit has no entry (or I haven't seen it yet) and there are weird entries with melee attacks of enemies, your units, hybrids and so on with no text and/or weird spacing.

Lastly, not a bug but: What's the purpose of the Dog Bark? Will we be eventually able to use our own Bloodhounds like Piratez?

Oh, and the Tactical Neural Implant still doesn't do anything so far.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 17, 2018, 11:00:02 pm »
When I try to play on the Pharaohs tomb with battle it crashes

Oh damn.
Do you have a save? The battle seems to work for me.

Whoa, a new version already! Sadly, the new seabot makes tanks useless underwater. Can't we have one that carries a dart launcher or something?

There will be good underwater tanks in the (near) future. I just haven't made them yet.

Also, as for the corridors with turrets, what about checking out the WH40k mod? That one already includes corridors with turrets, perhaps you can learn something. As for bugs: The "Fun with Terms" staff input cannot be seen in the ufopaedia, the Worker outfit has no entry (or I haven't seen it yet) and there are weird entries with melee attacks of enemies, your units, hybrids and so on with no text and/or weird spacing.

Where do you think did I get the graphics from? :-*

Lastly, not a bug but: What's the purpose of the Dog Bark?

...you've seen the Pedia page, haven't you?

Will we be eventually able to use our own Bloodhounds like Piratez?

Probably. :)

Oh, and the Tactical Neural Implant still doesn't do anything so far.

Eh? Is it some bug you mean?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:04 pm »
There will be good underwater tanks in the (near) future. I just haven't made them yet.

Is this related to the new article about the "Barracuda" submarine, I suppose?

...you've seen the Pedia page, haven't you?

Now I can't find it for some reason, but I remember it was somewhere. The Field Manual's first entries are messed up a bit with the several entries about unarmed attacks.

Eh? Is it some bug you mean?

Not sure. I mean that you can build them, but so far nothing uses these Implants yet.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:01 pm »
Oh damn.
Do you have a save? The battle seems to work for me

Sorry I mean when you choose the map with the new battle option

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 18, 2018, 01:04:11 am »
Sorry I mean when you choose the map with the new battle option

You probably chose the wrong alien race for the mission; new battle is not really supported from a modding standpoint unless you know what you're doing.  There's nothing that can be fixed here on the modding side except saying to not use new battle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:37 am »
Yeah, that's the most likely explanation.
The problem is that if you use an incorrect race, its composition might not fit the deployment. I'm trying to keep things consistent here, so it wouldn't happen, but problems may still arise.
Which race have you tried to use on that mission? I'd like to investigate.

Is this related to the new article about the "Barracuda" submarine, I suppose?

I have no idea what you're talking about. :D
But no, I haven't referred to these new tanks anywhere yet.

Not sure. I mean that you can build them, but so far nothing uses these Implants yet.

Everything that depends on the TNI uses it... Namely the Skulljack and the Cyber Armour, and anything that comes with them.
If you mean that it's not an item which is physically present in the game and can be used as an ingredient, then yeah... But is it really necessary?

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:56 am »
Actually you can build TNI in workshop but it is not used for anything so I think that is what HumanTraitor is referencing to.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 18, 2018, 10:54:45 am »
Actually you can build TNI in workshop but it is not used for anything so I think that is what HumanTraitor is referencing to.

Oops, that's a leftover from a scrapped feature. Sorry, I had no idea.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 18, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »
Yeah, that's the most likely explanation.
The problem is that if you use an incorrect race, its composition might not fit the deployment. I'm trying to keep things consistent here, so it wouldn't happen, but problems may still arise.
Which race have you tried to use on that mission? I'd like to investigate.
It was MIB

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 18, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 18, 2018, 08:22:18 pm »
Strange, I just got a gang war mission but there are police and civillians?
I have the save if you want to have a look.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:57:17 pm by Thunderwing280 »