aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071588 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1305 on: August 18, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »
You appear to have some older version, before the fixes. The one currently linked has it fixed already.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate any errors. Moreover, your screen shows that the ground under the boulder is incorrect, while I fixed it long ago. Could you possibly provide a save?

Hmm okay, I grabbed the update files from Discord, but it sounds like I might have screwed it up. I'll try re-installing everything. If my problems persist I'll get back to you.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 18, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »

False. This mission is in no way related to sharing the tritanium ammo tech.

Hmm, apparently not. Both times I played (I lost my first save file to disk failiure), I got MAGMA missions only after sharing ammo, but the only missions dependant on that are the slander missions. Sorry for the mistake.

Obsoleted by Armored Vest? Sorry man, but the Jumpsuit is definitely more advanced and in many circumstances more valuable than that blasted armor. Depends on the enemy and the circumstances. And I know players who only use the jumpsuits and not the vests.

True, Jumpsuits are better against Melee based monsters (Especially if they hit from the side). But against humans with guns they only give camouflage and the stat boosts, while Armored Vest is better at reducing damage.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 18, 2018, 02:05:29 pm »
True, Jumpsuits are better against Melee based monsters (Especially if they hit from the side). But against humans with guns they only give camouflage and the stat boosts, while Armored Vest is better at reducing damage.

Don't discount the increased stamina regen and higher dodge either. If you're looking to run around and hit people in the face, jumpsuits are much more practical than armor vests.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 19, 2018, 01:52:34 am »
At this point it's probably save corruption. This autopsy has been marked as available for research and it stayed like this; or at least that's what I think.
This happens every time I start a new game. I deleted ~/.config/openxcom and ~/.local/share/openxcom and unpacked the original UFO and the mod anew. Still the same.

Not much of a problem. Just odd.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1309 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:47 pm »
This happens every time I start a new game. I deleted ~/.config/openxcom and ~/.local/share/openxcom and unpacked the original UFO and the mod anew. Still the same.

Not much of a problem. Just odd.

OK, that's seriously weird.
Maybe I need to update the download... But I think I'll just leave it as is until the next version. I have already changed too much on my end to properly qualify as another 0.9.4.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 20, 2018, 05:20:55 am »
Concerning STR_FLOATER_LEGIONNAIRE_AUTOPSY, in your fix you changed this:
  - name: STR_FLOATER_LEGIONNAIRE_AUTOPSY
  - name: STR_FLOATER_AUTOPSY
    unlocks:
      - STR_ALIEN_BIOLOGY
      - STR_DART_RIFLE_CLIP_B_PREQ1
      - STR_STRANGE_CREATURE_AUTOPSY
      - STR_COOL_ALIEN_GADGET

To this:
    cost: 0
    needItem: true
    unlocks:
      - STR_ALIEN_BIOLOGY
      - STR_COOL_ALIEN_GADGET

I modified it to this to fix the problem:
    cost: 0
    needItem: true
    unlocks:
      - STR_ALIEN_BIOLOGY
      - STR_COOL_ALIEN_GADGET

I have a question: I just completed a STR_CROP_CIRCLES_ZOMBIE mission, killed both farmers and three zombies and I got negative points for the zombie corpses, is that intended? See attached images.

A second question: I've completed a few STR_MONSTER_HUNT missions with STR_GIANT_SPIDER. I kill all the spiders except one that I inflict a fatal wound on to capture. But they just end up dying, I guess I'm just unlucky?

Finally, is the auto shot range on the double-barreled shotgun meant to be greater than the snap and aimed ranges?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:41:58 am by karnaugh_map »

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 20, 2018, 11:57:38 am »
A second question: I've completed a few STR_MONSTER_HUNT missions with STR_GIANT_SPIDER. I kill all the spiders except one that I inflict a fatal wound on to capture. But they just end up dying, I guess I'm just unlucky?

As far as I know bleeding enemies take one last bleed hit once the mission ends, so that can cause them to die. The only way around it that I know is to disable automatic mission ending and getting to the bleeding enemy with a medikit before the end of the last turn.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:43 pm »
I have a question: I just completed a STR_CROP_CIRCLES_ZOMBIE mission, killed both farmers and three zombies and I got negative points for the zombie corpses, is that intended? See attached images.
I think, negative points are for killed farmers. I killed 1 farmer out of 2, got negative points, replayed the last turn keeping both alive, got no negative points. The number of dead and unconscious zombies stayed the same.

I'll try your fix for the legionnaire later.

UPDATE: Worked, thanks. The item no longer appears from the start. But "unlocks" sections probably should be present in both.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:38:59 pm by tkzv »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 20, 2018, 06:54:40 pm »
Yes, killing Farmers and Concerned citizen makes you lose points even when they are hostile. They are still just civilians.

I recently finished a Cattle Mutilation mission by stunning one and mind-controlling the other farmer.
It was done from a base without prisons, but even though I sold them both, the Prison space exceeded screen appeared.

Spoiler images:

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 20, 2018, 07:15:16 pm »
Concerning STR_FLOATER_LEGIONNAIRE_AUTOPSY, in your fix you changed this:
(...)

You are absolutely 100% correct.
I... I blame Notepad++.

I'm skipping your other two questions, as they were already answered correctly.

But "unlocks" sections probably should be present in both.

Good point! However, in this case it's not necessary, since researching a Legionnaire corpse requires having researched a standard Floater corpse first, so you've already unlocked these things.

It was done from a base without prisons, but even though I sold them both, the Prison space exceeded screen appeared.

If your prison space was 0, then it was exceeded.
You probably have prison space in another base, which is why you haven't gotten the usual "alien dies" message.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:38:53 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:44 pm »
The point is that the screen was empty, because the farmers were already sold. If the screen appears after it gives the option to sell spoils and prisoners, it should check whether there are some prisoners left to fail to imprison. But I now realised that this is probably an OXCE+ thing and not a mod thing.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 20, 2018, 08:07:49 pm »
The point is that the screen was empty, because the farmers were already sold. If the screen appears after it gives the option to sell spoils and prisoners, it should check whether there are some prisoners left to fail to imprison. But I now realised that this is probably an OXCE+ thing and not a mod thing.

It's overcomplicated already... if I poke there once more, it will explode.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 21, 2018, 03:57:11 am »
I think, negative points are for killed farmers. I killed 1 farmer out of 2, got negative points, replayed the last turn keeping both alive, got no negative points. The number of dead and unconscious zombies stayed the same.

I'll try your fix for the legionnaire later.

UPDATE: Worked, thanks. The item no longer appears from the start. But "unlocks" sections probably should be present in both.

Have a second look at the screenshots I attached, I'm getting negative point for killing zombies.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 21, 2018, 10:51:07 am »
Have a second look at the screenshots I attached, I'm getting negative point for killing zombies.

Sorry, I don't get your point.
How do you know the negative points were awarded for zombies and not farmers?

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 21, 2018, 11:40:12 am »

After having another look at the screenshot.

But the negative points are for corpses recovered, not hostiles killed.
I looked into the items file:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE_CORPSE
    categories: [STR_CORPSES]
    size: 0.3
    costSell: 6000
    weight: 30
    bigSprite: 301
    floorSprite: 252
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    recoveryPoints: 5
    battleType: 11
    armor: 20
    listOrder: 62300

- type: STR_HUMAN_FARMER_CORPSE
    categories: [STR_CORPSES]
    costSell: -10000
    size: 0.4
    weight: 40
    bigSprite: 451
    floorSprite: 373
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    costThrow:
      energy: 20
    battleType: 11
    armor: 30
    recover: true
    recoveryPoints: -90
    listOrder: 72100

You gained 15 points for recovering 3 Zombie corpses and -180 points for recovering 2 Farmer corpses. -165 points for corpses.

For killing hostiles you gained 72 points. Looking into the units file:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE_TERRORIST
    race: STR_ZOMBIE
    stats:
      tu: 40
      stamina: 110
      health: 124
      bravery: 110
      reactions: 40
      firing: 0
      throwing: 0
      strength: 84
      psiStrength: 80
      psiSkill: 0
      melee: 80
    armor: STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE_ARMOR
    standHeight: 22
    kneelHeight: 22
    value: 4
    intelligence: 3
    aggression: 6
    isLeeroyJenkins: true
    livingWeapon: true
    aggroSound: 122
    deathSound: 121
    builtInWeapons:
      - STR_ZOMBIE_WEAPON

- type: STR_BRAINWASHED_HUMAN_FARMER
    race: STR_HUMAN
    stats:
      tu: 46
      stamina: 40
      health: 35
      bravery: 60
      reactions: 30
      firing: 40
      throwing: 30
      strength: 30
      psiStrength: 35
      psiSkill: 0
      melee: 30
    armor: STR_BRAINWASHED_HUMAN_FARMER_ARMOR
    standHeight: 22
    kneelHeight: 14
    value: 30
    deathSound: [41, 42, 43, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145]
    energyRecovery: 25
    intelligence: 1
    aggression: 2

3 (sterile) Zombies + 2 Brainwashed Farmers have value: 3*4+2*30, which adds up to 72.

For some reason you gain more points for killing farmers than for killing zombies, but you gain for both.

This could lead to gaining poins in Farmer missions by vaporising the farmers with energy weapons.

Possible explanation: When captured, you gain just the unit value (or its multiple). When you kill the unit, you gain its unit value and can gain the corpse recovery poins (unles the corpse gets destroyed).
In order for it to be profitable to capture farmers, they have to have positive unit value, but their corpse recovery points are much greater negative to make it bad to kill them.  (Not to mention that you have to pay 10 000 in funeral expenses for them.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:43:07 am by Mathel »