Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1098277 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1290 on: August 15, 2018, 06:03:27 pm »
Well... It does.

Kind of? It actually has LESS armor value than the default armor, but it offers more percentage reduction to various damage types. So it depends. Against early game small arms fire, for instance, the normal armor is slightly better. Oh well.

Unfortunately I failed to replicate this, or find anything wrong with the terrain files.

Not really a biggie anyway. I can make a save if I encounter it again or something. Just thought I'd mention it.

No, why?
All Red Dawn people are by definition Red Dawn soldiers.

Yeah, fair enough, just thought the naming seemed inconsistent. Carry on.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1291 on: August 15, 2018, 06:07:04 pm »
Version 0.9.4c. I got the research item "Floater Legionnaire Autopsy" at the very start. There are no corpses in the storage. Bug?

Yes, it should be fixed in the currently latest version (0.9.4c).

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 15, 2018, 07:23:06 pm »
So here's one more thing before I shut up again for a while:

On the cruise liner map, there is a spot where a non-flying soldier can get stuck:

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 15, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »
So here's one more thing before I shut up again for a while:

On the cruise liner map, there is a spot where a non-flying soldier can get stuck:

Hmm, but it's the vanilla TFTD map. :P

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:18 pm »
Yes, it should be fixed in the currently latest version (0.9.4c).
I got it in 0.9.4c, which I downloaded about 2 hours ago.

And what about "Fire Spraying"? Does it require editing every gun? I tried several more guns — it worked with only 2 guns out of 5.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:09 pm »
And what about "Fire Spraying"? Does it require editing every gun? I tried several more guns — it worked with only 2 guns out of 5.

It only works on guns where it's enabled; in general, Solarius went with the rule that you need more than 3x autoshot in order for a weapon to have enough rate of fire to enable this, but there are probably exceptions.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 15, 2018, 08:55:38 pm »
Just in case, I edited the first post to make sure the link is correct. Please let me know if the problem persists.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 16, 2018, 05:15:53 pm »
Just in case, I edited the first post to make sure the link is correct. Please let me know if the problem persists.
Still the same. It's the same archive I downloaded earlier.

Just in case:
I deleted the old folders common/ , standard/ and mods/ and unpacked ones from the archive.
The executable archive is "Extended+-3.10b-f8325b1-2018-07-21-xenial-x86_64.7z" from https://lxnt.wtf/oxem/builds//ExtendedPlus/Extended+-3.10b-f8325b1-2018-07-21-xenial-x86_64.7z

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 17, 2018, 12:30:38 am »
At this point it's probably save corruption. This autopsy has been marked as available for research and it stayed like this; or at least that's what I think.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »
I've played a bit more, and run across some more things. Some of them more important than others.

Writing nitpickery:
- STR_ALIEN_BIOCHEMISTRY_UFOPEDIA: "The analysis of aliens' tissue" would be better as "The analysis of alien tissue". "the varying origins" would be better as "varying origins".
- STR_ANCIENT_ALIENS_UFOPEDIA: "We've known the aliens have been observing us for decades" would be better as "We know that the aliens have been observing us for decades".
- STR_DOSSIER_ABEBA_TEWOLDE_UFOPEDIA: Regarding, "after her orphanage caught fire and was send to Germany", the typo aside you may want to rephrase it, because it means the orphanage was sent to Germany. Also, I think "with victims carbonized" at the end there is kinda awkward.
- STR_DOSSIER_CRAZY_HASSAN_UFOPEDIA: Suggest replacing "However" with "Regardless of how". "payed" should be "paid". Suggest replacing "Steady customers" with "Repeat customers".
- STR_DOSSIER_HARLEY_STONE_UFOPEDIA: "Often implicated - but never corroborated - in brutal killings" is awkward because one cannot be corroborated in a killing. Also, suggest replacing "killings" with "killing sprees", given the remainder of the sentence.
- STR_DOSSIER_IVAN_PRYPET_UFOPEDIA: The final sentence in this article contains a style error in that it starts as an enumeration of what this person is, yet the final element of the enumeration is something he does.
- STR_DOSSIER_MONICA_GRUMMANN_UFOPEDIA: "member of Red Dawn research staff" would be better as "member of the Red Dawn research staff".
- STR_DOSSIER_PURPLE_LILLY_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "child trade, but" to "child trade until".
- STR_DOSSIER_SHANE_BARTON_UFOPEDIA: "that someone like this man and his family came in contact with alien ecosystem" would be better as "that people like this man and his family came in contact with the alien ecosystem".
- STR_FN_P90_UFOPEDIA: "50 rounds box magazine" would be better as "50 round box magazine".
- STR_MESSAGE_FROM_MAGMA_01_UFOPEDIA: "to better the humanity" should be just "to better humanity".
- STR_MUTANT_METABOLISM_UFOPEDIA: "I will be happy to provide the necessary plans whenever they're complete" is a somewhat odd sentence, maybe replace "whenever" with "as soon as"?
- STR_STAFF_011_UFOPEDIA: "wonder why is that" should be "wonder why that is". "brainwashed and blackmailed enough" would be better as "brainwashed and blackmailed to the point".
- STR_STAFF_023_UFOPEDIA: Some questionable writing in the first half of this article.
- STR_WHAT_DO_NOW_MILESTONE_2_UFOPEDIA: "wont" should be "won't". Also, "before we're decommissioned" would be better as "until we're decommissioned".
- STR_XENONAUTS_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "as well as" to "nor should".
- STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER_UFOPEDIA: "loses any control over host's physiology" should be "loses any control over the host's physiology".
- STR_ZSRR_RATIONALE_UFOPEDIA: Suggest rephrasing "survive the inevitable alien rule" as "survive the inevitable alien conquest".

The rest:
- These weapons have Ufopedia texts that are too long to fit on the screen: BlackOps Auto Sniper Rifle, PSG-1, VSS Vintorez
- The BlackOps Sniper Rifle article does not mention you need Contact: BlackOps Industries to purchase it, though presumably that is a requirement.
- The BlackOps LMG claims to require Promotion III, but this is incorrect. It does require Machine Guns License though, which it does not mention; meanwhile the BlackOps Assault LMG does not require this despite being very similar.
- Consider sorting the BlackOps CAWS next to the other BlackOps shotguns.
- The Boomer Zombie combat analysis appears to be broken. It shows up in the Ufopedia as STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER_ARMOR and crashes the game if clicked upon.
- The Shambler does not seem to have a combat analysis entry at all.
- The Dragonfly lacks a light source on its front starboard side during battles, breaking its symmetry.
- The white rocks on the tundra terrain map are all passable.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 17, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »
Some stuff I find weird.

A) Why is the damage type of bullets and spears named "Kinetic"? That would mean damage by moving object, which, while it applies, it also applies to everything in the "Blade" damage type and also Fists and Iron Pipes, which are in the "Concussive" damage type. I think that naming it simply "Piercing" would be more appropriate.

B) There are some things that are obsolete by the time you can buy or make it. Most of these have some reason for being there.
      Jumpsuit (Obsoleted [against bullets] by Armored Vest) could be gained before said vest.
      Most MAGMA standard ammo (obsoleted by MAGMA Tritanium Ammo) and weapons are dropped by Red Dawn.

What I have a problem with is MAGMA Pulse Weapons Ceramic Ammo.
   It, and the appropriate weapons can only be gained by completed a certain Team MAGMA Corp mission. But to unlock any MAGMA Corp missions you have to give them the Tritanium Ammo tech, so when you can buy the Ceramic Ammo, you can also buy the Tritanium Ammo.
   While true that the Ceramic ammo does 125% health damage, this only counts after getting through armor. And appropriate Tritanium Ammo is more than 5/4 stronger, making it just better than Ceramic Ammo. I will make 4 examples. 2 for each ammo type. In all cases, the weapon is MAGMA Pulse Rifle.

First, I shoot a Giant Rat (1 armor all around).
Ceramic Ammo has 40 Power and 125% health damage, so it deals anywhere between 0 and (80-1)*1.25 damage, which is 0 to 98.75 damage, median being (40-1)*1.25, which is 48.75.

Tritanium Ammo has 52 Power. The damage will thus be between 0 and (104-1) {0 to 103}. Median is (52-1) {51}.

Next I shoot at a Chryssalid (34 armor all around).
Ceramic ammo deals 0 to (80-34)*1.25, which is 0 to 57.5 Damage. Median is (40-34)*1.25 so 7.5.
Tritanium ammo does 0 to (104-34) which is 0 to 70. Median is 52-34, which is 18.

It would make sense to buy the ceramic ammo, if against unarmored targets, such as humans, it dealt more damage than Tritanium ammo. As it stands, there is never any reason to use it.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:29 pm »
A) Why is the damage type of bullets and spears named "Kinetic"? That would mean damage by moving object, which, while it applies, it also applies to everything in the "Blade" damage type and also Fists and Iron Pipes, which are in the "Concussive" damage type. I think that naming it simply "Piercing" would be more appropriate.

Actually it was called Armor Piercing (which is the vanilla name for it) until recently. In my opinion that was even more of a misnomer because it suggests the damage type inherently pierces armor, which it doesn't.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:02 pm »
Actually it was called Armor Piercing (which is the vanilla name for it) until recently. In my opinion that was even more of a misnomer because it suggests the damage type inherently pierces armor, which it doesn't.

True, someone could think that it ignores the armor values on enemies, but removing the "Armor" part would be enough.
But shooting someone with a crossbow or hitting them with a baseball bat is as much kinetic damage as shooting them with a pistol. (Not nescessarily in quantity, but certainly in quality)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2018, 07:54:17 pm »
True, someone could think that it ignores the armor values on enemies, but removing the "Armor" part would be enough.
But shooting someone with a crossbow or hitting them with a baseball bat is as much kinetic damage as shooting them with a pistol. (Not nescessarily in quantity, but certainly in quality)

Meh, when I see "kinetic" as a damage type I think of bullets, not of baseball bats (which I'd describe as "blunt" or maybe "impact"). So it works for me. That said if it really offends you you could always make yourself a little submod that changes it back. The string is stored in STR_DAMAGE_ARMOR_PIERCING.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 18, 2018, 11:25:56 am »
I've played a bit more, and run across some more things. Some of them more important than others.

Thank you, a very thorouhg and helpful report.
I fixed everything except for the following:

- (...) meanwhile the BlackOps Assault LMG does not require this despite being very similar.

This may not be a good decision, but it was a conscious decision nonetheless. :)

- The Boomer Zombie combat analysis appears to be broken. It shows up in the Ufopedia as STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER_ARMOR and crashes the game if clicked upon.

You appear to have some older version, before the fixes. The one currently linked has it fixed already.

- The Dragonfly lacks a light source on its front starboard side during battles, breaking its symmetry.

Nope, both sides have identical light sources.

- The white rocks on the tundra terrain map are all passable.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate any errors. Moreover, your screen shows that the ground under the boulder is incorrect, while I fixed it long ago. Could you possibly provide a save?

B) There are some things that are obsolete by the time you can buy or make it. Most of these have some reason for being there.
Jumpsuit (Obsoleted [against bullets] by Armored Vest) could be gained before said vest.

Obsoleted by Armored Vest? Sorry man, but the Jumpsuit is definitely more advanced and in many circumstances more valuable than that blasted armor. Depends on the enemy and the circumstances. And I know players who only use the jumpsuits and not the vests.

Most MAGMA standard ammo (obsoleted by MAGMA Tritanium Ammo) and weapons are dropped by Red Dawn.

Yeah, like one item (Light Cannon).

What I have a problem with is MAGMA Pulse Weapons Ceramic Ammo.
It, and the appropriate weapons can only be gained by completed a certain Team MAGMA Corp mission. But to unlock any MAGMA Corp missions you have to give them the Tritanium Ammo tech, so when you can buy the Ceramic Ammo, you can also buy the Tritanium Ammo.

False. This mission is in no way related to sharing the tritanium ammo tech.

While true that the Ceramic ammo does 125% health damage, this only counts after getting through armor. And appropriate Tritanium Ammo is more than 5/4 stronger, making it just better than Ceramic Ammo. I will make 4 examples. 2 for each ammo type. In all cases, the weapon is MAGMA Pulse Rifle. (...)

Yes, ceramic ammo is generally worse than the tritanium ammo. No wonder - it is lower on the tech tree.