Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071875 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1275 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:16 pm »
Yeah the odd half building thing comes from certain map structures taking up more then one map chunk, and then not being defined to spawn with there proper matching pieces adjacent and aligned properly.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1276 on: August 11, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »
...maybe? It's just that right now it looks like my Skymarshall simply dropped down onto a building and obliterated whatever part of the building and walkways was in the way. If that's actually intended, adding a few crushed tanks could drive that point home - X-COM simply has no time find a better suited landing place and doesn't give a f- about collateral damage. I think it's common knowledge that this would be totally fitting. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who handles urban Chryssalid infestation by applying copious ammounts of high explosives.

I did some experiments wit that, but it is really tricky.
For now I'm focusing on more important stuff, though I acknowledge the present system is not 100% perfect. Only 99% or so. :P

But...but that's not what wikipedia or the cambridge dictionary says! :P

At a glance, they definitely aren't contradictory to the idea of biological automata. After all it's just a matter of engineering, not purpose.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:03 pm »
A couple of bugs in the latest version, some of them are critical:

STR_HYPERWAVES_UFOPEDIA is completely broken and shows only the name of the string.

The STR_UFO_PROPULSION article has a wrong title and its opening causes a CTD.

STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER is displayed as STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER_ARMOR in the UFOpedia and when opened causes a crash.

The troop ship and striker share the same UFOpedia article.

All the STR_TROOP_SHIP_TERROR_MISSION strings are missing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:41:03 pm by Kammerer »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 12, 2018, 10:59:31 pm »
Thanks. I will repack and reupload the mod.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:57 am »
The Floater Legionnaire Autopsy does not have any pre-reqs, and is available for research from the start.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 13, 2018, 02:12:14 pm »
Found a problem.

I can immediately research Floater Legionaire and I am automatically at promo 1 when i picked beginner and I believe there is a punchuation mistake on the pickaxe ufopedia.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:25 pm »
The Floater Legionnaire Autopsy does not have any pre-reqs, and is available for research from the start.

Gosh darn it to heck!
Thank... Fixed. Fix attached.

I can immediately research Floater Legionaire and I am automatically at promo 1 when i picked beginner and I believe there is a punchuation mistake on the pickaxe ufopedia.

What do you mean by "I am automatically at promo 1"???

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 13, 2018, 08:06:45 pm »

Fixed. Fix attached.

BTW, the UFO propulsion CTD is still there, even after the fix :).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 13, 2018, 08:25:22 pm »
BTW, the UFO propulsion CTD is still there, even after the fix :).

...uploading 4th version now. :P

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 13, 2018, 10:15:36 pm »

What do you mean by "I am automatically at promo 1"???
Shit I double checked and I was being a dumbass, sorry. But the pickaxe still has a question mark before miner.

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 14, 2018, 03:22:18 am »
Gosh darn it to heck!
Thank... Fixed. Fix attached.

I'm not sure how the research tree works exactly ???, but STR_FLOATER_LEGIONNAIRE_AUTOPSY is still immediately available on a new game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:26:51 am by karnaugh_map »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 14, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
I had to repackage and reupload the whole thing... Please download again.
If you don't want to reinstall again, you can simply overwrite Ruleset and Language folders only.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 15, 2018, 03:49:17 pm »
I'm still in the early stages of the game, but here's a list of (perceived) issues I've come across so far:

- STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION_UFOPEDIA: "impregnation of" would be better as "impregnation [of human women] with".
- STR_G11_UFOPEDIA: "produced by the H&K" should be just "produced by H&K".
- STR_TLETH_SPEAR_UFOPEDIA: Uses the word "easily" twice in one sentence, consider rephrasing.
- Consider explaining the difference between positive and negative values for camouflage in the camouflage article.
- The dog combat gear has a weirdly shrunken paperdoll image. It is also supposed to increase the dog's carrying capacity, but doesn't.
- Same story with the durathread dog armor, which also states it offers more protection than the regular dog armor, but that's a little iffy.
- Consider adding the maximum speed of PRIVATE/CAR to the UFOpaedia article, since it is explicitly mentioned for the public one.
- The Mk23 SOCOM's description states you need Promotion II to purchase it, but that is incorrect. Recruiting the military envoy unlocks the acquisition tech.
- The "Strange Life Form" missions are labeled "Environmental Alert" in the mission briefing. The latter sounds more like a hazard such as a forest fire or a noxious cloud or something like that. Maybe worth rephrasing?
- The doors on the maps used for surf missions can be closed (but not opened) even if not enough TUs remain to do so. So far I have only seen this behavior on these particular maps.
- The Nitro Express Rifle seems to be grouped with the shotguns.
- Shouldn't the "Red Ops Soldier" be called "Red Dawn Soldier"?
- Spray & Pray doesn't make much sense on the double-barreled shotgun, in my opinion. I consider the auto-shot to be a way of modeling the firing of both barrels at once.
- Personal lighting for scout drones is pretty bright. It reveals the group right at the start of battle. This may or may not be intentional, but I'm still putting it on the list.
- In my game I found myself able to extract grav units from legionnaires despite not yet having researched floater autopsies. I think this might be an artifact of updating the mod mid-game though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 15, 2018, 05:48:36 pm »
Thank you! I fixed everything, except for the below:

- Consider explaining the difference between positive and negative values for camouflage in the camouflage article.

Okay, I guess. I should do that, but it requires some thinking.

- The dog combat gear has a weirdly shrunken paperdoll image. It is also supposed to increase the dog's carrying capacity, but doesn't.

Well... More like the standard paperdoll was enlarged, and fixing the rest to match it requires work.

- Same story with the durathread dog armor, which also states it offers more protection than the regular dog armor, but that's a little iffy.

Well... It does.

- Consider adding the maximum speed of PRIVATE/CAR to the UFOpaedia article, since it is explicitly mentioned for the public one.

I need to make a separate article, yes.

- The "Strange Life Form" missions are labeled "Environmental Alert" in the mission briefing. The latter sounds more like a hazard such as a forest fire or a noxious cloud or something like that. Maybe worth rephrasing?

The problem is that this is an alien life form, so an environmental alert by definition (just like a forest fire).

- The doors on the maps used for surf missions can be closed (but not opened) even if not enough TUs remain to do so. So far I have only seen this behavior on these particular maps.

Unfortunately I failed to replicate this, or find anything wrong with the terrain files.

- Shouldn't the "Red Ops Soldier" be called "Red Dawn Soldier"?

No, why?
All Red Dawn people are by definition Red Dawn soldiers.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 15, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »
Version 0.9.4c, OpenXCom binary from 2018-07-21.
I got the research item "Floater Legionnaire Autopsy" at the very start. There are no corpses in the storage. Bug?
P.S. Finished research in 1 day, got anti-gravity module extraction, but nothing else. Shouldn't it at least give "Floater Autopsy"?

Another bug: "Fire Spraying" does not work as described in Ufopedia. At least for Glock 18 auto fire. Ctrl + Shift + left click does not create waypoints, it works the same as Ctrl + left click.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:14:36 pm by tkzv »