aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1061127 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2520 on: July 06, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Getting a crash with 1.4, no crash with 1.4a - but with 1.4a only 2 of the three cyberweb technomads are recovered after the robot is destroyed. I take it the recovery items was changed/removed?

EDIT:

changing the armor defintion from

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_ARMOR
    spriteSheet: CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD.PCK
    spriteInv: inventory_SPACE_TECHNOMAD
    corpseBattle:
      - STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE

to

1.4a
    corpseBattle:
      - STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE

"Fixes" the segfault. I am not sure if this is intended behaviour, can somebody explain this to me?

STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE isn't even defined, while STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE is a valid item. Why does changing the corpse to an invalid item not result in a crash, while having a valid item does? This seems more like a workaround for an underlaying issue.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:58:51 pm by krautbernd »

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 06, 2020, 08:11:37 pm »
That's totally intended. I'm not sure how it would even work otherwise.

Problem is, that now means it's impossible to use. All it does is generate the message about not having enough TU to use it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: July 06, 2020, 09:09:35 pm »
Problem is, that now means it's impossible to use. All it does is generate the message about not having enough TU to use it.
You're not supposed to fire it. The displayed accuracy indicates distance.

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 06, 2020, 11:52:18 pm »
I've been messing around with tritanium ammo for a bit, trying to replicate the situation in save #2 (tritanium ammo researched on all weapons, that I have, that can use it. All without ever touching a tritanium ammo research topic).

It seems that, researching any BlackOps weapon also gives you the research for its tritanium ammo for free, if you have that ammo in your stores. Any other BlackOps weapons, that you have researched already and you also have tritanium ammo of in your store, will also have the tritanium ammo researched for free at the same time.

Seems weird to me. Is that intentional?

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 07, 2020, 04:08:43 pm »
Is it possible to force several shots follow the same trajectory with auto fire?

The G-11 wiki article says that that was the idea with it's 3-shot burst mode.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2525 on: July 08, 2020, 11:10:43 am »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Getting a crash with 1.4, no crash with 1.4a - but with 1.4a only 2 of the three cyberweb technomads are recovered after the robot is destroyed. I take it the recovery items was changed/removed?

No, certainly no removal of anything. I'm not sure if there's an issue.

EDIT:

changing the armor defintion from

corpseBattle:
      - STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE

to

1.4a
    corpseBattle:
      - STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE

"Fixes" the segfault. I am not sure if this is intended behaviour, can somebody explain this to me?

STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE isn't even defined, while STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE is a valid item. Why does changing the corpse to an invalid item not result in a crash, while having a valid item does? This seems more like a workaround for an underlaying issue.

I have no idea what you've done and how it works :) But my copy seems okay, 95% sure. I don't have the grasp on the issue though.

I've been messing around with tritanium ammo for a bit, trying to replicate the situation in save #2 (tritanium ammo researched on all weapons, that I have, that can use it. All without ever touching a tritanium ammo research topic).

It seems that, researching any BlackOps weapon also gives you the research for its tritanium ammo for free, if you have that ammo in your stores. Any other BlackOps weapons, that you have researched already and you also have tritanium ammo of in your store, will also have the tritanium ammo researched for free at the same time.

Seems weird to me. Is that intentional?

It's quite interesting, I didn't know it was possible. So in this context yes, it would be weird. But I've never noticed it myself and nobody else has reported it, so maybe it's some engine change?

Is it possible to force several shots follow the same trajectory with auto fire?

Exactly the same trajectory? No.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 08, 2020, 01:43:00 pm »
I have no idea what you've done and how it works :) But my copy seems okay, 95% sure. I don't have the grasp on the issue though.

I didn't actually "do" anything so much as whoever pushed to change on the github did, apparently.

Again, I have no idea if this is intended behaviour, but the game crashes whenever it tries to recover a transforming unit that wants to surrender and that unit has a valid corpse item.

Case in point - and you might want to keep this in mind as long this isn't fixed - listing any valid item under

corpseBattle:
for this unit will crash the game when the unit is alive at the end of the mission. The only reason it doesn't crash in 1.4a when a mission ends with that unit panicking/surrendering is because the item in question (STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_CORPSE) does not exist.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:46:37 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Cynus_X

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 08, 2020, 05:24:23 pm »
Sending your crew to an OOZE nest with the wrong gear, automatically gives them Hazmat Armour. Since these cost $10000 a pop, this kinda feels like a cheat. Don't know if this goes for all the Armour you can select, mine were equipped with Tritanium vests.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 08, 2020, 08:34:19 pm »
The ufopedia information for the Pulse Chem clips never shows up, even after you share the alien gardens tech with MAGMA. I think this may have to do with me somehow being able to buy the clips immediately after gaining the "Share Alien Gardens tech" technology without having any of the acquisitions show up in the research tab afterwards but I'm not sure. I can attach a save if needed.

Sending your crew to an OOZE nest with the wrong gear, automatically gives them Hazmat Armour. Since these cost $10000 a pop, this kinda feels like a cheat. Don't know if this goes for all the Armour you can select, mine were equipped with Tritanium vests.

The same thing happens with Dimension X missions when you don't have valid armor to use on it and in any case the armor vanishes immediately after the mission. I assume it's a failsafe to ensure you don't lock yourself out of them if you can't afford the right armors. 

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 08, 2020, 10:22:42 pm »
Update on the crash/segfault - nvm, was a mess-up on my side, for some reason my armor-definition was messed up and listed the wrong (i.e. actually existing) corpse-item.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 09, 2020, 11:11:15 am »

Erm... Umm...
So what should be done here? I can't see the problem very well (you don't keep these hazmats after all), and sure as hell I don't understand what you want me to do.

I assume it's a failsafe to ensure you don't lock yourself out of them if you can't afford the right armors.

Not even that, more like, how else would it even work? Come on.

The ufopedia information for the Pulse Chem clips never shows up, even after you share the alien gardens tech with MAGMA. I think this may have to do with me somehow being able to buy the clips immediately after gaining the "Share Alien Gardens tech" technology without having any of the acquisitions show up in the research tab afterwards but I'm not sure. I can attach a save if needed.

Do you have Pulse Pistol Chem Clip researched? If yes, then it should appear in the Pedia; if it doesn't, further investigation is needed.

Offline Cynus_X

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 09, 2020, 12:17:18 pm »
I can't see the problem very well (you don't keep these hazmats after all)

It is not a major gripe or anything. Its just that there is no incentive to purchase these hazmat suits if you can use/rent them for free when the mission appears. And currently I am not at a point where I have an abundance of money so it felt like an exploit.

So what should be done here?

I thought that since my men were not equipped with the right Armour, the mission would either not go through (like when you want to start an undercover mission with the wrong transport), or the agents not wearing the right Armour would not partake in the mission (like how you can send 10 guys to an underwater mission but only 7 partake), or they would start with the wrong Armour equipped but they would receive an HP and/or stun penalty each turn for not wearing chemical resistant Armour, just like how an eerie aura drains sanity each turn.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 09, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
I thought that since my men were not equipped with the right Armour, the mission would either not go through (like when you want to start an undercover mission with the wrong transport),

But how to do that?

or the agents not wearing the right Armour would not partake in the mission (like how you can send 10 guys to an underwater mission but only 7 partake),

That could only be done the "gal-in-the-box" way in Piratez, meaning it would transform your armour into, well, an immobile box or some other similar object. Acceptable in Piratez due to the humorous factor, but not really in XCF.

or they would start with the wrong Armour equipped but they would receive an HP and/or stun penalty each turn for not wearing chemical resistant Armour, just like how an eerie aura drains sanity each turn.

I think that would just be kinda nasty... But maybe you're right. Anyway, this is the only solution that would look viable to me.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 09, 2020, 12:58:11 pm »
It is not a major gripe or anything. Its just that there is no incentive to purchase these hazmat suits if you can use/rent them for free when the mission appears. And currently I am not at a point where I have an abundance of money so it felt like an exploit.

I thought that since my men were not equipped with the right Armour, the mission would either not go through (like when you want to start an undercover mission with the wrong transport), or the agents not wearing the right Armour would not partake in the mission (like how you can send 10 guys to an underwater mission but only 7 partake), or they would start with the wrong Armour equipped but they would receive an HP and/or stun penalty each turn for not wearing chemical resistant Armour, just like how an eerie aura drains sanity each turn.

..or, well, let´ equip them with the right armor, resp.hazmat suits - but for hell costly, so muchsuch expensive fee, factured after the mission (well, or IMMEDIATELY, still in time of finishing of mission
(in that time when there is a loot screen on)

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 09, 2020, 01:01:56 pm »
..and it´s also quite realistically - when you something do NOT have, you must order it, (buy it), or borrow it ( +, if you need it QUICKLY, - you pay alot much more, for "speedy" order"

so, for example - quickly order, buy-ing of hazmat suits, from local warehause, stores at site - 15 000 €$ / per 1piece