Author Topic: 40k  (Read 374068 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: 40k
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2017, 06:03:29 am »
oh, uh, not sure if you were ever made aware, but i remember you were looking into this for flying units:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5507.msg85118.html#msg85118

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2017, 10:32:22 pm »
oh, uh, not sure if you were ever made aware, but i remember you were looking into this for flying units:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5507.msg85118.html#msg85118

Yes , i was helped a while back , flying deamon drawing routine uses script in animation , so it only animates while flying

Offline Searmay

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:53 pm »
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. And thanks for adding Guardsmen and Sisters, they look great.
No game fit´s that superhuman description except console "space marine" no even the tabletop game,
I think you misunderstand what I meant. They're "superhuman" as in "better than human", not  "Superman". I guess the issue is partly that regular X-com lets your soldiers become pretty superhuman already.

Anyway, I decided that instead of complaining about things I didn't like I could just mod your mod myself. In the process I found some things that I consider to be bugs you probably want to fix:
  • Flamer grants throwing experience. Should use experienceTrainingMode: 6 like  the heavy flamer.
  • Some interface text colours not defined, so they end up random. In interfaces40k.rul each of ufopaedia, selectNewManufacture, and selectNewResearch has an id: list which should have a color2 defined.
  • Laspistol clip uses the sprite for plasma pistol clip instead of its own, despite there being a file for it. The correct sprite is not defined in the BIGOBS.PCK section.
  • No ships are piloted. I presume they're supposed to be as they have room for one and you defined dogfightExperience. Appropriate craft entries should include pilots: 1 or similar.
  • Scout have a vision range of 25 in both day and night. Your other units have 60 and 9 respectively. Enemies have 60 at all times. Surely at least some of those numbers are wrong.

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2017, 01:45:35 am »

found some things that I consider to be bugs you probably want to fix:
  • Flamer grants throwing experience. Should use experienceTrainingMode: 6 like  the heavy flamer.
  • Some interface text colours not defined, so they end up random. In interfaces40k.rul each of ufopaedia, selectNewManufacture, and selectNewResearch has an id: list which should have a color2 defined.
  • Laspistol clip uses the sprite for plasma pistol clip instead of its own, despite there being a file for it. The correct sprite is not defined in the BIGOBS.PCK section.
  • No ships are piloted. I presume they're supposed to be as they have room for one and you defined dogfightExperience. Appropriate craft entries should include pilots: 1 or similar.
  • Scout have a vision range of 25 in both day and night. Your other units have 60 and 9 respectively. Enemies have 60 at all times. Surely at least some of those numbers are wrong.

thanks i need many help on game correction and balancing
- done
- i´m planning to correct the interface text colors , i have tried but i´m too focused on other stuff
- done
- the piloted stuff i´m indecided yet , when i play the other mods i see no vantage only more stuff to control ( also need to know more rulset meanwhile to balance all)
-done, the scout issue i got it wrong , my plan was to give maximum vision to scout :p turn out the way around

i´ve been a bit afk due to waiting for oxce+ patch
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:12:56 pm by bulletdesigner »

Offline Searmay

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2017, 02:53:02 pm »
Please at least define a color2 for those lists so it doesn't keep changing and becoming unreadable. The relevant sections are at lines 452, 742, and 799 of interfaces40k.rul.

Piloting does give the player a way to train bravery, which is otherwise pretty hard. But other than that it doesn't make much difference. And you might not want that anyway.

Balance depends a lot on how you want the end game to play. One thing I think would make it feel more like 40k is to make melee more inviting. As it stands it's far too tempting to snipe from the other side of the map with a bolt pistol. But I don't know whether you think it's worth discouraging that or not.

Personally there are a bunch of things I'd change, but I don't want to tell you how to make your own mod. If you want my ideas I'm happy to share them though.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »
The adeptas ruins the early game with their op armour, pls add them to the mid or late game so they won't be OP early on

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2017, 08:27:20 pm »
I really hope you won't remove the female marines just because of nerds' whining... As it is now, I can simply ignore the Sororitas (I never liked them). I'd prefer them as an enemy, like in Dawn of War :)

Also I never felt like Marines in this mod aren't "Superhuman" enough, it's all relative, and that +50 reactions on Scout armor really made a huge difference...

Kudos on the new paperdolls, Guards, Chaos, Sororitas - they're great! The graphics level of the mod really becomes something to behold.

Offline Saratovetz

• Sergeant
  • whining nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 26, 2017, 01:16:48 am »
Just found some battle role markings (dat arrows) for devastators, assaults and tacticals in my files the sacred archives. There are invs for them with a small improvement - added markings on the right shoulderpad.
So, it may be useful.
Or not.
Anyway, everyone can download it if it will be needed.
Ah, and corpses are unaffected, but who cares? imo, corpse for every kind of basic armour is not so essential

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2018, 12:39:28 am »
Just found some battle role markings (dat arrows) for devastators, assaults and tacticals in my files the sacred archives. There are invs for them with a small improvement - added markings on the right shoulderpad.
So, it may be useful.
Or not.
Anyway, everyone can download it if it will be needed.
Ah, and corpses are unaffected, but who cares? imo, corpse for every kind of basic armour is not so essential

nice, i will insert then in the mod

The adeptas ruins the early game with their op armour, pls add them to the mid or late game so they won't be OP early on
adeptas are restricted to no promotion and basic armor (no heavy weapons) also i will decrease a bit their str. so they are only useful in the early game as backup

Please at least define a color2 for those lists so it doesn't keep changing and becoming unreadable. The relevant sections are at lines 452, 742, and 799 of interfaces40k.rul.

Piloting does give the player a way to train bravery, which is otherwise pretty hard. But other than that it doesn't make much difference. And you might not want that anyway.

would make it feel more like 40k is to make melee more inviting.

Personally there are a bunch of things I'd change, but I don't want to tell you how to make your own mod. If you want my ideas I'm happy to share them though.

U can speak your mind. share it , the mod should be enjoyed by all

i also like 40k to be more melee, but i haven't found the balance yet

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2018, 02:16:17 am »
meanwhile dread invs to come

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2018, 07:17:36 am »
holy crap those sprites are sexy

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2018, 10:06:33 pm »
holy crap those sprites are sexy

Thks

Corrected, thanks 2 i was looking a way to solve the issue

Offline Searmay

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »
As usual your sprites are fantastic.

U can speak your mind. share it , the mod should be enjoyed by all

i also like 40k to be more melee, but i haven't found the balance yet
Sure, it's just a matter of what's relevant. My idea of a 40k mod would be hordes of disposable guardsmen with crappy lasguns. Most people's idea of 40k is space marines.

My suggestions to make melee attractive:
  • lower maxViewDistance, or lower distances set for each armour;
  • decent starting melee stats for your guys - I'd say in line with throwing;
  • fix combat knife and shock maul to use melee skill;
  • aimRange for everything but the sniper rifle;
  • shorten the combat knife to fit in a belt - at least until transformable guns let you fix bayonets;
  • give lots of armour shredding to chain and power weapons, and less to guns - lasers might ignore some armour instead.
That looks like a lot but I don't think it's too much. Melee is pretty terrible at the moment.

I have other ideas too.

Lasguns are a bit odd at the moment. You can buy guns but not clips, and pick up clips from enemy (and friendly) corpses - all before you research them. Plus they shred armour, which isn't typical in 40k. I'd suggest removing the armour damage from them and making the research go towards hot-shot clips which do go through armour.

The storm bolter is weirdly powerful rather than being a rapid fire bolter. (Chaos tend to use slightly different combi-bolters instead, though the distinction might not matter).

Enemy factions would be more strongly themed around the four gods rather  than armour types. I presume you did it this way to fit more with the Xcom races, but I think that hinders the 40k feel. You could even do it by legion, but that's probably a lot of extra work for not much benefit.

Enemy armour is far weaker than yours. Granted it's already kind of a slog to kill terminators, but it probably should be. Combined with the previous suggestion you wouldn't just be fighting a horde of them though.

I hope some of these suggestions are helpful even if you don't want to use them.

Offline Saratovetz

• Sergeant
  • whining nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2018, 09:54:21 pm »
decent starting melee stats for your guys - I'd say in line with throwing

But then ULTRA-super-duper-mega-humans will be too weak, isn't it? ;)

Lasguns are a bit odd at the moment.

Yeah, anti-armour lasguns (and stun-grav!) are weird lore-wise. There are some balance issues, I think.

Enemy factions would be more strongly themed around the four gods rather  than armour types. I presume you did it this way to fit more with the Xcom races, but I think that hinders the 40k feel. You could even do it by legion, but that's probably a lot of extra work for not much benefit.

+1 here! Dividing the CSM faction will make gameplay much more interesting, because player must encounter different warbands and choose tactic more carefully. For example, Khorne warband will be more melee-oriented, Nurgle one will be tougher then others, Slaanesh one - fast atacking, and Tzeentch... current CSM is actually Tzeentch warband as all of them are psykers

P.S.: art is wonderfull, indeed)

Online bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2018, 03:12:31 am »
Unlike Mark Hamill i agree in everypoint , i will see what i can do

Still dividing the CSM faction is the one that i won´t go there yet ,due to time and patient , recently a got a lot of lose end´s

The special Lasclip idea resolves lot of issue and give me an great idea meanwhile
Spacemarine  lasgun´s and bolter (blue ones, i want to used already built resources ) will be the ones that fire special Lasclip and mastercrafted bullet along with mastercrafted weapons.
Currently i´m doing map expansion for desert snow and forest (abandon base) there i leave crate with blue ones random.

i can easily swap armor for health in CSM (so it matches player) , still is not tested territory, in dreadnought case is equal SM to CSM

About the melee issue i will do that points
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:23:08 pm by bulletdesigner »