Author Topic: 40k  (Read 374112 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: 40k
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2018, 08:13:14 pm »
Continued from the bugreports thread:
Oh ok thanks for the info about posting.

Unrelated question, is there anything I can do to help with the UFOpaedia entries? Some of them are not so clear. I have no experience in modding xcom but my English is pretty good and I think I could help with some writing. Plus I love 40k and would do research if you required (even if this mod isn't very canon i.e. female space marines).

Lastly, I've been doing this a lot in all my posts so I think I have to ask. I ask more questions(like this 8) ) after my response. Is that inappropriate? Should I just bring all these questions into general instead of ending my posts like this?

I'm working my way through the Codex text entries to clean them up, but you're welcome to have a look at them and propose edited versions if you'd like.

Adding more questions after a response is fine, just check if it's changing topics away from the main topic of the thread - it might be better to find an existing thread that's closer to the new topic or if none fit, make your own.

Offline Chapter Master Girlyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 13, 2018, 08:26:08 pm »
Hi,

Love the mod a lot. One of the changes to the codex would be about the ammo difference between master crafted bolter and regular bolter ammo. Ufopaedia shows them having exact same effect. I think the stats are technically correct, but if I didn't know better and I just read it as a newb I may have thought that they are the exact same. In reality master crafted bolts do more damage, so maybe the entry should mention that instead of just the special stats bolt weapons have.

After the new version, I've noticed that older entries have these bright white details where some of the newer entries show the probably intended black. I also think I noticed that the background for most of the space marines list is brighter (which helps a lot if, if I'm not only imagining it) but not sure if these two changes were related and one caused the other.

Really cool stuff you guys are doing btw. Do you need me to remove my old posts to clear space?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:31:07 pm by Chapter Master Girlyman »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 13, 2018, 09:11:13 pm »
The ammo articles may be out-of-date, and all the information they contain can be found by clicking the 'INFO' button on the weapons' articles and selecting the type of ammo from the drop-down menu in the upper right of the info screen. In fact, the ammo articles were created originally because there was no official way of communicating this information except by writing extra text/articles.

We haven't done any large-scale change of the images for codex articles or the background images - did you update your OXCE version recently? There was a change in how images are treated that would reveal images where transparency was used incorrectly.

You don't need to remove any of your posts.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 13, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »
Yes, I updated OXCE recently to the 2nd December version. That is probably the reason then. Did notice that that the new codex articles for the IG mod resources are all perfectly fine. Not sure if that helps at all, but I guess it won't if you see what I see as you can just find out yourself  :P.

Also want to let you know I appreciate that info tab. It was actually the only way I knew for sure that master crafted did more dmg before getting it.

Also, as a question about psi needing line of sight for this mod, are there plans to include something specific to this mod for all the options? Seeing as the option to use the old extended mod to enable this was phased out due to being potentially buggy, I believe that there is an imbalance when it comes to psi. I do not necessarily think that chaos mc is op--or that anything else is really crazy--but that specifically a few trained librarians with the suit's mc (mind tome I think) sitting in craft controlling stuff is op. Even though the old mod might not have been made for 40k and could have been messing other stuff up, it balanced this aspect of the psi battle between forces where a few trained guys can take a base with at least one person acting as eyes.

Will need to play more to confirm this, but even with the psi penalty that librarian armor provides, I have a feeling it will not be balanced based on my memories of og xcom.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 13, 2018, 10:54:58 pm »
We will likely not port the standard mods over. Psionics are indeed super-strong and we'd be looking at better balance options than just the LOS switch if we're going to do something about it, but for now we'll probably stick with the reduced availability from locking it to librarian armor and the stat debuffs. Getting a trained librarian to the point of dominating the battlefield is your reward for sticking it out that long in a difficult mod.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 13, 2018, 11:05:46 pm »
Nice. Just played around with it and notice line of sight required on librarian armor. However, chaos traitors were not and I nearly lost a captain armor. Thankfully took no losses but it was close and I think if I got slightly unlucky the entire 18 man team would be dead lol. Not enough experience to know how you will balance psi. Good luck tho! The potential is insane, especially when you consider the potential abilities librarians have in the board game that could translate new psi gameplay.

In board game, the librarian has to check to see if he doesn't kill himself basically when using his powers. Maybe you can use combination of bravery, stamina, and morale? Stamina is already there, but how about the lower this combination of stats overall , the higher the chance the librarian will hurt himself and others around him majorly (the warp breaks through his mind) if he tries any special abillity (mind tome, future spells?). Idk about the chapter teaching tomes, think those should just stay bravery and/or stamina.

The idea I guess is that if the librarian is more tired, more chance of ability backfiring. Or if they are not brave enough they can hurt themselves trying powerful spells. Dunno anything about modding so dunno if this is possible. Good luck anyway.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:15 pm »
This could be done by damage script as it can access casting unit.
Simply add if that check if stamina/energy is low and then do small damage to caster. This could be randomized.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 13, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »
I have some notes for alternate psi abilities based more on the tabletop as the classic X-Com Psi Panic + Mind Control doesn't fit terribly well, but haven't had the time to take a closer look at which changes bulletdesigner or I would want to make. I'm working on adding Sanctioned Psykers for the Imperial Guard and I'll experiment a bit more there before I come up with a recommendation for the Librarians and Chaos Sorcerers.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2018, 03:05:55 am »
Well to be honest i thought line of sight for psi was enforced (for marine and chaos), but checking fixeduserOptions, i see it´s optional for chaos( supposed to be LOS required also) i will corrected , also using psi takes energy and get´s you stunned, so on the long run if you catch a small bullet you drop stunned.

Online Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2018, 06:57:02 pm »
Hi, Im trying to get the mod working but when I run OXCE it says it the is missing the "common" directory, any help?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 14, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »
Did it complain about this when you first ran OXCE without the mod? Can you attach a copy of openxcom.log from when you get the error message?

Online Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 14, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
I think this is it

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #462 on: December 14, 2018, 10:17:39 pm »
You haven't answered Otto's question.
Have you been able to run the normal game or not?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 14, 2018, 11:17:12 pm »
Also, what do the contents of your Documents/OpenXcom folder look like, and where are the 40k mod and OXCE files located?

Online Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 15, 2018, 12:18:20 am »
I can run the game normally, I can comfirm that and I have left the files as they were when I extracted the files, sorry about all the trouble about this it's just I suck at installing these things.