Author Topic: You have not succeded in dealing with the alien invasion  (Read 4820 times)

Offline quiet

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
You have not succeded in dealing with the alien invasion
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:47 am »
Hi, guys

I am playing OpenXcom version 1.0 on the veteran difficulty level. Everything went pretty good in the game except the fact that I left the discovered alien base untouched. Actually I tried to assault the base but reloaded after a psionic strike. And a half year after the base discovery I've got the message meaning the game is over. I loaded a bit earlier (1-2 weeks in-game time) save and successfully assaulted the base, but got the same message. Both times my rating was positive as well as funding change value.
The only disturbing fact was that the UK signed a treaty with aliens.
Is it normal that the game ends in the condition? I mean is it a bug or a normal behavior?
The savegame 1 day before gameover is attached.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: You have not succeded in dealing with the alien invasion
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:00:42 am »
One of the lose conditions is to have 2 months with a negative credit balance over 1 million $, where your monthly Maintenance expenses are bigger than your monthly Council income + available funds when the balance is calculated at the end of the month.

If you check the Graphs you already had a previous negative balance in May, and on the lose screen it shows:

Income: $9973000
Maintenance: 13003000$
Balance: -$3812698

Since you only have 467802$ in available credits that is not enough to cover the negative balance so game over.

To prevent losing the game just sell stuff from your stores until have at least enough credits to cover the $3812698 negative balance below 1 million when the month ends
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:05:21 am by Hobbes »

Offline quiet

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:11 am »
Hobbes, you are absolutely right, thank you very much for your thorough explanation.
You mentioned that the game had shown you the balance on the lose screen.
Version 1.0 didn't show me that, only 4 pictures with predefined text. You might be using nightly.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:38 am »
Yes, the nightly version of that screen is more informative. It shows you current maintenance, current balance (as of midnight of the 1st of the month, so with the maintenance and monthly money factored in) and funding total for next month.

For this and a multitude of reasons, it is well worth upgrading to the nightly version.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:31:52 pm »
You mentioned that the game had shown you the balance on the lose screen.
Version 1.0 didn't show me that, only 4 pictures with predefined text. You might be using nightly.

My mistake by saying it showed the balance on the lose screen. I meant this:

Yes, the nightly version of that screen is more informative. It shows you current maintenance, current balance (as of midnight of the 1st of the month, so with the maintenance and monthly money factored in) and funding total for next month.

For this and a multitude of reasons, it is well worth upgrading to the nightly version.

The End of the Month or the Lose screen are the same of the original game IIRC, on both the stable/nightly

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »
I made the same mistake too I know this is vanilla bahavior, but I really wish there was a more informative message.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:00:25 pm »
It clearly warns you with the exact condition you have to avoid the first time you dip below -$1,000,000

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:09:45 pm »
It clearly warns you with the exact condition you have to avoid the first time you dip below -$1,000,000

This is a situation close to RTFM (Read The Flaming Manual), or in this case RTFS. We've all been there :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
The End of the Month or the Lose screen are the same of the original game IIRC, on both the stable/nightly
Nope, we added the balance on the nightly, this is the original / 1.0:

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:13:24 pm »
Nope, we added the balance on the nightly, this is the original / 1.0:

Thanks for the clarification!