Author Topic: Bladum's ideas compilation  (Read 12878 times)

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
Bladum's ideas compilation
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:35:52 am »
Some my ideas for OXCE+ collected from different posts.

My proposition is:
  • If you like idea, please comment 1) +
  • If you don't, just ignore it

Ideas moved to google.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yzyycRJ6Nq_SC3bE5sdq41aq_x7GgkQ9eAyoulpJYoI/edit#gid=0

Github repo
https://github.com/Bladum/OXCE-Bladum

EDIT: all ideas moved to gogle excel above
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:55:22 pm by bladum »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bladum's ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »
5) damage taken to alien craft during xcom base assault should define number of aliens that will die in turn 1 of the battle. 20% damage - 20% chance to alien be dead in the first turn.

That always bothered me - hitting an attacking ufo should indded have an effect on the following battle!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »
Three pluses from me...

1/ custom sprites have been already added in vanilla recently
2/ -
3/ -
4/ maybe
5/ -
6/ meh
7/ -
8/ maybe
9/ RMB and MMB are already taken for other actions
10/ already available in vanilla for a long time (hotkey R)
11/ -
12/ maybe
13/ maybe
14/ -
15/ meh
16/ this is not as easy as it sounds... if you figure out how it should work, then I support it
17/ meh
18/ -
19/ -
20/ -
21/ meh
22/ -
23/ maybe... how should it look exactly?
24/ -
25/ -
26/ -
27/ -
28/ -
29/ -
30/ -
31/ there are other ways to do it, for example environmental effects in OXCE+ (just set them to affect only enemy and last 1 turn only)
32/ -
33/ -
34/ psi vision works quite OK in OXCE+ without a need for scanner
35/ -
36/ what?
37/ -
38/ + ... first plus :)
39/ could be done in OXCE+ already by recovering a special item and manufacturing a soldier out of it
40/ -
41/ -
42/ maybe... already on Solar's wishlist
43/ -
44/ -
45/ already possible to override shadow per alien deployment with "shadow" (vanilla) and "maxShadow" and "minShadow" (oxce+), can't think of what more could one want
46/ + ... second plus
47/ + ... third plus
48/ meh
49/ already available in oxce+
50/ -
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:32:19 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:02:42 pm »
Here's some comments in addition to Meridian's post:

4) I like this one. Not sure if Ill use it, but it fits Piratez well, with the multitude of defence buildings and the general materialistic approach (more than in vanilla).

8) I'd rather see it on the armour Ufopaedia page. It would be more streamlined and probably easier to code. Modders put this info in the Ufopaedia text anyway.

15) Oh Gollop, yes. This is something we've felt is a big problem from the start. It would allow to the player to choose if s/he wants a psionic helmet, or a night vision helmet, for example. Or either a jetpack or a normal backpack (no item, just standard inventory space). It would add a neat new tactical layer, and it is how things work in some pretty much all other tactical games. I repeat: this is something I've been agonizing over since I've started modding X-Com.

24) Would be interesting, but obviously a lot of work. If there's a chance it becomes true, I'll try to design some system for civilians/staff relationship.

26) I'd extrapolate it to the general "items influence stats". Which somewhat ties to the 15). Generally, it would be a very good thing... if it ever happened.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:20:17 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:13:45 pm »
I've had an idea:

Since backpacks had a TU nerf, how about some armors that have as their specialty a larger belt or quickdraw inventory, so you can fit items of height 3 there? I was thinking about the melee weapons here, as one of the big drawbacks of rapier and saber is that you can't have them on your belt.
This would work well with the suggested 15), to limit items to specific inventory slots.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 11:24:55 pm »
Since backpacks had a TU nerf

It's simply not true. The TU on backpacks were reversed, not nerfed.

As for the other stuff - yeah having a large melee weapon or a Light Cannon on the belt would be nice, but it would remove one of precious few advantages of knives and pistols, duh. It's a tired topic.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
I don't have any responses on the ideas as of right now, but just a note:  If we just comment on the ones we like, then you don't get to find out why we don't like the others.  :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:35:53 pm »
Feel free to comment on what you don't like as well, as moderator I must remind that such rules as Badlum's hold no power here.
However keep in mind that he just made a compilation (despite what he claims in the title, but confirmed by what he says later), so don't shoot the messenger.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:37:50 pm by Dioxine »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »
I had no intention of being rude, just mentioning that you get at least as much use out of comments on why something doesn't work as you do from wholehearted support of what does.

Incidentally, Bladum, Welcome to our little corner of the forum.
Barrels of grog are in the corner, meat is on the table.   ;D

Maybe you've been here before, probably before me, but welcomes are always fun.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:51:12 pm by khade »

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 12:41:27 am »
It's simply not true. The TU on backpacks were reversed, not nerfed.

As for the other stuff - yeah having a large melee weapon or a Light Cannon on the belt would be nice, but it would remove one of precious few advantages of knives and pistols, duh. It's a tired topic.

I was not here when that topic was discussed, I apologize.

The backpack was nerfed as a slot for a backup weapon. When you need that weapon, you only need to take it out, not put it back in. That 8 TU more can make the difference between "can take out and shoot the same round" and "take out, shoot next round". I will see how much it actually bothers me, but I would certainly say it's a nerf.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:46 am »
26) I'd extrapolate it to the general "items influence stats". Which somewhat ties to the 15). Generally, it would be a very good thing... if it ever happened.
This is partially done already, this is question of when I add script in interesting places. Closest thing I plan to add is script weapon damage and defense, but this will be after nightly merge.

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
Re: Bladum's ideas compilation
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:55:28 am »
Hi,

1) It suppose to be compilation of my ideas from different parts of the forum. Sorry for confusion.
2) feel free to comment any way you like, idea was to make answers as short as possible "hot or not".
3) try to use google sheet, every one can edit it. Added to first post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yzyycRJ6Nq_SC3bE5sdq41aq_x7GgkQ9eAyoulpJYoI/edit#gid=0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:10:34 pm by bladum »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »
But it does not matter who is owner of idea, we all want make openxcom better game.

I beg to differ. While the last part of the sentence is certainly true, I cannot agree withe first one. Credit has to be given where due.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:42:28 pm by Zharkov »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
I beg to differ. While the last part of the sentence is certainly true, I cannot agree withe first one. Credit has to given where due.

Ideas are not a property of any person, especially such general ones. Many of them emerge from many people simultaneously anyway.

I agree that credits for a particular work should be given. But let's not get into pseudo-legal cloudcuckooland here, okay?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:33:15 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »
guys,

I removed this part about "idea ownership". Can we please focus on the content, please ? Thanks :)