Author Topic: Can't find Alien Scientist rank in any Aliens. (Area51 mod)  (Read 2586 times)

Offline adamstone333

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Can't find Alien Scientist rank in any Aliens. (Area51 mod)
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:14 pm »
As said above, I go on all sorts of missions, crashed-ufo, faculty missions, ground missions, alien base missions, Enemy VIP missions, Council missions but I can't find a single alien with the "scientist" rank among them. You need to capture an alien scientist if you want to get better weapons and tech and stuff (with the Area51 megamod I have instaled), so going on with the game without it is pretty hopeless. I have a mind-probe tech and I identify every single alien on the battlescape so I'm sure I couldn't have missed any.

So let's see if I've done anything wrong:

I'm running openxcom with 1.0 git 2016-09-25 17:26 nightly version with Area51 mod installed  (no other megamods installed, except for the HQ-sound pack with isn't a megamod)

No reason I can think of. Have I not waited enough, have I missed them continuously? Is there a bug or some technical error? Am I doing something wrong?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find Alien Scientist rank in any Aliens. (Area51 mod)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:20:50 pm »
Here's a post from the mod's author on the subject. You'd probably have more luck posting on the Area 51 sub-forum, by the way.

Offline adamstone333

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »
I read it but researching is pretty bleak idea since game is near to death from all the nations signing pacts after each other. And the author wasn't very clear about where I can exactly find any Alien scientists.

I've tried Large ships and bases, never tried Extra-Large ships.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:18 pm »
I read it but researching is pretty bleak idea since game is near to death from all the nations signing pacts after each other. And the author wasn't very clear about where I can exactly find any Alien scientists.

If i recall correctly the alien Scientist Rank is only available on Labship. Category Very Large.
But better ask hobbes :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:47:37 pm »

You can lose all 16 countries to pacts and the game won't end because of it as long as you keep making enough money from sales to cover your monthly expenses ;)

Alien scientists can only be found in Abductors, Harvesters and Labships. And those 3 UFO types only appear in Alien Research/Harvest/Abductions missions

There is also another way of getting a chance to unlock Elerium-115 without requiring a scientist through the Bluebook research/missions
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:50:53 pm by Hobbes »

Offline adamstone333

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:14:17 pm »
You can lose all 16 countries to pacts and the game won't end because of it as long as you keep making enough money from sales to cover your monthly expenses ;)

Alien scientists can only be found in Abductors, Harvesters and Labships. And those 3 UFO types only appear in Alien Research/Harvest/Abductions missions

There is also another way of getting a chance to unlock Elerium-115 without requiring a scientist through the Bluebook research/missions

I finished my bluebook research, in fact the option to do bluebook research is no longer avalible. But there's nothing new, I fast forwarded to see if there would be new missions but there aren't any of that either

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:50:20 pm »
I finished my bluebook research, in fact the option to do bluebook research is no longer avalible. But there's nothing new, I fast forwarded to see if there would be new missions but there aren't any of that either

If you have all the Bluebook Reports then on the next month after you completed the research you'll get the Papoose Lake mission. If you recover the data disk from the mission and research it, then on the following month you'll get another special mission where you can recover tech to unlock Elerium.

Can you post a saved game of your current campaign? Just to check something, thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:34:58 pm by Hobbes »