Author Topic: OpenXcom tactical gameplay video uploads  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
OpenXcom tactical gameplay video uploads
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:30 am »
I thought I'd start a tactical game play thread in OpenXcom (Ufo defence/Enemy Unknown).

If anyone else has any interesting tactical game play videos/tutorials feel free to upload video in this thread (maybe provide a brief description- if you want). It will be interesting how others do their missions/deal with the alien menace (particularly at the higher difficulty levels).

I tend to heavily favour High Explosives and high reaction stat (50+ for all recruits), but maybe some of you guys do things differently...

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom tactical gameplay video uploads
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:46 am »
Terror Mission using Awesome Guns mod vs Mutons (ultra violence difficulty)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXeRspLgEc

We look at High Explosives/ clearing building (the SAFE WAY!!!), with HEs (I personally favour heavy use of smoke screens and HEs).

This is my Elite team (or getting to elite- it has been a few months into the game so the troops have all racked-up at least 10-20 missions). I rushed Power Armour as in combination with medi-kits significantly improves survivalability of troopers.
My TEAMlayout: x1 sniper; x1 heavy; x2 grenadiers; x10 scouts = 14 total Troops (using Skyranger transporter). I tend NOT to favour TANKS (only leave some lying around for base defense- again tanks don't give exp.)

There is also a brief look of how I arranged my main base for base defense at end of video

*NB: the first 4.30 is equipment so feel free to skip this and go straight to mission if you want. Important thing is to pre-prime your smoke grenades & HEs (Grenadiers only- don't pre-prime on scouts).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:06:13 am by Zyzyfer »

Offline theheraldoffear

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »
How are you recording your footage of the game? I can share any tips because obs doesn't pick up the game to record for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:41 pm »
I am using OBS. You gotta start the record when in game- if you're in windows it wont work (set up hotkeys; i use num1= start record; num2=stop record).
If you want to see preview of your record (as an example), you gotta hit preview then go inside game, then you can minimise and you will see preview (otherwise you  get black screen).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:51 pm »
I could record a tactitcal video auf Storming a Labship in the future.
Race could be something hard to kill, maybe some Sectoid Elites.

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
Yeah storming ufo's (particularly the larger ones is nightmare for me). So it would be interesting how others do it/ good tactics they use.

I am also not getting much base defense missions (would love to see someone do a good tactical video of same). In my last x3 campaigns using openxcom; on the hardest difficulty mind you, not a single attack by alien on my base (i am beginning to think there's a bug or something- vanilla from memory seemed to result in at least one base defense every campaign- think for my next playthrough  I am gonna use mod that allows every UFO to detect xcom base just so see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:54:49 pm by Zyzyfer »