Author Topic: Modular HWP suggestion  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Thyl

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Modular HWP suggestion
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:51:13 am »
For example, Tank/Autocannon could be assembled from tank/track chassis and tank AC turret for 5 WH. Same for disassembling.
This will give more tactical and economical flexibility and also looks realistic.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:14:48 pm by Thyl »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: Modular HWP suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:43:13 am »
You can add a ruleset that will allow you to build a custom HWP from various components.

Offline Thyl

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »
I sure can, but that's not the point of my post. I'm suggesting the idea to Dioxine so looks into possibility of including it into mod globally.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »
Make the ruleset yourself and offer it as a mod. If Dioxine likes it he will include it in the main.
OpenXcom is do-it-yourself.

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:35 pm »
For example, Tank/Autocannon could be assembled from tank/track chassis and tank AC turret for 5 WH. Same for disassembling.
This will give more tactical and economical flexibility and also looks realistic.

There is already this assembling/deassembling in some mod.
Seems to me that one of the first was this:

" XCom Armory Expanded"
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2675.0

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:37:05 am »
Yes, modular tanks have been around for a while. It works but it's not as useful as one would think and, back then, was more annoying than anything. With the UI improvements that Meridian implemented, it would be more useable.

But I think Dioxine has plans to make tanks a soldier type and the different hulls/turrets can then be armors and weapons. If this is the case, it would be unlikely that he would be interested to implement this.

Offline Thyl

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:35:02 am »
Yes, modular tanks have been around for a while. It works but it's not as useful as one would think and, back then, was more annoying than anything.
I can imagine that in original game it would be just a drag. But piratez is different. With modular tanks I'll be able to make AC tank right away to play around, without a fear to waste precious an scarce tank wrecks.

But I think Dioxine has plans to make tanks a soldier type and the different hulls/turrets can then be armors and weapons. If this is the case, it would be unlikely that he would be interested to implement this.
That's a good thin to read. Obviously, tanks as a soldier would be the right way to do it, while assembling/disassembling via workshop is a makeshift solution.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:44:54 am »
Modular tanks, and modular weapons make sense. But overhauls are just that. I could imagine a weapon modding system in which you add to a base design things like scopes, power amps, etc.

While nice to want these changes unless another player makes the mod him/herself I don't think it'll be implemented in the main game.