Author Topic: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha on page 3 - 1/1/17  (Read 9540 times)

The_Funktasm

Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Time to get some input - 11/07/16
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 10:11:08 pm »
Wait, is there a download for these sprites yet? If not, keep up the good work, these are looking amazing! They are triggering some nostalgia from when I first found custom-weapon mods. If you are looking for anyone to write some description on the weapons (like a small summary) I can handle myself pretty well with modern-munition knowledge, not to mention decent at making up some sci-fi mumbo-jumbo to describe a laser. If you are at all interested please let me know, I would love to help in any way I can!

Edit: I see that you are looking for an adequate name for the RPO, and I would suggest using the name RPO Rys, an older cousin to the RPO-A "Schmel," but the model you have most closely relates to the older Rys, at least in my opinion. Here, have a looksie yourself:
https://www.military-today.com/firearms/rpo_rys.jpg
(This one doesn't have a scope, but they do come with those. Although if you are looking for simplicity, RPO is accurate enough)
I think I could use a bit of backup on getting stats fixed and coming up with somewhat better descriptions for some equipment. All of my good ones end up using too much space for the ufopaedia pages. As far as a download for these sprites in a usable form, I can get all that I have together for a pack on the main post later today, but I don't have quite every weapon in a usable form yet.

Here's an example of one of my ufopaedia entries. I am interested in hearing alternatives.

Some very nice work here!  :D  Quite the nice human arsenal. :)   
Question: Did you get them paletted into Xcom's palette? 
Also, one consideration:  HandObs and Floor Obs. Have you worked any of these up?  (These are shorter, 32X40, vs the 32X48 of BigObs. Just FYI, not sure if you are up on that stuff). 

I have quite a few weapons paletted and in game now, including a few HandObs and FloorObs based on the AK47 from Area 51. At some point I have time for polishing some of the stuff I've made, I'm probably going to make a decent few more based on the original weapons. I got a sheet off the ufopaedia wiki that seems like I could make most of them off of. The only ingame problem I have is that I'll have to go back and align my sprites to the general BigOb grid layout rather than how I've been doing it up to now, since hardly any of my magazine/1-tile items sit in the middle of the inventory squares.

Added some energy weapons I did to the first post. And here... why not?

TFTD-esque energy weapon family:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:53:07 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 07:27:54 am »
Sure, I will see what I can conjure up. I will try and do something for the Beretta and Desert Eagle, but it may be a bit until I can do that.

The_Funktasm

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:47 pm »
Sure, I will see what I can conjure up. I will try and do something for the Beretta and Desert Eagle, but it may be a bit until I can do that.

I felt those were some of my good ones, but I appreciate any input that makes for a more immediately useful description for any players needing basic usage info on the weapons in the mod.

As far as lasers, which you mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of giving them an alien alloy dependency, explained in the UFOPaedia with some info about the basic laser family of weapons explaining that alien alloys can be finely tuned for minimum or maximum conduction, meaning that much better heat-sinks and custom batteries can be made with it than before. As far as balance, my laser weapons are better than stock weapons, but not better than alloy rounds damage-wise. Their main benefit is accuracy. Even with less TU efficiency, they hit better over a distance and need no ammo. (though I've thought a recharging disposable model for them with a maximum of shots before their electronics "fuse" in any single mission might work)

If it helps, here's a list of weapons in the game already, or that I'm intending to add:
Spoiler:
M1911, PM Makarov, Glock 18, 38+p+ Snubnose, Desert Eagle/scoped, M93r Beretta, Ingram M10, Scorpion/VZ61, Bizon 9x18mm, MP5/MP5K, AK74, AKS-74-u, RPK, FN-FAL, FN-P90, M4/Carbine/GL/Sniper, PKM, M60, M249, M2 (dismounted for power armor), 7.62x51/5.56x45 Miniguns, Mosin Nagant rifle, M-24/Remington 700, XCOM PSG-1, XCOM .50 BMG AMR, Remington 870, XCOM Benelli M4 shotgun, XCOM Serbu Super Shorty, Protecta Bulldog, Milkor MGL Grenade Launcher, H&K 69 Grenade Launcher, M-79 Grenade Launcher, RPG-7 Launcher, compact "X-Faust" launcher based on the RPG, M202 FLASH launcher, "shoulder mounted guided missile", "psionic guided missile"

Out of those I'm only really settled on the two desert eagle ones, the mp5 ones, the minigun ones, and the ones for some of the AK family.

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 09:05:25 pm »
I felt those were some of my good ones, but I appreciate any input that makes for a more immediately useful description for any players needing basic usage info on the weapons in the mod.

As far as lasers, which you mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of giving them an alien alloy dependency, explained in the UFOPaedia with some info about the basic laser family of weapons explaining that alien alloys can be finely tuned for minimum or maximum conduction, meaning that much better heat-sinks and custom batteries can be made with it than before. As far as balance, my laser weapons are better than stock weapons, but not better than alloy rounds damage-wise. Their main benefit is accuracy. Even with less TU efficiency, they hit better over a distance and need no ammo. (though I've thought a recharging disposable model for them with a maximum of shots before their electronics "fuse" in any single mission might work)

If it helps, here's a list of weapons in the game already, or that I'm intending to add:
Spoiler:
M1911, PM Makarov, Glock 18, 38+p+ Snubnose, Desert Eagle/scoped, M93r Beretta, Ingram M10, Scorpion/VZ61, Bizon 9x18mm, MP5/MP5K, AK74, AKS-74-u, RPK, FN-FAL, FN-P90, M4/Carbine/GL/Sniper, PKM, M60, M249, M2 (dismounted for power armor), 7.62x51/5.56x45 Miniguns, Mosin Nagant rifle, M-24/Remington 700, XCOM PSG-1, XCOM .50 BMG AMR, Remington 870, XCOM Benelli M4 shotgun, XCOM Serbu Super Shorty, Protecta Bulldog, Milkor MGL Grenade Launcher, H&K 69 Grenade Launcher, M-79 Grenade Launcher, RPG-7 Launcher, compact "X-Faust" launcher based on the RPG, M202 FLASH launcher, "shoulder mounted guided missile", "psionic guided missile"

Out of those I'm only really settled on the two desert eagle ones, the mp5 ones, the minigun ones, and the ones for some of the AK family.

Oh, don't worry about those ones, they are actually quite well-made, all I am saying is that if there are some you would like changes to specifically I can try my hand at writing an "revised" version. Unless you have a specific weapon with an inadequate description, I will probably tackle the M1911 first as a demonstration of sorts. Hopefully you enjoy it!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
So I figure it's good to supply what I can that's useful for everybody. Here are some explosion sprites I made off of the Extra Explosion sprites as a base. They're mostly so I can include my own effects in my mod since it's going to be affecting a lot of stuff by the end. XSPLODE1.png is also based on the Duke Nukem 3d explosion sprites.

I made it a bit noisy and less solid in later frames so it stacks better. I don't like how blatant the HE Skull is, personally, but it serves a purpose in allowing explosion depth to show. I think overall it's retro enough not to stick out too bad...

Oh, don't worry about those ones, they are actually quite well-made, all I am saying is that if there are some you would like changes to specifically I can try my hand at writing an "revised" version. Unless you have a specific weapon with an inadequate description, I will probably tackle the M1911 first as a demonstration of sorts. Hopefully you enjoy it!

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You'll probably sum it up better than I did.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:38:53 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Looks pretty good!

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Nice looking explosion.

Looks like some fuel-air detonation stuff.

With those sprites i'd say ... bring on the cyberdisks ... now i've got the coolest incendiary present for them :p

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
    • View Profile
Alright, a little magic and some reference to what I personally believe makes a good UFOpedia entry (see Xeno Ops) I have finally developed an adequate M1911 entry, hopefully you find it sufficient!

M1911:

The venerable Colt 1911 is a simple, but brutally effective weapon. Used by both Civilian and Military organizations all around the world, this weapon has built a reputation for its ease of operation, firepower, and ergonomics.  Chambered in .45 ACP rounds and fed by a seven round magazine this sidearm should only be used in auxiliary roles, as its limited ammunition capacity makes it a less-than-stellar primary weapon.

The_Funktasm

Alright, a little magic and some reference to what I personally believe makes a good UFOpedia entry (see Xeno Ops) I have finally developed an adequate M1911 entry, hopefully you find it sufficient!

M1911:

The venerable Colt 1911 is a simple, but brutally effective weapon. Used by both Civilian and Military organizations all around the world, this weapon has built a reputation for its ease of operation, firepower, and ergonomics.  Chambered in .45 ACP rounds and fed by a seven round magazine this sidearm should only be used in auxiliary roles, as its limited ammunition capacity makes it a less-than-stellar primary weapon.

That works pretty well. I'm using a double-stack model of the 1911, but that's a small difference I should've mentioned anyway. I'm not set on the magazine size yet anyway, considering the pistols are all rather similar right now in damage. If I could make damage types I could probably make them stand out more but I know that's not a feature yet. In any case it's definitely sufficient and seems more like a description and less like a vague summary. I just hope it fits in typical UFOPaedia space.

Spoiler:
placeholder I had, if you're interested: "Very common American issued .45 ACP handgun. Named for the year it entered service, it is a common sight among enlisted soldiers, mercenaries, and security forces. This model is compact, but features a double stack eleven round magazine. It is an easy enough to handle weapon."

More explosions. This time an HE-Skull and XSplode1 hybrid for fusion weapons and otherwise distinguishing explosions from eachother.  I decided on a pinkish tinge like a lot of 90's era nukes, like C&C's effect. Part of why I'm making it is because the aliens are getting an early-ish game terror weapon, in the Blaster Seeker. Think blaster bomb meets LAW meets those things from the Phantasm. Essentially a sphere you will toward the enemy as a single use blaster launcher.

M1911:

That works pretty well. I'm using a double-stack model of the 1911, but that's a small difference I should've mentioned anyway. I'm not set on the magazine size yet anyway, considering the pistols are all rather similar right now in damage. If I could make damage types I could probably make them stand out more but I know that's not a feature yet. In any case it's definitely sufficient and seems more like a description and less like a vague summary. I just hope it fits in typical UFOPaedia space. Also thanks. I guess I dropped the ball a bit by not saying so sooner. I appreciate any help. It's under-stated. And I guess I'm out of practice of saying thanks to people.

Spoiler:
placeholder I had, if you're interested: "Very common American issued .45 ACP handgun. Named for the year it entered service, it is a common sight among enlisted soldiers, mercenaries, and security forces. This model is compact, but features a double stack eleven round magazine. It is an easy enough to handle weapon."

More explosions. This time an HE-Skull and XSplode1 hybrid for fusion weapons and otherwise distinguishing explosions from eachother.  I decided on a pinkish tinge like a lot of 90's era nukes, like C&C's effect. Part of why I'm making it is because the aliens are getting an early-ish game terror weapon, in the Blaster Seeker. Think blaster bomb meets LAW meets those things from the Phantasm. Essentially a sphere you will toward the enemy as a single use blaster launcher.

UPDATE:

I finished the game with my mod for the first time. Admittedly during development, hastening a few things. Wow... Majorly unbalanced. I almost want to release it with credits before getting permissions just to fix it faster. I need more missions, some tweaks, stuff like that, before my changes will be remotely fair.

Even on easy...

I will admit, I guess my last mission was a bit different from the one I remember years ago when I last beat the game. This time we had power-armor, rather than power suits. And though lasers figured in, we used miniguns and shotguns, and relied on a missile pack derived from fusion bombs while stalking martian halls with progressive blades, axes, knives and swords. In that sense it was fair. Humans, having enough distinct strata to train and refine warfare despite a species wide monopoly on our planet, have enough of an abstract and yet learned philosophy of warfare to adapt better technology to more focused roles than the enemy, which no doubt rely on pure technological superiority, as well as on a somewhat idiotic reliance on turning us against ourselves, which in XCOM is not as big a deal as it could be.
EDIT:
So I finished the game while developing and testing this. Oh boy... Unbalanced, and even on beginner I can tell...
I'll post the post-mortem of the game from the nightly later. The mod itself runs most effectively on OXCE+ and not nightly due to explosion handling. But still, it's damning. Only five terror sites? Out of like 150 plus crash sites? Finishing the game in a year even with lengthened research times? Finishing the game in less than a week, let alone a month? Egh. I almost need help with this...

I intend to add missions around the concept of nations making alien pacts. Namely missions against these nations, or the most affiliated elements within them.

Another big issue is that I negated alien terror. Despite orbital entries, with current settings I negated their attacks, only having five while my interception was weak enough to allow these events to happen. I messed a bit with saving and loading, but still, I can tell it's too easy, especially by the glass cannon interceptor philosophy.

On top of that, the aliens seemed to just languish for months while I developed method after method to shut them out.

Later I will post screenshots of my post-campaign stats, at least as much as happened while making the mod, and in OXCE+ for the most part, aside from the last two kills. I also have unit history screens for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:39:24 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Game destroyed by mod. Too Easy. - 11/14/16
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 08:26:35 pm »
OH MY GOD!!!
THE M41A!!!
Must have for me. Thank you very much!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »
Been feeling like shit lately.

Here's what I did like a couple weeks ago and never got around to posting for alternate alien weapons.

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 07:45:11 am »
Looking awesome! Keep up the great work!

Sorry to be a bother, but any idea on when or ever if you are going to release these weapons in a compiled mod of some sorts? Any ETA would be appreciated!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 02:56:17 pm »
Looking awesome! Keep up the great work!

Sorry to be a bother, but any idea on when or ever if you are going to release these weapons in a compiled mod of some sorts? Any ETA would be appreciated!

Aside from that the only issue I can think of is that I have a few OXCE type features in for testing. Radius damage of more types than HE, IC, or Stun; non radius damage of usually radius damage types; some little bits of screwing about with weapon stats here and there. Nothing I couldn't patch but it'd take a bit and sacrifice good items.

So I hope to release a WIP or alpha or something at some point within like, I dunno... a month if I'm lucky.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alien Crap on page 2. - 12/12/16
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »
Okay, I have two things to say, one of which a lot of people are doing to dislike.

First off, that new explosion animation looks terrible.  It looks extremely out of place in X-Com's setting, and I don't just mean because it doesn't match the vanilla "skull" explosion, I mean it looks like it doesn't even belong in the game.

Secondly, do you do handobs/floorobs too?  I have been STRUGGLING to get some decent Bigobs/handobs/floorobs for a project and you might be the go-to on them if you're willing to set aside some time and give me a hand.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate will open... someday.
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alien Crap on page 2. - 12/12/16
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »
First off, that new explosion animation looks terrible.  It looks extremely out of place in X-Com's setting, and I don't just mean because it doesn't match the vanilla "skull" explosion, I mean it looks like it doesn't even belong in the game.
Plus one. They are quite pretty, but not fit in here.