Author Topic: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha on page 3 - 1/1/17  (Read 10526 times)

The_Funktasm

Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha-ish thing - 1/1/17
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 12:28:57 am »
Ok, people. Don't expect a balanced mod here. This requires OXCE+ to run correctly (I use 3.3+) so make sure you only test it with that if you want to try it. The sounds work best at a low sample rate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2wsboppxsaazqq/TF-XtremeMeasures.7z?dl=0

Oh, Forgot the credits!

"
Code: [Select]
Borrowed and reused resources:

CODE, ETC:

Skymarshall is based on and modified off of Reaver's Armada Custodian. Name has apparently been thought of before. Here I thought I was original...

Alloy ammo concept based on various mods, referenced from Area 51, AwesomeGuns.

Code snippets repaired and tweaked based on ruleset for Area 51, AwesomeGuns.

SPRITES:

All BigObs based on basic XCOM sprites by MPS, as well as basic sprites from DOOM and DOOM 2 by id software.

-FloorObs and HandObs-

Combat Knife by : Warboy1982

Snubnose modified from base made by: Gifty

Inclusion/modification of Improved HandObs by: IvanGodovich

Minigun Graphics by: Solarius Scorch and Dioxine

Sniper rifle Graphics by: Warboy1982, Toshiaki2115

LMG, assuming they made the Hand/FloorObs: XOps

Just in case, as Area51's credits say "Several Weapons and units taken from his Piratez mod.": Dioxine

SOUNDS:

Various sounds modified from sounds released by Qubodup
https://www.freesound.org/people/qubodup/

Various sounds taken and modified from the following games:

Counter Strike Source: Machine gun sounds, belt portion, and bits of modified sounds.
Quake 2: Some shotgun sounds and bits of modified sounds.
Fallout 1/2/Tactics: Shotgun sounds, rifle sounds, and some modified sounds.
Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun: Plasma energy hum. Rest of plasma sounds made up of fireworks sounds reversed.
The Punisher(capcom): Knife/Machete sound based on this.
Default XCOM: Various weapons sounds and aliens sounds modified off of the originals.
Goldeneye 64: Weapon sounds. If you know what to look for, or listen rather, you may know which ones.
Call Of Duty 2: Weapon sounds. Mosin.
"

Okay, I have two things to say, one of which a lot of people are doing to dislike.

First off, that new explosion animation looks terrible.  It looks extremely out of place in X-Com's setting, and I don't just mean because it doesn't match the vanilla "skull" explosion, I mean it looks like it doesn't even belong in the game.

Secondly, do you do handobs/floorobs too?  I have been STRUGGLING to get some decent Bigobs/handobs/floorobs for a project and you might be the go-to on them if you're willing to set aside some time and give me a hand.

I am not in a mood or situation to really invest much time at once into any projects. I just kind of do what I can when I can do it. I will say though that on a provisional basis you can send me assets to either improve as I get to them, or render as other forms of graphics like handobs/floorobs as I have time to do so.

On the explosion, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I got really tired of the explosion sprite after a few missions to secure crashed planes. It's so obviously a skull that the only remaining benefit of how it's made is better layering, IMO. So I went with the Duke Nukem one for its generic Nuke-like, "america fuck-yeah" cheap explosion effect quality.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:48:59 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha on page 3 - 1/1/17
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »
It's cool, I know people have a life outside of the net, so no hard feelings!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 09:47:24 am »
It's cool, I know people have a life outside of the net, so no hard feelings!

If it helps, I can possibly do stuff on a "let me see what I can do" basis. "Dedicated team member or artist" I can't do right now. I'm too depressed. Yeah, I know. To depressed to draw cheap pixely guns. But it's the truth. I don't really do well at keeping up on any of my hobbies or projects. Like if it makes sense, though I'm perfectly willing to do a sprite favor every now and then, I have like five other projects in other games I'm working on. Ironically one on the back-burner is a ZDoom project based on XCom.

Like let me know here, or in PM what kind of sprites you need and I'll see what I can do when I can do stuff. I mean I can't guarantee the same speed as I did then, but when I was really starting to sprite XCom weapons, most of them were made in one week, so I clearly can at least try... I'll have the decency to give you a new timeframe if I can't get anything even nearly soon.

I know it isn't like a good dedicated agreement to make resources but I hope at least something about that offer works.

Also to everyone else, I'd like to know if you have at least poked around in the mod I uploaded. No, I mean it. You could have even opened it just to peek and not play it and I would want to know at least what you thought.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 10:15:31 pm »
Don't be anyone's slave artist, do only what you enjoy! Requests can be inspiring for an artist, but if you don't feel like it, fuck'em. And if they insist, ask for a monetary compensation :)

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:09 am »
Don't be anyone's slave artist, do only what you enjoy! Requests can be inspiring for an artist, but if you don't feel like it, fuck'em. And if they insist, ask for a monetary compensation :)

I'm happy to take "no" for an answer, Dioxine.  I'd never force an artist to do work for me... what satisfaction is there when the artist isn't happy?

The_Funktasm

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 04:59:56 pm »
Yeah, it's less that I don't want to, as I like to help people with sprites. It's good inspiration sometimes. It's more though that I'm too depressed and inconsistent to really be effective for like, a position as a spriter for a project. I can do one or two just fine so long as I can do them on my own time.

Also I don't know when I might be able to release a more general release of this mod. In any case it'd be nice to hear at least something about it. I mean it occupied at least a month or two of good time to playtest to the end...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:10:24 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 09:40:29 pm »
I actually think the explosion sprite works better than the previous one, the rich colors really work well with X-Com's diverse color palette, and after a bit of fine-tuning I can see it becoming a replacement for the default sprite.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 02:51:02 pm »
I played this mod for a bit. I think there's too many weapons to pick from, but it's fun. I ran a terror site and some other missions. Overall I'd say the guns in this mod are a fair bit more powerful than the starter guns in vanilla. The tanks are straight-up OP. And interception is a bit harder but not too bad.

Given the low price and overall lack of drawbacks, there's pretty much no reason not to switch immediately from Skyranger to Skymarshall, especially considering how OP the tanks are. The Skymarshall is much better at carrying tanks inside.

The_Funktasm

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 04:42:56 am »
I will definitely agree it's unbalanced. I feel kind of like aside from balance the main point of my mod is that humans are a bad group to invade since they turn any technological advantage into their own over time. Sorry to all that I've been offline for so long.

Also I was hard-pressed on whether to nerf tanks or not. I figured overpowered they could be the double edged sword that lets people clear aliens out of terrorzones and other spots in the quickest and dirtiest way possible. There's also the whole thing that each tank at a later point could be four power-armored lunatics with shotguns and machetes. Or even miniguns and LAWs. At least as far as space usage. (I'll totally admit parts of my mod are for both revenge, and the concept that at some point that tech will come into play against TFTD aliens. Maybe that's a good idea for later. Link what I have to a TFTD mod where the player feels over prepared but is in fact under prepared.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:27:05 am by The_Funktasm »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 09:40:51 am »
Welcome back, Funktasm ^^

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
Also I was hard-pressed on whether to nerf tanks or not. I figured overpowered they could be the double edged sword that lets people clear aliens out of terrorzones and other spots in the quickest and dirtiest way possible. There's also the whole thing that each tank at a later point could be four power-armored lunatics with shotguns and machetes. Or even miniguns and LAWs. At least as far as space usage.
Why not have both, but on separate tanks? You could have one really durable tank that doesn't hit very hard, and a slammer tank that smashes the enemy but isn't so tough. Or some other trade-off like that.

When you have power armor on your soldiers, you would ideally have better tanks, such as hovertanks. That way you can make your soldiers stronger without making your tanks useless. In my mod I upgraded the laser tank to have armor between the basic tanks and the hovertanks, and I gave it a bit more speed also.

niculinux

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 09:43:35 am »
INteresting, added it here! How about to put it along the sprites (like these)  in the first thread page, and a detailed changelog? Also, some sprites are not shown, as the ones in the secon page  :'(

Current version is labelled 0.5 And in the end, some starting game screenshots!

Edit: I wonder if it may be conpatible with Area 51?
Edit 2: Removed duplicated screenshot
Edit 3: some inventroy sprites, like magaznes and HE grenade, semms to be offset, nedd fixing for the next (eventual) version :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:58:16 pm by niculinux »

The_Funktasm

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 11:22:55 am »
Hey all. I've been playing OXC again, with this mod. Thinking of patching a few things, retesting it, and then moving onto a TFTD mod.

Kinda want to inject some William Gibson-esque Cyberpunk (no, not like the game from the transphobic devs, the actual genre) aesthetic into it. I get and like the retro sci-fi feel it has but with the difficulty and my general spriting style I think 80's/90's anime and cyberpunk style will make a good replacement.

When I have a sheet of some mockup equipment/weapons I will post them here. For now, a snippet of an old design file I plan on following as best I can:

PLANNING PHASE:

Abstract Goals: Complete Overhaul of TFTD, bringing difficulty through more initial variety and changed alien weaponry. Old friends from the previous mod and new fictional futuristic weaponry to go with it.
Starting difficulty overhaul that focuses on actually hitting the enemy and being smart rather than dying from weird not-really realistic alien attacks.

Restructure: A golden-age tarnished after the depletion of world elerium reserves. With the remainder locked away by first the COFN, and then their successors,

Alien Goals: All Aliens have melee or melee weapons. This means contact with any alien is dangerous.

Weapon Goals: Diverse Sci-fi inspired arms and equipment. Underwater-based weaponry, and Alien Disrupter weapons. Explosions kill through hydroshock, making all explosives a bigger deal.
Strange hybrid weapon classes that are hard to utilize among easier to use but somewhat lacking standard weaponry.

A who's-who would include dart/flechette weapons, torpedoes, harpoons both CO2 and rail/gauss assisted, explosive tipped harpoons, bang sticks,
mining tools, spec-ops weapons of current times, and the best of oshii's sci-fi weapons. Some really old but economical and heavy stuff should exist
like the return of the M2, usable from the beginning this time.

ex:

Steyr Hand-Fletcher - 14 round handgun class flechette weapon.

Civilian Harpoon Gun - 1 round rifle class harpoon gun. multiple payload types. Varies in size, accuracy.

Xyrinx Side-kick Stub - 7 round mini-shotgun.

AP Fletcher - 40 rounds of 3x30 damage, fired like a fast SMG.

Krieger 20/4 - 4 round 20mm Grenade Pistol. Lower yield but better aim, safer.

Krieger Kurz HV Millenium - 16 round High-Velocity 10mm Combat Pistol, old by TFTD Standards. Superior in many ways to classic XM guns.

Krieger KMP-HV Millenium - 32 round High-Velocity SMG, old by TFTD Standards. Not accurate so much as powerful.

Krieger KMP-K-HV Millenium - 32 round High-Velocity Machine Pistol, old by TFTD Standards. Not accurate so much as powerful.

Krieger KG-14 5.56x45 - 30 round compact assault rifle with GL and SAW variants. Accurate.

Krieger K-M12 - Semi-auto mini-shotgun with high capacity and ease of use.

Krieger Scout - Semi-auto Hybrid AR and Sniper rifle.

Gavarin Gun - 45 round cheap to reload 5.45x39 multi-barrel AR/SAW.

M48 Smart-Gun - 100 round high-accuracy MG with good damage but high weight. Ten-round bursts, not unlike a minigun.
A51 Battle Rifle - 50 round high-capacity space marine rifle. High quality but incredibly costly.

Also balancing questions: What's missing from Xcom's arsenal? More importantly, how do I strengthen aliens without overpowering them? How might I add specialty units? (I have wondered at plasma pistol/alloy sword muton terror units)

The_Funktasm

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:00 am »
So I figured I'd have to get the palette down if I want to make anything for TFTD.

I decided to test a few color combos on my laser weapons and see how they'd look.

Then I decided to do it classic TFTD gaudy and supersoaker-esque.

The palette really is different, and hard to work with for uniforms especially...

Also I did end up doing a few mockup TFTD weapons.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:25:25 pm by The_Funktasm »

The_Funktasm

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 02:30:40 pm »
I've been doing really slowly at modding overall but I'm releasing an updated version of my mod this week.

Here's a limited use set of sprites for now: An xcom hybrid and a guy that we know had to do it to the aliens (with characteristic posture).