Author Topic: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha on page 3 - 1/1/17  (Read 11188 times)

The_Funktasm

The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Alpha on page 3 - 1/1/17
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:02:45 am »
Feel free to use these sprites as long as you use credit where it's due and aren't an overt jerk to me.

I am pretty familiar with XCOM, and to a lesser extent modding it. (When I was little there were these programs that were installed on the computer for editing various things, with strange MS-Paint level graphics for splash screens and a frame around the program. I recall a super simple few weapon and equipment editors, and a full blown base/storage/soldier editor with a GUI showing various parts of your base, but I digress, just curious if anyone had the same programs...)

But graphically I'm completely unfamiliar with modding XCOM, though I'm pretty good at spriting in general and do it for Zdoom projects.

To start with, here's a sheet in progress of a bunch of weapons that I have in various levels of scale. I'm pretty sure I'll need to use rotsprite to get them looking better and at a more proper scale, to say nothing of palette.

I'm aware it's messy, but I'm kind of working on it as I go along.
If anyone could spare any links or resources for getting graphics game-ready, I have a mod I'd like to do using some of these, at least in a modified form.

Also, first post. Hoping this will be a better community for me than some others I've tried.

Spoiler:
If you look and squint, you can see an (IMI: Uzi Family[Micro, Mini, Stock], Desert Eagle) (H&K: MP5, MP5K, MP5SD, G3, HK53,PSG1, G11 Caseless AR, and single shot GL) (Steyr: AUG, TMP/silenced) (Colt: 1911, M16, M4, Carbine, Python) (FN: FAL[partial]) (Russian/Ismash?: SVD, AKS-74u, AK-74, PM, PMM) (One-Offs: Scorpion Machine Pistol, Ingram M10/silenced, Glock 17/18, Ruger LCP, S&W .38 +P Snubnose, FABARM, Franchi SPAS-12, Pancor Jackhammer, Pulse Rifle from Aliens, USAS-12, Sawn-Off Shotgun, Short Pump Shotgun [Winc. 1300 or Rem. 870], Armsel/Protecta Assault Shotgun, African GL from MGS4, Dan Wesson PPC, Remington 700? Sniper Rifle, More) Also see my Xcom Advanced Caseless Bullpup series, and my two attempts at laser weapons.

Edit: Added small sheet of scaled sprites. Added link to Rotsprite Tool.  Also it took me ages on my crappy 56k connection to get registered and everything.
EDIT 2&1/2: Added my attempt at a classic style rifle/shotgun/carbine/smg/more tree, the start of a broader laser family, some rocket/grenade launchers, and a few equipment pieces.

EDIT 3&1/2: Updated a lot of shit... again.

Current Full Sheet, now with names:

New Alien (sting/manta)Ray guns.

TFTD-esque energy weapon family:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:29:44 am by The_Funktasm »

The_Funktasm

XTREME MEASURES: WIP XCOM mod
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:28:11 am »
My mod is going well at the moment. Now I have to get some research stuff squared away. Aside from that and figuring out the order of my various new items I've gotten to a smoother and less irritating spot in development. It was damn hard at first...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:24:01 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Hugh-Jazz Sprite Pile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:36 pm »
Welcome to the forums!  You can use any image editor that supports creating indexed images to make resources for OXC. This thread contains some information on using palettes for GIMP/Photoshop.  I personally use GIMP, having made a template with the correct palette and size for weapon sprites - I'll upload a sample weapon inventory image in a bit if you want to take a look.  You could also look at some mega-mods like FMP, Area 51, Xeno Ops, and Piratez for plenty of examples of modded sprites.  Other useful tools to look for are MCD Edit and Falko's modding tools, check on this board for some links to them.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:55:33 pm »
It's an  interesting collection, but most objects are the wrong size. ;) Bigob size is 32x48, and many of your guns are bigger. It's already something, but they would have to be resized to be useful. And of the ones that do fit, many seem just too big visually, for example an ordinary assault rifle which fills the entire window looks unnatural. So, scaling is needed.

Also, your weapons look rather flat, since they are mostly shaded with a gradient. It works well for Doom, where it's expected to scale with distance, but in X-Com the graphics are static, so they beg for a more realistic detail. I don't mean anything elaborate, but more shading would be nice.

But it's a very interesting starting collection, it shows promise! I might steal a thing or two from it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:10:13 pm »
Here, if you use GIMP, this is a template for creating the BIGOBS sprites for the inventory images.  It should have the correct Battlescape palette attached, and there's a layer for the grid for inventory item sizes.  I've also attached a sample weapon sprite that I've been working on - I export as a .png (.gif also works) file with only the top layer visible, and that creates the proper file for use in OXC.

The_Funktasm

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:24:17 pm »
It's an  interesting collection, but most objects are the wrong size. ;) Bigob size is 32x48, and many of your guns are bigger. It's already something, but they would have to be resized to be useful. And of the ones that do fit, many seem just too big visually, for example an ordinary assault rifle which fills the entire window looks unnatural. So, scaling is needed.

Also, your weapons look rather flat, since they are mostly shaded with a gradient. It works well for Doom, where it's expected to scale with distance, but in X-Com the graphics are static, so they beg for a more realistic detail. I don't mean anything elaborate, but more shading would be nice.

But it's a very interesting starting collection, it shows promise! I might steal a thing or two from it.

I figured it'd be easiest to go light on detail until I've shrunken my sprites down to around the size I need. I can kind of see what you mean as far as the scaling too. It's a shame we can't scale graphics down in-game since actually scaling them down will mean I'll have to make sacrifices of specific recognizable details. I think the AKs and SPAS I scaled are a good example of how that can go. While they look ok, they aren't quite as recognizable.

Here, if you use GIMP, this is a template for creating the BIGOBS sprites for the inventory images.  It should have the correct Battlescape palette attached, and there's a layer for the grid for inventory item sizes.  I've also attached a sample weapon sprite that I've been working on - I export as a .png (.gif also works) file with only the top layer visible, and that creates the proper file for use in OXC.

Thanks for the templates and resources.

I've been looking around and acquiring some of the various editors I'll need. I'm planning on making an initially simple mod to broaden the weaponry choices for not only Soldiers, but also Crafts, Bases and Aliens.

An important element will be greater choice among purchasable weaponry, though often one of economy or utility versus raw quality. Say for example AK pattern weapons bought for cheap from a country that was getting rid of them anyway, or more expensive made to order weapons. Stuff that when taken into account can lead to a cheapskate game where a second base being built the first month is actually practical, or alternatively can lead to the entire budget being spent in the first month in an attempt to cover any possible situation with almost too good of equipment for barely trained infantry.

I also would like to revamp and expand the HWPs to fit more realistic and obvious roles than they do in vanilla. I'm willing to wait on graphics for the HWPs since I know it'll be a bit involved. Same thing with craft weapons, because I have to actually extract some of the proper resources to tweak before I can much with them.
Mainly I want them to have more clearly labeled weapons. In real life the "cannon" would probably be around 20mm considering it's not the size of a full tank. As cool as a 20mm cannon is though, it's explosive so there would need to be yet more variants to cover the requirements for a non-explosive weapon platform.
Since it's a tank, and pretty heavy weapons fit better, I guess .50 BMG would be a good fit for one, with good accuracy and damage, but costly burst. Similarly, I think a machinegun HWP would be a fair idea. An inaccurate, rather dangerous, quasi-shotgun of a machine gun with somewhat weak bullets but a long suppressive fire burst.

As far as the other explosive HWPs I would make a heavier "Rocket" HWP with medium aircraft scale rockets, and a lighter "Missile" HWP with small, soldier scale waypoint rockets.

I have to wonder though if there might be some way to have a HWP use clips, like with an inventory somehow, so that the same HWP could fire IC, HE, or AP ammo at will like a lot of real autocannon systems?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:43:23 am by The_Funktasm »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:54:34 pm »
For the HWP stuff, you can actually make an armor type for a soldier that is a 2x2 unit with a built-in weapon for the turret, which you could load with special ammunition types.  It's a bit kludgy and would need a lot of tweaking though.

The_Funktasm

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:20:56 am »
For the HWP stuff, you can actually make an armor type for a soldier that is a 2x2 unit with a built-in weapon for the turret, which you could load with special ammunition types.  It's a bit kludgy and would need a lot of tweaking though.

Sounds interesting, but I think I'm tempted to just fine tune each HWP to make it worthwhile in its own right even without ammo types to simplify any quirks that might cause. A good start might be to have lighter parts for quick 1 hour conversion of the same HWP in "living" and broken states into a new functional one. Not sure if that would work or not.

I also think the aliens need an armory expansion to reflect their disregard of common human morality. I'm thinking poison gas, arcing explosive plasma shots, and occasional bombs planted in their units as a discovery countermeasure. Granted, I think XCOM should have some of the same options.

EDIT: Added a better scaled XCOM derived weapon family, and some equipment to first post, and even here through the magic of image hosting.

I think the new X-Fausts are some of my favorites even if they're cheap and sketchy as hell.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:19:52 pm by The_Funktasm »

The_Funktasm

Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Still On a Spriting roll - 10/24/16
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:30:28 pm »
So I've updated my main post with a lot of stuff lately and felt it was worth a new post to ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Any changes, or new weapons I should do? There are a few limitations, sadly... I wasn't able to do a scorpion smg in this sprite scale for one, or a PPK. Aside from really small stuff or stuff that requires super fine detail to identify a lot of stuff would work fine, I bet.

And as a modding question, would a flamethrower having a realistic weight of about a TFTD human body make it completely unworthy of using with a realistic fuel capacity, but also realistic range, arc, and spreading projectiles, at least within XCom engine limitations? Realistic fuel capacity meaning that you empty it in around ten-twenty seconds of TU equivalent.  Granted since I intend it for clearing foliage around the ship and as a trainer for an alien tech variant, it's sort of intended to empty and then drop in favor of Skyranger ramp weapons, and to mostly just set a whole lot on fire at once without relying on like an auto-shot or two's worth per turn.

I suppose it'd also be useful with power suits researched since I'm planning on having them boost strength, and they're flame resistant to begin with.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:39:59 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 06:46:33 pm »
So I've updated my main post with a lot of stuff lately and felt it was worth a new post to ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Yeah, like I said before in the PM, I really like your collection and would like to see some more!

Any changes, or new weapons I should do? There are a few limitations, sadly... I wasn't able to do a scorpion smg in this sprite scale for one, or a PPK. Aside from really small stuff or stuff that requires super fine detail to identify a lot of stuff would work fine, I bet.

Are you more interested in making real-life weapons, or sci-fi weapons?
As a modder, I have to say that real life weapons are very useful, but for me it's more of a "I have a sprite for Glock 17, so I'm adding Glock 17 to the mod if it makes sense" rather than "I want a Glock 17, I just need a sprite". That's because so freakishly many real weapon models exist that I usually find it hard to decide if I need a Barett, or maybe a Galil, because often it doesn't really matter (unless I'm making a very specific faction). Sci-fi weapons on the other hand are more of a hit-and-miss, since I do need them but also there is a large collection to choose from already.
I'm not very concise here... My point is, both categories are potentially welcome, but for different reasons.

And as a modding question, would a flamethrower having a realistic weight of about a TFTD human body make it completely unworthy of using with a realistic fuel capacity, but also realistic range, arc, and spreading projectiles, at least within XCom engine limitations?

You mean a male civilian TFTD corpse (weight 30) or female civilian (weight 50)? :P
But seriously, weight 30 or 35 (like most human corpses) seems fine. Real weight to X-Com weight isn't 1:1, but some sort of logarithmic equation (so three items with weight 3 would be lighter in real life than an item with weight 9).

Realistic fuel capacity meaning that you empty it in around ten-twenty seconds of TU equivalent.

Which is...?

I suppose it'd also be useful with power suits researched since I'm planning on having them boost strength, and they're flame resistant to begin with.

Boosting strength will also give them huge throwing capabilities, I'm not sure you want this. If not, I suggest you give them negative weight instead, so only their carrying capacity gets increased.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:47:38 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:56:49 pm »
Checkered-pattern orky rockets? Yummy!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »
Yeah, like I said before in the PM, I really like your collection and would like to see some more!

Are you more interested in making real-life weapons, or sci-fi weapons?
As a modder, I have to say that real life weapons are very useful, but for me it's more of a "I have a sprite for Glock 17, so I'm adding Glock 17 to the mod if it makes sense" rather than "I want a Glock 17, I just need a sprite". That's because so freakishly many real weapon models exist that I usually find it hard to decide if I need a Barett, or maybe a Galil, because often it doesn't really matter (unless I'm making a very specific faction). Sci-fi weapons on the other hand are more of a hit-and-miss, since I do need them but also there is a large collection to choose from already.
I'm not very concise here... My point is, both categories are potentially welcome, but for different reasons.

You mean a male civilian TFTD corpse (weight 30) or female civilian (weight 50)? :P
But seriously, weight 30 or 35 (like most human corpses) seems fine. Real weight to X-Com weight isn't 1:1, but some sort of logarithmic equation (so three items with weight 3 would be lighter in real life than an item with weight 9).

Which is...?

Boosting strength will also give them huge throwing capabilities, I'm not sure you want this. If not, I suggest you give them negative weight instead, so only their carrying capacity gets increased.

Good to know about boosting strength. I've heard of the limitations of the game engine as far as allowing max-strength throws, so that negative weight thing seems fair. I figure the weight of 35 points because while it's less than a person's weight, it's not as pressing as a body to reclaim, and it involves an unbalanced, sloshing tank of fuel. Ideally it should fatigue a simple squaddie to carry around such a weapon.

As far as the TU equivelant, I think the weapon would be emptied in a turn and a half to two turns of theoretical pure full auto fire without any other actions made. Perhaps three? It's hard to tell when a soldier can sometimes walk/jog all the way around from the rear of the skyranger down around to about the front in a single turn. That could be either five seconds, or thirty. But considering the aiming and the burst count for an average weapon, it'd likely be more in the region of eight to 15 or so. So I'm not certain. In any case it'll be frightening to see from a flying enemy.

On the subject of what I want to make, I want to make resources for both a mod of my own, and other people's mods, but enough that I have a nice broad choice from them for each class of weapons I want to include. As far as sci-fi weapons go, lasers seem to work in the scale and style, but the rest are a little harder to work with. Alien stuff especially. I want to do more movie style sci-fi weapons like some of the recognizable ones from "Aliens", and singular examples like the railgun from "Eraser."

It also might be interesting to visually re-imagine parts of XCOM to be more like a JRPG or 80's-90's anime. Like perhaps taking a page out of Appleseed's book and combining the power suit helmet with the default XCOM coverall sprites to make cyborgs. Using appropriate sound effects for weapons and aliens, etc.

EDIT: Did some prog-knives. They're on the first post. Impending "everything I've done" sheet after my mod slows down on requiring my time as much.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:36:44 pm by The_Funktasm »

The_Funktasm

Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Progressive Knives! - 11/02/16
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:14:40 am »
So my mod is coming along well but I can already tell it's making the game easier, even with what I've made harder.
Spoiler:
Interception, namely, as I've turned the basic interceptor into a glass cannon that needs to be used in numbers but can destroy a terror ship with a lucky combo of weapons on around three interceptors, or two if one has time to reload (which realistic or not, I have weapons and fuel reloaded on average in the span of two hours, more for more complicated or energy weapons. To compensate, these planes are 1.5 mil each with cheaper fees, and the munitions fired by craft are incredibly expensive compared to vanilla. On the order of paying HWP prices for missiles every air-combat heavy month. Or more.

So I want to increase the chances of the aliens without doing too much. Stuff like making some of the lamer late-game aliens better, and aliens in general numerous like TFTD, in maybe not mixed race crews of the usual sort, but well picked combos of aliens that work just too well together in the later game. For example, dealing with weak Psionics AND zombies. Or seeing the sectopod and cyberdisc used far more universally. I had also thought about making an alternate Chryssalid and zombie, where the aliens have made a variant where rather than eggs, there are bombs in the Chryssalid that explode upon its death, and that of any zombie it makes.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your ideas on this. If it helps, things are easier because of more available weaponry, and more accurate weaponry being available. I'm working my way up from beginner testing this mod, and I've already gotten an alloy round assisted no-casualty terror mission, and I'm not exactly the best player at this game.

I'll also take ideas on alien armory expansion. Thinking about giving them more terror-oriented weapons as opposed to something XCOM even can utilize well outside of UFO landings/crashes. Plasma mortars, waypoint plasma, etc. I figure that even as advanced as they are, the aliens are kind of into crude weaponry since for all their technology, their grenade might as well just be a time-bomb you can throw. (as opposed to a more compact and focused explosion that guarantees user safety, or even a plasma grenade)

Also I figure I'll have a test version out once I've got some of the relevant permissions I'd need. I have to look up a few credits pages in a few mods, since I've borrowed a few handobs and floorobs. I could always just make my own new ones off of the originals from the game but the LMG and AK that were used in Area 51 have been perfect as bases to make my AK variants and PKM.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:17:28 am by The_Funktasm »

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Time to get some input - 11/07/16
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:14 am »
Wait, is there a download for these sprites yet? If not, keep up the good work, these are looking amazing! They are triggering some nostalgia from when I first found custom-weapon mods. If you are looking for anyone to write some description on the weapons (like a small summary) I can handle myself pretty well with modern-munition knowledge, not to mention decent at making up some sci-fi mumbo-jumbo to describe a laser. If you are at all interested please let me know, I would love to help in any way I can!

Edit: I see that you are looking for an adequate name for the RPO, and I would suggest using the name RPO Rys, an older cousin to the RPO-A "Schmel," but the model you have most closely relates to the older Rys, at least in my opinion. Here, have a looksie yourself:
https://www.military-today.com/firearms/rpo_rys.jpg
(This one doesn't have a scope, but they do come with those. Although if you are looking for simplicity, RPO is accurate enough)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:29:55 am by The Think Tank »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia: Time to get some input - 11/07/16
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 07:19:14 pm »
Some very nice work here!  :D  Quite the nice human arsenal. :)   
Question: Did you get them paletted into Xcom's palette? 
Also, one consideration:  HandObs and Floor Obs. Have you worked any of these up?  (These are shorter, 32X40, vs the 32X48 of BigObs. Just FYI, not sure if you are up on that stuff).