Author Topic: Yarr! I be needin' a Pirate Crew  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Yarr! I be needin' a Pirate Crew
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:38 pm »
Well, it's been about a week since we finished our TFTD playthrough and I'm getting ready to start our Piratez stream.

If you'd like to hop on board, all I need is a pirate name and whether or not you want to use the cloning system we developed in TFTD: (Death incurs heavy wounds and stat loss, but you keep your original girl).

I don't want to spam up the forums, so this will be the only post for the stream.   

X-Piratez #0 - Ye 'ave been shanghaid!

The streams are weekdays at or around noon CDT, archives always available on youtube.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:13:42 am by Starving Poet »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Yarr! I be needin' a Pirate Crew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:53:46 pm »
Link doesn't work.

"Merry Diane" if the name is OK, if not then "Blind Parakeet", if not then "Quince Jelly" :)

What does heavy wounds and stat loss mean exactly? If it's worse than getting a rookie, then I'd rather start as a rookie after death.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:57 am »
Link fixed.

As far as heavy wounds and stat loss:

Stat Loss:  You can never go below your starting stats but you lose 40% of your gained stats.

Wounds are based on stats recovered - minimum two weeks in the sick bay to a maximum of six weeks.   

These were all tweaked for a vanilla TFTD run, so the specifics will probably evolve if we do decide to use clones.

One great suggestion that came up at the end of TFTD was to have people will a certain number of clones have a chance to negatively affect the morale of people next to them to simulate their... inhuman... nature.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:36:58 am »
OK, so if I get a 25+ starting strength gal, I'd like to be cloned after death.
Otherwise, let's forget her for eternity and roll a new swabbie.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 05:14:24 am »
Hello, Poet!

I see. I guess I'll have to abandon watching the TFTD playthrough, for the time being.
Thinking for the moment that this will be more entertaining. We'll see how accurate that prediction is.

I volunteer to being one of the gals kicking the buck...eh... kicking ass, I mean.    ;D

I'm not so good with pirate-names, but if it is accepted I'd go for "Careening Carrie" this time. If that sounds to lame, I can always be "Petra Plankwalker."

And about the "resurrections": I don't really mind if I have to start from a fresh rookie, or if I get to keep some stats. Just do what is easier to keep the game running without too much hassle.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 05:48:31 am »
Honestly, once we got everyone in Mag Iron armor, we just sort of ground our way through TFTD.

If you haven't watched one of the alien base assaults yet, I'd watch the second one - one supply ship run to fill in for the week or two where there was nothing to do but farm supply ships, then the first two levels of T'leth and the last 15 minutes of the third floor.  :)  Just randomly imagine LeChuck dying all the time and that should pretty much cover it!

Whether you want to be cloned or not is entirely up to you - all it takes is putting a little tag in your name and you can be kept a pureblood human mutant.  I feel like the choice between the two is pretty balanced with the time you spend in the sickbay if you're cloned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:50:51 am by Starving Poet »

Offline Cerazor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:16:57 am »
Yarrrr. I saw your advertisement sayin' ya want some more crew? We'll Iron Jane is at yer service.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 02:28:01 pm »
Grogged-Up Brynhild, at your service!

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »
Aye sign me up.

Just call me "One Eye Rice".

I don't mind how I come back to life again when i die.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
Whether you want to be cloned or not is entirely up to you - all it takes is putting a little tag in your name and you can be kept a pureblood human mutant.  I feel like the choice between the two is pretty balanced with the time you spend in the sickbay if you're cloned.

OK. I presume you're running a script (hope that's the correct name for it, I know nothing of programming) on the X-Piratez savegames that will clone recently deceased gals, unless marked with a "no-clone" tag?

In that case, cloning it is. Since it's such a quick procedure   8)

How long delay from streaming until the video is up on YouTube?

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:24:08 pm »
Last year, I had written some code for myself that I thought LPers might like. The code would choose a soldier name, then scan the list of dead soldiers to see if that soldier name had already been picked; if so, it added the "I"s at the end of the name. So if you replaced your soldier names list with a list of viewers, as viewers died, the next batch of recruits would bear their names but with IIs. If you have more soldiers than you do names, the soldier would be named "Faceless Henchman"; you should never have an instance of Shoes and Shoes II being on your roster. Faceless Henchman is hardcoded as a little hack, but it could be easily changed to something pirate related before being compiled.

The code is found here: https://github.com/Shoes01/OpenXcom/tree/dupe-names

The commit with the actual change is all here: https://github.com/Shoes01/OpenXcom/commit/090fbcdea9cd28105d69ad0123ab6ae02010ce84

edit: As would be the case, now that I am rereading my old code, I think I found a bug. Line 2210, length()-5 should be length()-2 to remove the two VVs and put an X. There might be other bugs :x
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:36:31 pm by Shoes »

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »
Aye, mine is pretty similar, except it runs externally since I had to write a CLI script so my streams could have a kill counter overlay.  That and I've never learned C++ :)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »
I'm in.

"Stabby Rock Sis" is my handle.

Like Meridian, if she has Strength 25+ please sign me up for cloneing, otherwise just a swabbie will do when she dies.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:02:13 pm »
Sounds good!  And @Kjotleik - YT is one of my stream locations, so it's available immediately.