Author Topic: TFTD craft in UFO / Craft Recovery Question  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
TFTD craft in UFO / Craft Recovery Question
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:44 pm »
Hi,

I did Google this but could find a response that I can understand.

1. Is it possible to use the TFTD resources of crafts in the fist game? I imagine that they would need to be recoloured the originals pallette.
2. Where is the inventory stored of alien craft that is detailed on the recovery? I want to edit the load outs I.e. Number of power sources, navigation as I'd like.  Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

SQ

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD craft in UFO / Craft Recovery Question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:34:50 pm »
You sure can re-use resources from TFTD by modding them into the first game, it would take some messing around with the extraSprites ruleset, and the images would automatically be drawn with the first game's palette since the images are indexed, they'd probably look a little weird though.  It might be easier to look around for rips of the images to import using extraSprites, and ask around about the battlescape tiles / maps - those have definitely made it into mods on the first game.

The items you recover are actually part of the terrain - for example, the UFO power sources you see on the map count as an item during recovery.  One way to add more items to a UFO is to edit the map and just add in more power sources!  It'll just not be pretty when they blow after shooting them down.
It's not used in the ruleset for the vanilla game, but you can use the map blocks data in a UFO's definition to place items on the ground that can be picked up during the mission or recovered afterwards - see here, and the file you'd want to make a copy of for the mod would be openxcom/standard/xcom1/ufos.rul.  If you want to see it in action, the mod Piratez makes extensive use of this feature.  The issue with this method is that the type of item that is in your stores after recovery for UFO power sources/navigation is not the type that you see in the battlescape - you'd have to make a second item that gets recovered as the first type after the mission in order to use this feature.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:07:53 am »
Thank you for your post, I'm still a bit perplexed by the whole way crafts are rendered so I might park this part of my mod until I understand what is going on lol.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:27:07 am »
So I've been mulling over this some more and I think I'm beginning to understand.

Basically the components for the custom craft do not have to be implemented within a PCK file and a spritesheet could be used (similar to the ones for armour sheets) that contain all of the components used in craft.  This is then referenced in the .rul setup as a PCK file.  Am I on the right line?

.... After more research I think I am getting somewhere in the files have been loaded into MapView and I may be able to recreate the layout of the Leviathan / Triton. Or at least I would if the bloody software didn't crash all the time :(

I will persist with this lol ... anyone who can point me in further guidance would be appreciated! especially those of you who have been talented enough to make your own maps, ship layouts!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:33:05 am by SideQuests »