aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] [HWP] ED-209 - Working but lacks walking animation  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[WIP] [HWP] ED-209 - Working but lacks walking animation
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:10 am »
So first post here :)

Been watching watching lots of let's plays on OpenXcom and thought I'd get involved as have so many ideas for mods but wanted a fairly easy one to start off with.

I watched Robocop recently (the 80's) one and after seeing ED-209 I thought how similar he was to a sectopod and bam it hit me wouldn't it be cool if he was in Xcom.  I played around with the Sectopod HWP mod by Harry (https://www.openxcom.com/mod/sectopod-hwp) and managed to change the name of the unit and get everything working in the battlescape from a functional perspective.  I changed the weapon to Cannon to reflect the one he had in the film.

I've also played around with the sound files using this youtube sfx video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0hIBfS5Ts) and its okay but not perfect, the unit is also completely unbalanced for use in the game at the moment as testing it in the battle simulator thing it owned everything lol.

I'd love to get the sprite up together but not much of an artist so may attempt a recolour instead once I get my head around sprite modding.

I'm also looking at the PC game of Robocop to see if I can rip some better sounds to use.

Anyone who wants to help totally welcome to!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:31:47 am by SideQuests »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WIP] [HWP] ED-209 :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
Congratulations on your first steps on the modding path!

If you have any specific questions or problems, please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:29:44 am »
Thank you!

Guess I should have searched the forum as I've seen someone else started a mod with the same idea! Fox105iwsp if you still post here I'd like to revive your work and see I can get something off the ground.

Failing that I may just commission someone to do the pixelart lol

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

Quick questions:

1) When adding new resources is it wise to use a number ID system for each resource for example I could state that 3 sounds I'm using are 301: Wav1.wav, 302: Wav2.wav, 303: Wav3.wav and then say for a UFOpaedia article I could then go to 304: IMG1.png.  If I then worked on another mod I could start that at 401?

2) If a sound and an image say have the same numerical ID would this case problems? Or does it not matter since the separate named .PCK defines this?

3) Does it matter what order the specific parts of each section of a ruleset are presented in (after defining the type) or could I order them alphabetically for ease of reference?

Thanks in advance for the noob questions!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:16:41 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:16:37 am »
The numbering systems are separate for each kind of resource, and are automatically separated by mod too - that is, ufopaedia image 301 for mod #1 is kept separate from ufopaedia image 301 for mod #2, and both are separate from handob image 301 for either mod.  I think this is done by adding 1000 under the hood for each additional mod, so you can number up to 999 without any potential overlap issues.  Just be aware that some types of resources take more than just one number, like a set of handobs for an item is one image split into 8 for each unit facing.  Also remember that the vanilla xcom resources take up some of the numbers too!

Ruleset order does matter for how items / entries are ordered in the game, with mods coming after vanilla content, in the order they're loaded (ie, the order in the options), except when listOrder is used in the ruleset, and then it's numerically by listOrder.  You can use either method to organize your items or articles, I just wouldn't suggest mixing them.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:24:56 am »
Thank you :)

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

Think I'm going to need a sprite artist for this lol

Tried using the blender tutorial to generate sprites but I can't get my head around it, may have to bite the bullet and commission someone to draw these for me.

If anyone else is interested I have uploaded the 3d object file I have as well as the sound files I ripped from the film and from the PC game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:04:47 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 05:10:47 am »
So thought I'd have another crack at this using my updated blender knowledge ... should be close to something that can work in the game :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
So thought I'd have another crack at this using my updated blender knowledge ... should be close to something that can work in the game :)

Dibs on stealing it when it's done :D

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:14 pm »
My mission tonight Solarius to get it working in some shape or form :)

I could have don't it last night if I hadn't found a load of other resources I want to port it in the game.

Always happy to share my work given the amazing stuff you and the other guys have created!

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 04:29:36 am »
HORAY!!!! It works ... of sorts lol!

Unfotunately I don't have an animated model to work so it is static, I tried to overlay the top part of the model onto the Sectopod legs but it looked horrible so thought I would leave it like this just to get it working.  Maybe someone more talented can use the dev files contained.

As you can see it works it has appropriate SFX to :)

My little contribution to the herculean efforts of others!

Enjoy!

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] [HWP] ED-209 - Working but lacks walking animation
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 05:24:29 am »
Should really go to bed but got the bug now lol ;)

The_Funktasm

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 03:27:51 am »
Is there some template or anything for using models in this way? I have some models I did for a ZDoom mod with mechs that would be interesting to try converting into even decorations for XCOM...

I was making sprites out of them, but it was a different perspective and detail level. I used a blender plugin for batch rendering of sprites at multiple angles. Just curious.

As far as the topic, ED-209 is awesome and always has been, and is definitely worth giving new life indiscriminately blasting aliens. The only criticism I can really think of that applies to this point in making him, is that he seems a little bigger than he was in the movie.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:00:30 am »
Hi Funktasm,

I used an isometric blend file that I googled (think it is in the tools section) that rigs the camera at the right angle :) the script is supposed to generate the files but I ended up moving the camera manually to the 8 orientations tbh.

If you google falkos openxcom tools he has some good stuff on making stuff into useable formats for the game :)

I'm enjoying experimenting more than playing the game at the moment lol!

The_Funktasm

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 06:02:59 am »
Hi Funktasm,

I used an isometric blend file that I googled (think it is in the tools section) that rigs the camera at the right angle :) the script is supposed to generate the files but I ended up moving the camera manually to the 8 orientations tbh.

If you google falkos openxcom tools he has some good stuff on making stuff into useable formats for the game :)

I'm enjoying experimenting more than playing the game at the moment lol!

I know that feeling. Sometimes playing the game isn't as interesting as rigging the game to work by your own rules. Thanks for the info, too.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »
Is there some template or anything for using models in this way? I have some models I did for a ZDoom mod with mechs that would be interesting to try converting into even decorations for XCOM...

For 2x2 units, you can use this wonderful tool by Falko:

https://falkooxc2.pythonanywhere.com/hwpbuild

Just download the right template (there are several, for example a Cyberdisc moves differently to a Reaper), modify it, upload it for cutting, get the cut version. Presto!
Of course you'll need the floorobs too.