aliens

Author Topic: Remodelled sprites  (Read 4951 times)

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Remodelled sprites
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:11:56 pm »
I'll add more as I make them. I've tested them in-game, and they seem to be working fine.
Feel free to use these sprites in the mod if you think they are good enough.

Any input is welcome.

Disc of Death remodel added. The old one was very undefined. Not 100% happy with the contours and shades, but I think it's an improvement. The basic idea is that the five holes are for the fingers, and the purple space is a palmrest/power unit.

Bayonetted musket added. The blade is a little on the thick side, but I tried it with a thin "realistic" poker, and that looks too flimsy for the gals. Why not have a big meat skewer?
It also helps preserve as much of the original musket as possible without sacrificing too much length.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:55:06 pm by tormodino »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Remodelled sprites
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:36 pm »
Would you consider taking a stab, so to speak, at the bayoneted musket?

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:01:23 pm »
Added it to the top.
Here is a picture of the current loadout of flintlocks, plus a WIP Rusty Niner and WIP Pirate Cannon. The model is Irate Hair, dressed in her finest pirates.

The cannon is too clean and shiny, and the Rusty Niner looks a little too pixely, but it should sort itself out.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:15:39 pm »
Yeah, I like the cannon, but the edges are way too bright. It's easily fixable though.

I also wonder if the musket could be a little more wooden-like... As it is, it looks kinda like brown rubber. But I don't know if anything can be done at these resolutions. Wood on the pistol looks better though.

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »
Thanks. The idea behind the cannon was ok, but with the highlights it has too much of a pre-modern navy feel to it.
I'll probably stunt it a litte, remove a couple of the highlights, and make it look more menacing.

The wood is tricky to pull off. At least for me. On one hand the pistol looks really grainy and solid, while I tried to give the musket a more polished look. I like them both, but I can see what you mean.
I'll try to make them more consistent in the future.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:13:48 am »
The musket could have a better looking type of wood with a good polish, it is more expensive than the pistol, after all.  This kind of makes me want to know what benefits there would be for a non rusty Niner, like the fixed up hunting rifle, I think it was?  However I can't really think of any upgrades that would justify it, any of the good ones for handguns already make the gun way obsolete.  Unless there was gun maintenance research...

Sorry, I got my brainstorm in your remodeling topic.  :P

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:57:02 pm »
Not at all. I started doing some remodelling for my own playthrough when I realised how simple it was to insert new sprites.
The discussion surrounding the look of this mod is very interesting.
Piratez is in my opinion a far more interesting long term project than core oxcom, with a much wider appeal.

I'd like to see more weapons have modified/improved variants, but there are already so many cool weapons in the game. And I don't know if the UI can take any more detail.
Do you know how flexible the menu system is? Would it be possible to set up a maintenance/improvement interface? I assume all the new unique objects could create an issue, if unique objects are even possible.

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Here's a nice and cartooney black powder bomb :) Disposable death.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »
I've tried to rescue that musket, but it wasn't easy, lots of minor mistakes. I only attempted this one because my current one pretty much sucks IMO, and I'm still not too pleased with the results...

Offline tormodino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 06:57:58 pm »
Looks good. Your shading is much better than the one I did.
I'm glad the basic design was ok to use.
I prefer the slimmer barrel, but it does look like a more badass weapon now.

If you have any specific tips I am sure I can avoid lots of minor mistakes in the future.