Author Topic: [GRAPHICS] Moriarty's Power Armor / Flying Armor  (Read 15181 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
[GRAPHICS] Moriarty's Power Armor / Flying Armor
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
Something always bothered me, but I couldn't put a finger on it until recently, when I started looking at the soldier sprites more closely:

The late-game armor types look too similar.

If the soldier is facing towards the screen, there's actually no way of telling whether he's wearing a Flying Suit or a simple Power Suit. The tell-tale straps we see in the UFOpaedia image simply weren't used for the sprite - probably because it looked weird in low resolution, or maybe because development time ran out.

I also never liked the weird giant-left-eye helmet. While I assume that it was supposed to be some kind of vision enhancer, with the right eye free for aiming the weapon, I simply don't like the looks of it.

Today I re-designed them to my liking... the helmet's eyes were changed to a visor, and the Flying Suit gained a visual element: at both sides of the head, I picked up a graphical element present in the UFOpaedia picture that wasn't used in the sprites. I'm explaining it as a sensor system for flight stabilization. It gives the Flying Suit kind of a "Mecha" look, which wasn't entirely intentional, but I like it.

Tell me what you think about it!

here's the download link: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=493.0;attach=5694
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:44:00 pm by moriarty »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Moriarty's Power Armor / Flying Armor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:22 am »
I love the new look,  the only thing i would love to see long term is a few different colours to personalise the troops ( one option is to create new sprite sets in different colour but long term i think yanks colour change code would be the best option)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
UPDATE: resources and modified game files containing the new armor sprites are available at https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads1.html :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:55 am »
these are awesome.
i've used these in my mod. i always hated the helmets on flying suits. thank you for fixing them.

if this is a problem, please tell me so i can make my own or something.
credit will of course be given in the readme.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 07:07:16 am »
thank you! go ahead and use the hell out of them :)

I've been following the threads discussing your mods, and I want to say I love your work, and of course you can use anything I've "created" and posted here. I generally forget to include a disclaimer or license description with what I make.

That said, I'm not really sure about the copyright involved here, since most of my work already uses original graphics, which are not free for use... oh well. :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:04:25 pm »
Thanks to warboy, this is now a working mod for openxcom!

completely packaged "alternative versions" of the power armor and flying armor. stats are the same as vanilla, just the helmets have changed. warboy added really nice inventory sprites with helmets in hand, so we can see our soldier's faces.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:12:41 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:47:37 am »
it'll be nice to have Luke83's mod site filled with working mods, instead of just data.

i'm planning on going through and making them ALL work.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:41:33 pm »
it'll be nice to have Luke83's mod site filled with working mods, instead of just data.

i'm planning on going through and making them ALL work.
You have my blessing ;) When i started creating DATA MOdding OXC was still years away , then you showed up and went CRAZY :o ( but in a good way ;))

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »
i never really mind the old helmet, the disproportionate size of the visor, (meaning one large one small) , i always thought of one of for a specific purpose, maybe as a night-vision or infrared system incorporated into the helmet. Always pictured the idea that the large one was basically a camera and the soldier could select the type of vision mode :) then again i have a lot of imagination :D always thought there should be a way to change the vision on the map so that the player could see heat signatures and such, but then i learned that will require very single sprite to remade , i stop with that non-sense :D

On the other had this ones looks very nice, very nice indeed.