aliens

Author Topic: How do air combat do?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline RickshawCowboy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How do air combat do?
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
After seven - eight months of ingame time, I've finally managed to equip the humble airspeeder with a compatible weapon.
This being the black market's Seagull Missile Launcher, costing 150,000. Its ammunition is priced at 50,000 per indiividual missile. That's a full 300,000 dolaros for a full armament. Doesn't this seem a tad pricey?

Unless my airspeeder has a near perfect shots fired to kill ratio or small shipping craft raids pay far more than I'd expect them to, I can't imagine ever making a worthy profit with these prices, even assuming no loss of personnel or equipment in the raids proper.

Am I missing something crucial? Should I be using a craft that can use a cheaper weapon instead? Will manufacturing my own missiles be far more sustainable, if I am given that option?

How do I break into air combat?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: How do air combat do?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:35 pm »
The easiest way to start air combat is against civilian vehicles, equipping that charger laser in your stores to the Aircar.  The Seagull missiles are meant to be pricey - all missiles are, but they get better when you can manufacture them.  As such, the Airspeeder is really a stop-gap measure to field looted missiles if you can't manufacture Hunter-Killers yet, and it is often better to wait until you can get true interceptors.  That being said, 300,000 is the high end of selling off everything (including hostages) from a civvie vehicle, and military craft only go up from there.  Think of using those missiles as a trade for possibly looting better guns (and maybe more missiles!) from light military craft, such as runabouts and cutters.

Anything bigger than those targets, you really need an interceptor that can take a real hit.  It's perfectly acceptable to wait to get into the air game until you have more advanced equipment and have enough manufacturing power to make worthwhile the economic gains from shooting down craft that don't land.  Raiders, Light Gunboats, and Military Transports are all good targets once you start seeing them, as you can get more missiles and guns from them, and have useful equipment for the tactical game.  You can take any of those down basically once you have a Hunter-Killer with a single full set of missiles, two light weapons, and one other interceptor with any weapon.  Even the Hunter-Killer alone is enough, but more firepower means less repair time.

Offline RickshawCowboy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »
Thanks for explaining, I think I have a much better understanding now. So it seems that Airspeeders are more a luxury item in the early game, something you'll buy if you have excess funds but not use as your air combat mainstay.

Do you think it would be better to scrap the speeder in order to immediately buy an aircar, or keep it in case I salvage/manufacture some missiles?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:04:37 pm »
I'd get the aircar if you don't have a better troop transport like the Pachyderm, the Shark Jetbike is also a good choice to use the Charger Laser or other light weapons if you just want a purchasable interceptor.  By the time you can manufacture missiles, you'll likely have something better than the Airspeeder to carry them; I'd keep at least a pair of launchers and a few missiles for that better interceptor if you're not starving for cash.  The Airspeeder can also be used to track down shipping to keep it in sight until it lands, but again, if you already have a Pachyderm or Jetbike, you don't really need it anymore.