Author Topic: Voodoo buff ideas  (Read 14021 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Voodoo buff ideas
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 03:07:46 am »
Fully agree with some. To long however and the scale limitations bite gameplay in the butt in favor of realism.

I mean the whole tactical game occurs in something like 120 square meters if one assumes 2 meters per square. Which is probably a generous estimate. We honestly play on a very tiny absolute scale.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 03:27:17 am »
Not really a fan of Psi-O-Vision in general except at the shortest ranges. 5 is big enough to be useful in cramped/cluttered areas like UFOs without being unfun. I could see maybe 10 on a Coordinator, but no more than that.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 11:18:31 am »
By the way, do you recommend to use "psionic line of sight" option, or not?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 01:25:08 pm »
By the way, do you recommend to use "psionic line of sight" option, or not?

Judging from the readme, it's not particularly recommended or discouraged. But from the broader context, I would say discouraged, because the mod seems to be designed around no-LoS psi.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
Thanks.
And for new vodoo: how about touch-to-effect powers?

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 07:54:52 am »
I think real magic is free handed, one thing of the mind not tools. Please not more wands in Harry Potter style. Give the pirates wands only as a lamp, stun rod or moral banner.

Magic can heal from a distance or make light, burn an enemy and the master mage at the highest level can place the Chinese dragon freely or resurrect the deads. Give all the effects in the empty hand slot, similar to a weapon with 3 types of shot! This is my vision of Voodoo! :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:59:55 am by Ashert »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2016, 08:28:55 am »
I gotta say, that would be really cool.. Empty hand can be clicked like an item, and each 10 voodoo skill, 1 new spell is added to the list (or more).

Voodoo skill 10 spell(s) could be simple things (strike a tile within a small range with an incendiary attack, power decreases with range. Allows you to either create light by setting tiles on fire or set people on fire once you reach a good power). Eventually concussive (not ball of annihilation strong, but decent) or even stun damage (again, not fairy power like, but enough for low level enemies in 1-2 blasts). Instant smoke creation, healing, short term levitation (enable flying on a unit for this turn only, unit falls down at the end of the player turn).

Potentially tie which spell is available from the list depending on armor, so voodoo is still balanced by scarcity of resources, but it is annoying to have the hands locked with "spells", especially on outfits that have both hands taken.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2016, 08:44:32 am »
I'd make the flight end at the beginning of your next turn, give your flyer a chance to be a sitting duck for a while.

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:38 pm »
The most powerful weapon was the Chinese Dragon but I think a good voodoo pirate could use an equal force via the empty hand slot or overloading an energy weapon/reactor with the same effect as a destructive Voodoo, once in the game for 99% stamina and vitality.

In the Voodoo school they could learn all skills. Other for healing, resurrection, light, mind control, teleportation, enemy suicide or as the best total enslavement = all aliens surrender and go willingly into his own ship! Alternatively: Future Vision = You can seen all movements of the aliens in the next round in relation to the current own planned movements. Let's begin the voodoo war! :D

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:37:22 pm by Ashert »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 03:44:40 am »
I think translated Liber Occultus books should allow you to cast various spells.