Author Topic: minor graphics corrections  (Read 7945 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
minor graphics corrections
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »
while playing the other day, I noticed (again) that some graphics are used in places where they shouldn't be. probably because of space limitations and/or development time running out, stuff was overly simplified or re-used without considering the implications. so now I want to contribute a little bit to making openxcom just a little bit better than the original. this thread is for these small tweaks and additions - if you want to contribute, feel free.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: minor graphics corrections
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:38 pm »
the wooden doors in the original came in just two varieties: north/south doors, and east/west doors. the graphics are re-used for doors that have been opened: one simply turns into the other. if you look closely, this frequently results in doors having the doorknob on the same side as the hinges, which looks weird.

I present to you: updated doors with doorknobs on the other side, to be used when appropriate:

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:38 pm »
the wooden walls, when destroyed, are replaced by wall stumps and rubble. while this looks fine on ground level, it results in floating rubble when a wall on an upper level has been destroyed that has no adjacent floor tile (outer wall, or where the floor has been destroyed).

so here we go - destroyed wooden walls without rubble, to be used as all upper level destroyed walls:

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:51 am »
That's a really great ideas moriarty! They really make OpenXcom a bit better than original. For example, floating rumble often pissed me off :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
the same thing as for the wooden walls goes for urban brick and sheet metal walls.

again: destroyed wall tiles without the rubble, to be used as all upper level destroyed walls

(EDIT: streetlamp now in separate post)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:58:40 am by moriarty »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:37 am »
...and while I am at it: the urban tileset used two kinds of stairs: brown and grey. the grey stairs were available in two orientations - the brown ones not. there's no obvious reason for that other than "it wasn't used so it wasn't done". since we want to be as modding-friendly as possible...

...here's the brown stairs, flipped to provide the other orientation:

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:55 am »
this is for the streetlamp after it has been destroyed... IIRC, shooting any part of the streetlamp immediately reduced the whole lamp to a stump, so floating rubble wasn't an issue there, but since we can, we might just make it so that you can shoot the top part off. hence the stump without the rubble :)

(EDIT: took this out of the other post, because I modified it again... the first version looked weird when superimposed over the lamppost. this one should be okay, I think)