Author Topic: Melee animation  (Read 5377 times)

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
Melee animation
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »
SupSuper and Warboy, please return back 10 frames for melee animation in the nightly version, exactly how it exists in version 1.0.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: Melee animation
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
SupSuper and Warboy, please return back 10 frames for melee animation in the nightly version, exactly how it exists in version 1.0.

As far as my knowlegde goes all animations do have 8 frames. I presume this was a bugfix.

EDIT: Why did you even start to mod for a over two year old codebase?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:11:26 pm by hellrazor »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:45:47 pm »
Because developing content for a stable platform is usually good practice and being a new user, he didn't know that 1.0 was such an old mess. I started with 1.0 as well, although it wasn't as old at the time, I had no idea of its age so that wouldn't have influenced my decision. Unfortunately, our developers have an aversion for decimal numbers and never updated to 1.1, 1.2, etc.

Developing for code that evolves daily is bad practice because you spend more time debugging new interactions (which may themselves change tomorrow) than new content. Suggesting that users use code that evolves daily is also bad. The way Yankes handles OXCE actually enables a proper development cycle, with regular but not overly frequent updates. OXCE+ w/ XPiratez or XComFiles is also pretty good.

With the main branch, we follow the nightly because there's no alternative except the obsolete 1.0 and modders are too headstrong to all agree on a given nightly to become the "unofficial 1.5 for which all mods are designed" (we tried) and too hungry for new features. That we do it doesn't mean it's good or that others should blindly follow.

I think the best is for modders to develop for OXCE or OXCE+. More options, more interactions with the coders, and a much more sane development cycle.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:59:24 pm »
Arthanor, I am totally agree with you, but be aware that the OXCE and OXCE+ are same as OpenXcom and these forks do not have releases too.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »
I agree that OXCE+ is a bit more fluid, but OXCE+XPiratez and OXCE+XComFiles are mod/executable pairs that have versions that are well defined, albeit not by the coder but by the modder. Even if you pull from github to compile your own version (as I do on Linux to play these mods), you usually should aim specifically for the OXCE+ version for which the mod was released rather than compiling the most up to date code version. If you're an eager beaver and compile the latest thing, problems can occur as it has to me in the past.

That's why I consider OXCE+Mod "pretty good" from a player standpoint and the quick interactions between modders and developers also makes it good for them. OXCE is great and has releases every once in a while with a proper changelog. Just go look.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 10:55:33 pm »
Arthanor, can we come back to our sheeps? It means to the melee animation in OpenXcom nightly.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:48:34 pm »
Because developing content for a stable platform is usually good practice and being a new user, he didn't know that 1.0 was such an old mess. I started with 1.0 as well, although it wasn't as old at the time, I had no idea of its age so that wouldn't have influenced my decision. Unfortunately, our developers have an aversion for decimal numbers and never updated to 1.1, 1.2, etc.

Developing for code that evolves daily is bad practice because you spend more time debugging new interactions (which may themselves change tomorrow) than new content. Suggesting that users use code that evolves daily is also bad. The way Yankes handles OXCE actually enables a proper development cycle, with regular but not overly frequent updates. OXCE+ w/ XPiratez or XComFiles is also pretty good.

With the main branch, we follow the nightly because there's no alternative except the obsolete 1.0 and modders are too headstrong to all agree on a given nightly to become the "unofficial 1.5 for which all mods are designed" (we tried) and too hungry for new features. That we do it doesn't mean it's good or that others should blindly follow.

I think the best is for modders to develop for OXCE or OXCE+. More options, more interactions with the coders, and a much more sane development cycle.

I understand that developing for a stable codebase makes more sense and indeed it would be better to have a stable version.
But when the next version is released is up to our dev's.

There a lot of bugs which need still to be fixed.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:00:04 pm »

Custom number of animation frames has been added to OXCE today.

Example: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8944.msg135061.html#msg135061

Arthanor, I am totally agree with you, but be aware that the OXCE and OXCE+ are same as OpenXcom and these forks do not have releases too.

In the meantime, we have pretty regular official OXCE releases: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

This feature will be part of OXCE v6.9 release in January 2021.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:03:58 pm by Meridian »