aliens

Author Topic: What data files to copy from a steam install?  (Read 7917 times)

Offline liamdawe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What data files to copy from a steam install?
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »
As the title asks, which files/folders do we need to copy into the DATA folder of openxcom?

Screenshot of steam install: https://www.prxa.info/random/xcomsteam.png

I read the readme in the data folder (should move that to the main directory - don't think it should be hidden), some folders like ufoexe only contain windows exe files, so for example they shouldn't need to be copied?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:59:54 pm by liamdawe »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What data files to copy from a steam install?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »
If you copy all folders, like the readme says, it should work.
Folders geodata, geograph, maps, missdata, routes, sound, terrain, ufograph, ufointro and units are needed.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What data files to copy from a steam install?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:02:56 pm »
I read the readme in the data folder (should move that to the main directory - don't think it should be hidden), some folders like ufoexe only contain windows exe files, so for example they shouldn't need to be copied?
The readme is meant as a last resort for the people who somehow miss the bolded instructions in the Downloads and Compiling pages, so I wouldn't say it's hidden. ;)

Simplest solution is to just copy the whole folder's contents, but if you wanna be specific, you currently need: GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, SOUND. Later you'll also need MAPS, ROUTES, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO.

If you copy all folders, like the readme says, it should work.
Folders geodata, geograph, maps, missdata, routes, sound, terrain, ufograph, ufointro and units are needed.
MISSDAT isn't needed since it's only used for temporary transfer between Geoscape/Battlescape in the original.