Author Topic: Remotely detonate proxy grenades  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Remotely detonate proxy grenades
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:58:10 pm »
I always wanted to be able to remotely detonate those stupid proxy grenades blocking the only entrance into the UFO.
Am I the only one?

How about a hotkey (e.g. Ctrl+R) to remotely detonate all primed proxy grenades belonging to xcom, which are not in soldiers' inventory and have spent at least one turn on the ground?

Possible options (and why I don't want them):
1. ignore time spent on the ground... would make them into instant grenades
2. don't ignore soldier's inventory... I hate you, but not that much
3. detonate also not primed... craft inventory would blow up
4. detonate selected, not all... too good
5. select (by modder) which types of proxies support this... meh, maybe, with a good reason (Note: remote detonation is certainly an inferior tech to motion detection/proximity sensor, isn't it?)
6. support this also on normal grenades, not only proxies... only with a very good reason

What do you think?

I think it would bring life back to underused proxies...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Remotely detonate proxy grenades
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 01:24:31 pm »
I think best way would be game play mechanic, to made it simple I suggest add new option to mind probe that change it in remote controller.
Some thing like frequency (plus new name for action). And after that in each grenade/proxy will have it define too.
Now MP instead of units will target items on ground, if any item don't have same frequency it do nothing, if it have same, it will do action based on type.
It should too support prime type (`fuseTimerType`), if it can be primed then you need it before to be able to detonate it, if it not need priming it always can be.

I think effect should be, to be consistent with `fuseTimerType`:
grenade: explosion
flare: disappear
proxy: disappear
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:31:59 pm by Yankes »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
How would I see it?
A special device you can carry ('remote detonator'); might be destroyed on use, or have limited uses. Blows up all grenades with a 'can be remotely detonated' flag; [maybe add a variable to detonator/flag, so there could be multiple detonator types?]. Only primed grenades, belonging to player and that have spent at least 1 turn on the ground count. However, I think such a flag should be also settable for normal grenades, not only proxies.

I think detonation by hotkey would be quite immersion-breaking, as it does not depend on having any non-panicked soldiers and doesn't cost any TUs or other resources.

Also I think some people use proxies a lot; and the fusion torch lets you easily circumvent blocked door.

EDIT: also basically all Yankes said sounds just right.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:31:16 pm by Dioxine »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »
In the rare case that I need to bypass an armed proxy I just hurl more explosives to clear what's on the ground. But a detention tool would be pretty handy. Particularly if you could get one for the mines in base trap tiles.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:00 pm »
In the rare case that I need to bypass an armed proxy I just hurl more explosives to clear what's on the ground. But a detention tool would be pretty handy. Particularly if you could get one for the mines in base trap tiles.
exactly, even more, with line of sight req and limited range we could defuse enemy mines too. Some real sapper actions :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 01:42:18 pm »
Particularly if you could get one for the mines in base trap tiles.

That's easily doable, but the problem can be that these have no 'ownership' which is for some strange reason game-crashingly important in OXC.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »
That's easily doable, but the problem can be that these have no 'ownership' which is for some strange reason game-crashingly important in OXC.
When remote detonated unit that did that can take responsibility for that. If this was pre set proxy mine then game should be fix in that case to handle it properly.
When I finish my current tasks I will look on that.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »
A detonator item which acts on all primed grenades your soldiers have thrown and have been on the ground for at least one turn definitely appeals.

Also might help make Satchels more useful (which should probably be decreased in size, or increased in power; that 2x2 just isn't worth the boom).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 12:47:46 am »
You can make explosions trigger armed proxies. (chain reactions become possible, but only with more armed proxies)