aliens

Author Topic: Piratez Lore Discussion Thread  (Read 13704 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Piratez Lore Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:51 pm »
Call it a fancy.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 08:45:17 pm »
@ Dioxine: So RNG/impulse. See? That wasn't so hard.

Most likely because Europe is the center of the universe and thus had the brunt of all attacks, even though cities like Venice or Amsterdam could have potentially emerged relatively intact the same way.

If we're talking 90s/early 00s wouldn't that still be the States? If we're talking later, either the EU got its shit together and finally became a superstate (in which case it would indeed be the centre of the universe as humanity knows it), or Putin won and it shattered under the stresses of resurgent right wing nationalism and the long term economic untenability of having a common currency without common cause (and transfer/equalization payments).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:19 pm »
@ Dioxine: So RNG/impulse. See? That wasn't so hard.

Nah that wasn't any of these 2. No cigar. Certainly it wasn't RNG and impulses are good for lean and mean predators like yourself. I just don't feel the slightest need of undertaking the fruitless task of explaining myself to you.

Also, you seem to imply that it's the only city bearing the same name as today, which isn't true.

If we're talking 90s/early 00s wouldn't that still be the States? If we're talking later, either the EU got its shit together and finally became a superstate (in which case it would indeed be the centre of the universe as humanity knows it), or Putin won and it shattered under the stresses of resurgent right wing nationalism and the long term economic untenability of having a common currency without common cause (and transfer/equalization payments).

Everyone got crumped one way or another, sooner or later, Europe, States, China, India and Russia as well. The least brutalized was the African continent, Pacific and relatively empty areas like Siberia, Asian or American steppes, etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 09:34:46 pm »
Dude, just drop it. :) I was there, right in Dioxine's flat, when I first saw the Piratez Earth. I immediately asked him the same question about Singapore as you did - me, his good friend, with whom he discusses modding incessantly - and still gathered no more info than you already have.
Seriously, don't drag this. There is nothing more to dig out.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »
Nah that wasn't any of these 2. No cigar. Certainly it wasn't RNG and impulses are good for lean and mean predators like yourself. I just don't feel the slightest need of undertaking the fruitless task of explaining myself to you.

Also, you seem to imply that it's the only city bearing the same name as today, which isn't true.

What do you mean 'fruitless task of explaining myself to you'? What have I failed to comprehend? Why is it so difficult to specify why you opted to have Singapore exist specifically and in particular in the game (yes, other old world cities may have survived, and this is acknowledged, but they are not featured in the game) vs any number of other prominent old world coastal trade cities outside of probable nuclear targets?

@ Solarius: I was up until the point he saw fit to basically insult me.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 09:44:55 pm »
@ Solarius: I was up until the point he saw fit to basically insult me.

My insult for your insult it was. Well, the real insult I only thought, what I said was only spiteful truth. None the less! Now only a duel can settle this! But I refuse to partake if magic is not allowed - being non combat class, I'm at a disadvantage anyway!

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »
My insult for your insult it was. Well, the real insult I only thought, what I said was only spiteful truth. None the less! Now only a duel can settle this! But I refuse to partake if magic is not allowed - being non combat class, I'm at a disadvantage anyway!

See above; how is explaining your decision to include Singapore in the game as opposed to other similar cities 'fruitless'? What have I failed to comprehend? Further, how have I insulted you? I asked for an answer that was not yet provided, and stated that I seemed not to be understood for this reason. You are asserting that the answer was provided, but this is simply not the case: nothing in the quote you cited explains exactly why Singapore instead of say Sydney or Auckland (or any other Pacific trading hub of your choice that isn't a likely nuclear target). Yes, Singapore happened to survive the gauntlet, but why did you have it survive the gauntlet to feature in the game vs other similar cities?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:59:19 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »
Backing off? Okay. The expanded truth is that I consider explaining myself (as opposed to explaining logic behind this or that decision, which I did to my best ability, and was expanded upon by Legion) a fruitless endavour in general, not to mention humiliating, unless in very special cases. Explaining oneself:
1. requires full knowledge of oneself no one really possesses;
2. requires intimacy or exibitionism;
3. requires the willingness to share secrets;
4. requires the hucpah to betray the secrets of others.
I will say only that: some things, like creativity, are beyond the realm of rationalism. So to a rational mind, which I assume you are, are best explained as 'fancies'.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 10:14:50 pm »
As stated, the reasons given by you and Legion explain why a city with properties and geographic positioning comparable to Singapore is more likely to survive and feature in the game, but not why Singapore specifically is featured in the game versus the subset of other cities with similar properties and geographic positioning. If there are some nebulous or personal reasons for its specific selection you cannot or will not explain, fine; you could always say as much.

Also getting into an insult slug fest with a moderator on his own forums is like global thermonuclear warfare; the only winning move is not to play.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:55 pm »
Can we talk about uber lolis now?

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:55 am »
Can we talk about uber lolis now?

That are what the runts are to me.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 11:59:41 am »
That are what the runts are to me.

I picture them as short but stocky (they need physical strength!), with cute faces.
Basically dwarven chicks.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
I imagine them looking like the girl in the backround of the manufacturing menu.  :P

That and most girls in the Bootypedia pinups are probably runts due to a lack of muscle.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 02:06:13 pm »
Or brainers.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 03:27:48 pm »
It's obviously just a joke crafted specifically for the purpose of triggering nosy people and leaving their nosiness unsatisfied due to there not being any answer.

because that was the joke
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:24:53 pm by Bloax »