Author Topic: Piratez Lore Discussion Thread  (Read 13952 times)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Piratez Lore Discussion Thread
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:13:09 am »
Why does Singapore still exist? Were they the ultimate sell outs?

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Piratez Lore Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:53 am »
I am willing to be that casual usage of Chinese Dragons had something to do with it.

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:06:15 am »
And the crypt? Yhese names are referred to the ones who contributed to yhe game, i think :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:47:18 am »
Why does Singapore still exist? Were they the ultimate sell outs?

There is no single reason, besides the self-obvious that it wasn't razed or resettled, nor it died off due to disease or famine, nor it was targeted during the nuclear exchanges, nor it was abandoned due to state-wide infrastructure collapse. Selling played a factor, since it's a maritime hub, and maritime trade never lost importance.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 11:50:44 am »
There is no single reason, besides the self-obvious that it wasn't razed or resettled, nor it died off due to disease or famine, nor it was targeted during the nuclear exchanges, nor it was abandoned due to state-wide infrastructure collapse. Selling played a factor, since it's a maritime hub, and maritime trade never lost importance.

So in otherwords, no special lore related reason. Of all the cities that could have survived, why Singapore specifically? Is there a personal connection or was this pretty much random?

Also by 'sell outs' I meant betraying earth to the Star Gods, not literal commerce.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:53:28 am by Surrealistik »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »
Speaking from a disaster survival standpoint costal/island settlements are the best off if they get past the initial loss of supplies. Beyond that point it's is matter of security/defense and travel range/accessibility. Something water does like nothing else. Also Singapore has been a strategic trade hub because of it's geographic location and topography since the age of sail. Even if it was abandoned in the intervening time nothing short of total physical destruction  would make it a bad place to settle.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »
All true.

Also by 'sell outs' I meant betraying earth to the Star Gods, not literal commerce.

It was a little joke on my part. Betraying or not wasn't a crucial factor; the deals were made with the elites, the fate of population centres was never directly dependant on signing the deal.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »
But of all the well-positioned cities, why Singapore in particular? RNG or otherwise?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »
I have already answered that.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:08:05 pm »
You've specified why Singapore survived where other major population centres did not, but not why, of all of these cities that feature those same attributes that allowed it to do so (and there are quite a few) Singapore was chosen to survive in particular, or rather, feature in the game.

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:11:51 pm »
Most likely because Europe is the center of the universe and thus had the brunt of all attacks, even though cities like Venice or Amsterdam could have potentially emerged relatively intact the same way.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 01:21:11 pm »
You've specified why Singapore survived where other major population centres did not, but not why, of all of these cities that feature those same attributes that allowed it to do so (and there are quite a few) Singapore was chosen to survive in particular, or rather, feature in the game.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »
Most likely because Europe is the center of the universe and thus had the brunt of all attacks, even though cities like Venice or Amsterdam could have potentially emerged relatively intact the same way.

You mean they both are still above water? :)

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »

Hello everyone:
How about an underwater mission to collect valuable and rare type of red coral, while hungry sharks, surrounding the boldest Aquanauts?
Or for example, to recover a rare and exceptional property, plant industry, drug development, or suchlike.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »
@ Dioxine:

I don't think I'm being understood. You're saying that Singapore was the only notable old world city that survived the gauntlet of disasters and featured in the game; partially because of its traits and location, partially because of happenstance in avoiding the worst of the war; this is clear to me. I'm asking why you picked Singapore specifically to survive, when what lives and dies is entirely up to you. There are reasons that it's more likely to withstand the invasion than say New York, yes, okay. But why did you single out this specific city to endure the gauntlet as opposed to some other prosperous and notable coastal town/maritime hub that isn't likely to be targeted in the event of nuclear war? Was it the most prominent one that came to mind with these traits? Do you have a personal connection to it?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:27:32 pm by Surrealistik »