Author Topic: TFTD late game is bleh  (Read 2569 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
TFTD late game is bleh
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
I did a game of TFTD in OpenXcom, and it was exactly how I remembered it: The late game is an annoying grind.

You have those two-part missions (ship terror missions and artifact sites) that almost always happen on the first day of a month.  Alien colonies and the T'leth levels are annoyingly huge and nearly every single alien there is packing disruptor pulse launchers, none of them actually have any sonic guns.  And of course lobstermen and tentaculats, screw them all.

Unlike UFO's alien bases, I couldn't destroy a single alien colony.  The best I did was clear the upper level, and then in the lower level MC a lobsterman commander back to the exit for capturing and then aborting afterwards.  I was gonna blow up the synomium device too, but a DPL threw that part of the plan out of the window.

Blaster launchers were special because they were rare.  DPLs are not because they're everywhere.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD late game is bleh
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
I think the most crazy part is the topside part, where there's literally always one room full of aliens (10+), and practically all of them are carrying DPLs. That's kind of fun, once you have MC abilities, strong enough to MC one or two inside that, as you will wipe out most of them in an instant. On the other hand, if not, it's damn annoying. The only thing, that helps, is the aliens not using their DPL right from the very first time they spot you. And yes, the most »fun« part under ground is the search for that last (few) alien(s), when you try to clean the place up for item collection. Most of the time, it's actually more reasonable, to just destroy the Synonium device, than to hope for wiping out all of them. As at the end of the day, with usual luck, it's a Tentaculat, or more, that's running around... As for the T'leth levels: They are always the same layout. So if you had a good look at it, the first time, at least you know exactly, where to run to. But still, they are a pain in the butt for their sheer size and of course, this stupid only-one-big-tunnel-like-way-to-the-target layout. At least they are not half as crowded, as this one alien filled room at colonies. =) (Which is funny, considering, that you are in the heart of the enemies place...)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:51:19 pm by 7Saturn »