Author Topic: Solar's wishlist  (Read 455468 times)

Offline tylor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Solar's wishlist
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2017, 03:32:48 am »
How about no? Having ton of primed grenades in inventory is balanced by them going off if you lose consciousness. And it allows interesting tactics, such as parroting those grenades.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2017, 05:55:51 am »
I would be against restricting pre primed grenades in this fashion. I agree there does need to be some sort of limiting factor beyond risk for damaging grenades but slot limitation is not the solution.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:37 am »
If primed grenades explode also in inventory, after the timer is up, it would be a good solution.

I think Yankes is already working on this.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:07 am »
Would it be possible to replace some mid to late game crackdown landing parties with a bomber that would, if not shot down by interceptors or destroyed by base defences, just blow up the base with bunker buster fusion bomb?

That woukd make crackdowns scary again instead of them being just annoying.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2017, 04:50:28 pm »
Yeah that's doable (through a hack - base defense which spawns 'bomb' units) but doesn't sound like fun. Crackdowns are not simply "annoying", they're a source of revenue for many players...

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 02, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »
they're a source of revenue for many players...

That is quite unrealistic and it turns something that should be punishing for the player and the goal is to avoid it into somehting that rewards player.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 02, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »
That is quite unrealistic and it turns something that should be punishing for the player and the goal is to avoid it into somehting that rewards player.

Why is it unrealistic?

If I believe myself unassailable, I should be able to PROVOKE an enemy into hastily attacking my Fortified settlement because they don't know any better....

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 03, 2017, 12:08:26 am »
If I believe myself unassailable, I should be able to PROVOKE an enemy into hastily attacking my Fortified settlement because they don't know any better....

Then they are not enemies but prey. The big factions at least should have some semblance of threat about them.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:50 am »
If primed grenades explode also in inventory, after the timer is up, it would be a good solution.

I think Yankes is already working on this.

This sounds promising.

Then they are not enemies but prey. The big factions at least should have some semblance of threat about them.

The big factions are threats in the abstract grand sense. The factions by and large don't give a rats ass. Only small commands take direct action against the player.

This is much like real world piracy. The powers of the age of sail largely didn't bother with the investment needed to wipe out pirates in a given region. The problem just was never sufficient to register with the kings and queens of nations. Local commanders on the other hand took every action they reasonably could but they often lacked sufficient forces to solve the issue permanently. And that doesn't count the examples where the major power where directly funding piracy against the other powers. Or turning a blind eye in hopes there rivals get hurt worse.

Or for a more modern example. The piracy in Somalia was a problem know to the world for months but it took the capture of an American ship and crew, for the US to get off it's butt and address the problem. Until criminal acts are actively threatening an established powers stability and or reputation with its own constituents they will do nothing. The bigger a power the bigger the threat needed to get things in gear.

This absolutely renders local operations of major power as "prey" to organized criminals.   

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2017, 11:51:01 am »
Or for a more modern example. The piracy in Somalia was a problem know to the world for months but it took the capture of an American ship and crew, for the US to get off it's butt and address the problem. Until criminal acts are actively threatening an established powers stability and or reputation with its own constituents they will do nothing. The bigger a power the bigger the threat needed to get things in gear.

In Piratez you can shoot down their cruisers and battleships and the only answer to something clearly threatening to their reputation is an anemic hideout raid.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »
Never claimed the representation was perfect but there is sufficient basis in reality for me to tolerate it for the sake of a game.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 03, 2017, 12:39:25 pm »
Right now I am interested in getting just one item, randomized according to weighs... Getting more would be an interesting option though, if not hard to code.

What should be displayed in the monthly profit column?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #342 on: January 03, 2017, 01:08:22 pm »
What should be displayed in the monthly profit column?

Something like "???" is the only solution, I guess.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 03, 2017, 01:35:53 pm »
Something like "???" is the only solution, I guess.

Not sure if I can display exactly that smiley :-)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #344 on: January 03, 2017, 01:38:48 pm »
Not sure if I can display exactly that smiley :-)

XD
Not a bad option actually, though I don't know if better than "???".