aliens

Author Topic: Solar's wishlist  (Read 455452 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Solar's wishlist
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2016, 02:07:56 am »
Script as always. When I add script that can damage unit (that is my primary goal) then adding script that will "heal" other unit is trivial.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2016, 08:03:10 pm »
Here's a new one, based on my discussion with Dioxine some time ago:

Commendation Bonuses
Commendations give various bonuses to units, for example Wrestler increases Strength (+1 per skull) and Nightingale increases night vision (+1 per skull colour). This would give the commendations some actual meaning, allow for advancement of units who are maxed out, and also help personalize units further.

EDIT: And a way to deal with late armour production:

Multi-stage production automatization

The ability to automatically build earlier stages for items that require parts that are also produced, like armours in Piratez. So you can make such an armour even if you don’t have the parts, and the parts get built first if possible.

EDIT: And something that we've discussed before, too:

Minimum Reaction Accuracy setting
An option to set a minimum accuracy where reaction fire is used. This is to prevent short-range weapons from firing at long distances, at 0% chance to hit.
This wasn't necessary in vanilla, but with vision range 40 and weapons like the Sawed-Off...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:03:22 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
An option to set a minimum accuracy where reaction fire is used. This is to prevent short-range weapons from firing at long distances, at 0% chance to hit.
This wasn't necessary in vanilla, but with vision range 40 and weapons like the Sawed-Off...

Best to pass the reaction check altogether if accuracy below that threshold, so we won't stop each tile when an enemy with throwing knives is at the other edge of the map...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2016, 10:20:09 pm »
Best to pass the reaction check altogether if accuracy below that threshold, so we won't stop each tile when an enemy with throwing knives is at the other edge of the map...

Yes, good point. I'll add it to the file.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2016, 09:43:48 am »
Commendation Bonuses

Nice idea.

Multi-stage production automatization

How about not creating such projects in the first place.
I don't feel the need to clean up your mess to be honest... keep it simple (one of very important rules of game design) or suffer the consequences.

I'll have a look...

Offline stepbystep

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »
How about not creating such projects in the first place.
I don't feel the need to clean up your mess to be honest... keep it simple (one of very important rules of game design) or suffer the consequences.

I second this.

If the reason is adding complexity, then there is no point in automating it as that would remove the complexity and invalidate the effort made to implement the manufactoring process.

If the reason is supporting the concept of "equipment upgrade" a solution could be having all equipment be manufactured from materials and also possible to brake apart into a fraction of the materials used to build it.
So to buld an upgraded armor you would have to either:
- build a new item from raw materials.
- disassemble old armors for components and thne assemble upgraded armors from those materials plus something else.

This way you need to execute (as a player) a multi-step process only when really upgrading your current gear (the original concept is still there) but you don't have to if you are rich and can build from just raw materials.
Also assembly and disassembly lines could run at the same time if correctly timed as the raw materials extracted from disassembled items feeds the upgraded items assembly line.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »
Yeah, I think I went too Dwarf Fortress on this one. :P I think I'll remove it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2016, 11:07:47 pm »
I think upgrading armors is a nice feature. If you have properly working components in a fine suit of armor, especially those that require rare stuff to make, why couldn't you use them. There are reasons you can come up with, but they're more justifications of a bad system than foundations of a good one.

The alternative would be to simply implement rare armor deconstruction. Much like you can get fancy bits off enemy armors, you could have projects to reclaim fancy bits off your own armor. With some minor losses if need be, to represent losses due to shaping/cutting pieces and whatnot on assembly. And that might be much easier to implement.

One thing though, in Piratez I had different bases manufacturing the armors I needed for annihilator, to spread the work and because certain armors needed certain facilities,  not all of which were at my main manufacturing base. Obviously, you can't quite do that if you assemble everything at once.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:07 am »
Some of the armors and weapons make sense for the upgrade system, the Tac Vest being needed for the Tac line of armors makes sense, each one is just a normal vest with more pieces added to it.

Maybe what we need is the option to skip the upgrade side completely, and just use the base materials to make the selected end item, along with the capacity to hide project options in order to keep the clutter down.  We do that right, and it doesn't matter as much about the project bloat, since you can just hide the ones you don't currently care about.

So still able to upgrade normally, with the capacity to just build the end project if you have the resources ready, would probably take the same amount of time, just less micromanagement, and the capacity to hide projects you don't want to see

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2016, 04:13:57 am »
The hiding of projects is already in OXCE+, just right-click an entry from white (normal) to blue (new) to purple (hidden).  If you want, making a mod to skip from base materials to armor is possible with a bit of math, Meridian even created a sample of it for Annihilator suits.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2016, 01:06:50 pm »

Active when UFO extender accuracy option is turned on.
If accuracy is 0% or if target is out of range, don't react.

Please help with testing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:15:34 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2016, 01:12:55 pm »
Active when UFO accuracy option is turned on.

Just to clarify: that's the UFO Extender accuracy, right?

If accuracy is 0% or if target is out of range, don't react.

It's certainly a big step forward. But I still think the next step should be a settable threshold fwor reaction fire. Accuracy 5% isn't noticeably different from 0%. If I could set it myself, I'd probably go for something like 30%, but someone else might prefer 20% (because of different personal preferences or different weapons choice), so I don't think enforcing a particular threshold would be a good idea.

But it's great news, I'm excited to try this, even if for now it's 0% only.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:25 pm »
Does this also fix the bug where firing while berserk could shoot outside of your maximum weapon range?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2016, 03:24:54 pm »
Does this also fix the bug where firing while berserk could shoot outside of your maximum weapon range?

No.

Commendation Bonuses
Commendations give various bonuses to units, for example Wrestler increases Strength (+1 per skull) and Nightingale increases night vision (+1 per skull colour). This would give the commendations some actual meaning, allow for advancement of units who are maxed out, and also help personalize units further.

When you have some time, could you write what kind of bonuses would you like for each award?
Just to help me mentally prepare for the complexity (or lack of it).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:27:06 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »
When you have some time, could you write what kind of bonuses would you like for each award?
Just to help me mentally prepare for the complexity (or lack of it).

Gladly!

Here's a list of suggestions - for the current commendations and some potential new ones, too. (Co-produced with Dioxine.)