aliens

Author Topic: Solar's wishlist  (Read 454062 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Solar's wishlist
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2017, 06:35:59 pm »
Ivan's Wish appended to Solar's Wishlist (because Ivan is a Leech):

Allow Multiple Background images to be defined for a particular mission.  This would allow for more variety in the Hidden Movement screens ala XCom Apocalypse.  Purely cosmetic, but more immersion building.

ie:
Code: [Select]
extraSprites:
  - type: TAC00.SCR
    singleImage: false #default is "true"
    width: 320
    height: 200
    files:
      0: backgrounds/Back_33_Cus.gif
      1: backgrounds/Back_34_Cus.gif
      2: backgrounds/Back_34_Cus.gif

I did try simply setting singleImage: to false, but this had no effect, or didn't load.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2017, 11:36:40 am »
Ruleset-wise, this would be done by adding this to the alienDeployments:
    alertDescription: STR_ALIENS_TERRORISE_DESCRIPTION
And the appropriate string to the language.
If alertDescription is not present in the deployment, the DETAILS button doesn't appear.

What do you think?

Done.

alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_LOC_SPACE_STATION_3
    alert: STR_ALERT_ORBIT
    alertDescription: STR_ALERT_ORBIT_INFO
    briefing:
      palette: 3
      background: ORBIT_BACKGROUND.SCR

extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_INFO: "INFO"

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2017, 01:07:05 pm »
Allow Multiple Background images to be defined for a particular mission.  This would allow for more variety in the Hidden Movement screens ala XCom Apocalypse.  Purely cosmetic, but more immersion building.

Background is randomly chosen during briefing and stays the same during the battle.
(Unless you reload, in which case it turns into default... take that, cheaters!).

hiddenMovementBackgrounds:
  - TAC00.SCR
  - TAC01.SCR # DON'T use this one, it will be cut off on the edges, which you don't want
  - BACK04.SCR # use other existing backgrounds on your own risk, I'd create new ones, just to be sure...

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:41 pm »
Yes, it's clear enough, thank you. However it's not the random number that is the main problem, but control over what spawns. (Sorry I haven't explained it well enough before, I failed at reading what I wrote and forgot half the sentence somehow. My bad.)

For example, I have a mission where you are supposed to rescue a council member from an assassination attempt. Civilians for this mission are: the council member, some bodyguards and some servants. With how it is now, there is no guarantee that the council member will spawn at all, or that only one spawns. If she doesn't spawn, then the mission is pretty much pointless and you must repeat it (and because you have no control over where she spawns, there's a significant probability that she will be dead anyway before you get to her, so repeating this mission will probably be inevitable even without the mission VIP). And having two or more is acceptable in this case (if awkward), but in some other mission it could be a big problem.

So, the best thing would be something analogous to alien deployments, where you could define the numbers of civilians of a particular type. I know it's probably complicated, and perhaps impractical, but I thought I'd at least ask, since you added the recoverable civilians feature already (which is a great thing).

Done.

alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_LOC_LOKNAR_VILLAGE_DEFENSE
    civilians: 0 # no random civilians
    civiliansByType:
      STR_SECTOID_COMMANDER: 1 # yes, now he's a civilian (not for diary purposes tho, can't fool the race)
      STR_HUMAN_FATMAN: 4 # with 2-4 sumo guards

Actual number is 50% to 100%, rounded UP.
(as opposed to "civilians", which is rounded down).

Rounding up works like this:

0 = 0 to 0
1 = 1 to 1
2 = 1 to 2
3 = 2 to 3
4 = 2 to 4
5 = 3 to 5
6 = 3 to 6
7 = 4 to 7
etc.

PS: you can combine random civilians and civilians by type if you want
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:01:57 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2017, 06:06:12 pm »
Whoa, that was quick... I can't add features fast enough to keep up with your changes! :D

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
I'll leave this to Yankes if he wants, not going into other man's cabbage:
- Global damageAlter per type
- More than 1 damage type per bullet
- Alternate animation for overkill

Open for anyone who wants:
- Terrain trampling by AI units
- X-Com craft crash sites
- Random Manufacturing ... IMO stupid
- Facilities: required staff (soldiers) ... IMO bad idea

Isn't that already possible?
- Multiple UFOs/crafts

On my long-term TODO list:
- Terrain destruction by melee
- Commendation Bonuses ... waiting for OXCE 3.7 to see what Yankes will change
- More info on weapons ... stats for nerds
- More info on armours ... stats for nerds
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:19:42 pm by Meridian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2017, 08:18:59 pm »
I'll leave this to Yankes if he wants, not going into other man's cabbage:
- Global damageAlter per type
- More than 1 damage type per bullet
- Alternate animation for overkill
Done, Done, Done, probably not in 100% but very closely, mostly you will need do something like this:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5245.msg78932.html#msg78932
Alternative animation is doable too, I will prepare some scripts that will show example fo this.

Commendation Bonuses ... waiting for OXCE 3.7 to see what Yankes will change
Right now there be no big changes in 3.7 aside of multi layer battlescape, I decide not hoarding it and release before I do all my stuff I planed for 3.7.
Probably this will be tomorrow or next day, I need finish one thing I have half done and test and merge ohartenstein23 changes.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2017, 08:29:00 pm »
Right now there be no big changes in 3.7 aside of multi layer battlescape, I decide not hoarding it and release before I do all my stuff I planed for 3.7.
Probably this will be tomorrow or next day, I need finish one thing I have half done and test and merge ohartenstein23 changes.

Great, I like that!
Frequent releases are good, we have literally endless supply of version numbers :)

Are you going to merge latest nightly too?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2017, 09:00:18 pm »
Are you going to merge latest nightly too?
Yes

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:10 pm »
I've noticed that my laptop literally does not have the Scroll Lock key. As such, I am unable to try out the night vision mode, so I'd appreciate if it was possible to rebind it to another key. What does it do anyway?

Another thing that would be nice is if there was a key allowing you to put a single weapon back into ship inventory during preparations. Sometimes it just happens that multiple pages of the ship inventory are filled up, it doesn't scroll to a new page, and there's simply no room to put down an item manually without removing all equipment from a soldier.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »
I've noticed that my laptop literally does not have the Scroll Lock key. As such, I am unable to try out the night vision mode, so I'd appreciate if it was possible to rebind it to another key. What does it do anyway?

Another thing that would be nice is if there was a key allowing you to put a single weapon back into ship inventory during preparations. Sometimes it just happens that multiple pages of the ship inventory are filled up, it doesn't scroll to a new page, and there's simply no room to put down an item manually without removing all equipment from a soldier.

• Go to keyboard shortcuts in the options menu, scroll all the way down to the bottom.  You can select a new key for toggling night vision there.  Or just hold spacebar when you want to use it temporarily.
  • Hold CTRL, then Left-Click on an item to automatically remove from inventory to floor.  Also works to put an item directly in hand from the floor, or into belt/backpack if the hands are full.  That's part of regular OXC.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Random base names
At building a new base, when you are prompted for name, there would be a string already - you can delete it or just press Enter. (Of course you can also rename the base late, like always.) The names would be taken from a file analogous to .nam.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »
  • Hold CTRL, then Left-Click on an item to automatically remove from inventory to floor.

hot damn that makes life alot easier, I was wishing for something like that

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2017, 11:24:33 am »
hot damn that makes life alot easier, I was wishing for something like that
same here, nice.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 09, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »
For the random base names, I have prepared a first version of the name file. You just roll baseFirst and baseLast to get a two word name.

Other name types are also possible, like for example "X of the Y" - up for discussion.

My literally first tests gave me the following results:
- Red Port
- Succubus Hold
- Diamond Oasis
- Mysterious Bosom
- Ghostly Fortress
- Winged Fang
- Hawk Oasis
- Eagle Fang
- Winged Pride
- Vengeful Trap

EDIT: Another feature, already well received on the Discord channel.

Research: false for Ufopaedia articles
Now they have research required flag. It would be neat if there was also a research: false flag, so the article is only displayed if you don't have the research. It would make some things less confusing. Like Extractor - today there was a bug report that it has no Ufopaedia entry, even though you start with it. For example, the Extractor in Piratez should have two articles: one before, one after it is researched (The first one saying something like, "A room with a deep shaft, full of complex machinery. We should inspect it to get more details."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:59:02 pm by Solarius Scorch »