Author Topic: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (an awesome modification of the OpenXcom game)  (Read 109587 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 10:02:19 pm »
I understand, that OpenXcom 1.0 is not a stable release. It is an unchanged release. "unchanged release" gives the possibility to make modifications that work without redesign and testing each day when new nightly version of OpenXcom is appearing.
It's a good thought, but in this particular case I don't think the updates are likely to cause you problems. Many older mods function just fine with the latest OpenXcom, and any more recent mods that don't work with older versions are probably using features that hadn't been released then. The solution for anyone having difficulty running a newer mod is to update their OpenXcom, which shouldn't affect their mods much.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:41 pm »
I agree with CanadianBeaver.

Mods should never be written against snapshots (nightlies), they should be written against milestones.

In this community, we unfortunately do that... because we don't have a choice :(
The DEVs -- for reasons I will probably never understand -- don't want to make proper releases at all.

It's really a shame... and probably the only major flaw I see in this otherwise awesome project and awesome people doing it.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »
It's a good thought, but in this particular case I don't think the updates are likely to cause you problems. Many older mods function just fine with the latest OpenXcom, and any more recent mods that don't work with older versions are probably using features that hadn't been released then. The solution for anyone having difficulty running a newer mod is to update their OpenXcom, which shouldn't affect their mods much.

I think you are right. I am researching the situation and I think that the difference between nightly version and 1.0 is small. How said Sputnik - AwesomeGuns modification works on the nightly version, except the cities on the globe. His experience told us that the chance of adaptation Awesome Guns modification on nightly version is very high. I will try to do it for both versions of the OpenXcom game.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 05:21:54 am »
What's up fellow Canuck! Great work with this mod; I really enjoy the conceptual tweak (I.e. overheating) that you introduce with the laser weapons. Have you ever considered adding a laser sniper rifle to your mod? I think it would add a nice compliment to the current offerings, that being having a long range, high TU laser option- you know, to really "reach out and touch" some E.Ts  ;D.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 07:02:08 am »
Thank you Meridian for understanding.

--- posts merged. Please don't double-post - Solarius Scorch ---

What's up fellow Canuck! Great work with this mod; I really enjoy the conceptual tweak (I.e. overheating) that you introduce with the laser weapons. Have you ever considered adding a laser sniper rifle to your mod? I think it would add a nice compliment to the current offerings, that being having a long range, high TU laser option- you know, to really "reach out and touch" some E.Ts  ;D.

Thank you for being interested in Awesome Guns modification and thank you for sharing your ideas.

Implementation of the Sniper Laser Rifle is not a problem. But the Sniper Laser Rifle involves some problems. let me explain the situation.

1. Awesome Guns modification introduce three sniper rifles. The first sniper rifle is available from the beginning. Thunderbolt can be investigated quickly, but it is convenient to use since the middle of the game. Railgun can be discovered near the end of the game.
2. The Idea of sniper rifles in the Awesome Guns modification are: limit ammunition (Thunderbolt has just 2 bullets, Railgun just one) and long time for shot (more than 90%).
3. In general, all sniper rifles have the great accuracy. I am thinking about decreasing accuracy.

Let's see what is the situation with Laser Sniper Rifle.
1. The Laser Sniper Rifle will be discovered approximately in the middle of the game and will rival with two sniper rifles.
2. Idea of Laser weapons in the Awesome Guns modifications are: unlimited ammunition and great accuracy. The weakness is: overheating, therefore there is no auto shot. Also, the laser weapons are a little lighter in weight.

How we can see, if the Sniper Rifle is introduced in the Awesome Guns modification, then it will not involve its weakness and will realize all strengths. I really want to expand the laser arsenal, but I am afraid that it will implement unbalancing in the game. I wonder, if you have any ideas.

PS: You live in the 6ix, aren't you?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:51:28 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 09:11:30 am »
I kindly request again that you rethink to put your mod under the GPL 3 Licence.

I already tried to explain to you the reasons, why all modders here so far have not been useing a licence.
I tried to explain this to you multiple times here.
You can put the ruleset under the GPL 3 no problem, you can put all by you yourself made Graphics also under the GPL 3 also no problem, but you can not
use modified vanilla content and simply put it under the GPL 3.

As I already stated, we are working in a juristically grey area here and are only being tolerated by the UFO - Defense Intellectual property owner (Firaxis), due to the fact that we advertise the buying of the original version.

Graphical assets from the original version or modifications of them are considered to be still property of the original property owner.
And you can not simply go and put a licence on stuff which you do not own.

So either specify which parts of your mod you wanna put under the GPL 3, add a appropriate disclaimer, or whatever. But do not advertise your mod totally under the GPL 3.

EDIT: Also who gave you permission to licence the original artwork of others? This is something only the property owner can (usually the creator).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:16:41 am by hellrazor »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 08:32:38 pm »
The new animation for silacoid attack has been implemented today. Please share your impressions.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:11:32 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 12:01:54 am »
@CanadianBeaver

I'll give the friendly advice that you listen to hellrazor.

The GNU General Public License version 3 has one major drawback.
It permits anyone to accept payment for selling the product under the license.

Usually, copyright-law states that the creators have the sole right to their creations.
Even if the creators decide to make them available for free to the public, that does not change the fact
that a creation is the property of the creator. And only the creator has commercial rights to his work.

The exception being if the creators themselves put it into Public Domain or use a Creative Commons license.
If nothing is said, it is by default under copyright. As stated by copyright law.

If you license under GPL 3 something that is under copyright, you may be taken to court. In such a case, your license is a violation of copyright law.

I haven't even begun talking about original UFO: Enemy Unknown content, yet. But it is clear any parts of the original game,
or modifications of that content, is under copyright, belonging to the company who bought the rights. Even if not the modders that give
away their creations for free has anything against you licensing their creations, I'm sure Firaxis will care if people start making a profit from
their intellectual property. And take steps to stop it.

IF the license, on the other hand, made it clear it is forbidden to put a price-tag on the product, things would be quite different.

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 12:08:54 am »
How we can see, if the Sniper Rifle is introduced in the Awesome Guns modification, then it will not involve its weakness and will realize all strengths. I really want to expand the laser arsenal, but I am afraid that it will implement unbalancing in the game. I wonder, if you have any ideas.

PS: You live in the 6ix, aren't you?

Wow, I wasn't aware that there are already 3 sniper rifles in the awesome guns mod; perhaps a fourth would be redundant. Maybe a laser machine/mini gun to offset the lack of auto shot with the other laser weapons instead? To be honest, I would need to spend some meaningful time with your mod in order to provide you with insightful ideas regarding the viability of a laser sniper rifle.

BTW, how'd you know I'm from Toronto  :o

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:59 am »
Kjotleik, thank you for your message. I agree with you about licenses. I have been studying this subject since Monday. I thought that GPL is so perfect for each situations, but now I see the one small problem. How you wrote: accept payment for selling. Other kinds of licenses are even worse with the exception of Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International. I found out that this license can be better for the Awesome Guns modification. I am still thinking about Creative Commons instead of GPL  and I will decide as soon as possible. Sounds great?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 12:50:11 am »
 :)  I think you are on the right track with CC, Canadianbeaver!

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 12:54:17 am »
Maybe a laser machine/mini gun to offset the lack of auto shot with the other laser weapons instead?

It can be a good idea. But the heavy laser was turned into shotgun especially for that situation. 

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 02:03:14 pm »
I like the Silacoid attack animation, but I think the "slice" should be orange instead of blueish. It'll look good, since the unit itself is different.

Also, WTF? A licence discussion? :o

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 04:54:52 pm »
Also, WTF? A licence discussion? :o

GPL licence has been abandoned. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International will be implemented together with a warning about requirement a purchased vanilla version of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown.

niculinux

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »
Super! Hope on next version we may get a couple of coverted aliens weapons more :)