Author Topic: Ship Layouts  (Read 16106 times)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Layouts
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 11:37:59 am »
Experienced a Destroyer for the first time; the weapon systems were done well, but everything else just seemed sparse and barren as compared to the Bomber. Definitely demands a fusion torch to infiltrate.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 03:42:51 am »
Deshitifying the Cruiser; will post screenies soon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:46:01 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 04:53:35 am »
Top floor of the Cruiser thus far, featuring the Briefing Area, Lounge/Rec Area, Bunks, Life Support/Food module, and incomplete bridge:

https://i.imgur.com/J2kpBFE.png

EDIT: Completed 3rd floor: https://i.imgur.com/XE6BFte.png
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:58:03 am by Surrealistik »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
So. Many. Chairs.  Also, the bunk beds look hella out of place and excessive for the crew size.  The layout's great though, and seems like it'd preserve the mini bughunt of the vanilla rooms.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:48 pm »
So. Many. Chairs.  Also, the bunk beds look hella out of place and excessive for the crew size.  The layout's great though, and seems like it'd preserve the mini bughunt of the vanilla rooms.

Not sure what else I'd use; maybe the TFTD cryopods? They'd look even more out of place though IMO. Regular beds are also found on other ships. As for the crew size, 24 beds is actually significant less than the ones I've encountered (which is upwards of 30 on Jack Sparrow). I might replace the lounge area later with bathrooms and showers which should cut down on the too many damn chairs situation (which I can't really do with briefing or the bridge because of what they are).

Second floor: Medbay with regeneration chambers and surgery, holodeck/triptown, weapon arrays, engineering and gunnery stations, storage area:

https://i.imgur.com/NBf64kR.png

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »
Unless the whole crew watches a movie together, I agree that the rec/briefing room is a bit extreme. It does look  better than the vanilla layout with the boring top site though. Bunks look weird, but I'd welcome a shootout in between bunks as it somehow feels very piraty. Also one needs to think about all those additional SlaveAIs and whatever alien entertainments are called in Piratez being given (or taken away) by the redesign.

If you do think there needs to be beds, maybe there could be better accommodation for the higher ranking crew on the top floor, and the low ranks should bunk on the 2nd floor?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
Extreme in the sense of too many screens, or too large a space? In the event of the latter it barely fits the crew on smaller difficulties, and doesn't (comfortably) on higher ones.

If anyone knows of a better alternative for sleeping than bunks, I'm all ears; I took my cue to employ bunks from other ships which do use them.

If I were to shunt the lower rank sleeping quarters to the 2nd floor I'd pretty much have to get rid of the holodeck.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 11:04:55 pm »
Too large a space. I can't really picture the whole crew watching a movie together leaving the ship unmanned, unless they are docked in a safe space which means they would go "offshore" for their R&R. Assuming the ship is intended to be crewed by half the crew while the other half is resting/eating/sleeping, there is no need to have more than enough seats for half the crew and even that is probably too many.

The ships I've been on have lounges (and cafeterias) that can't accommodate all the crew at once, since there is no occasion where all the crews are all at once eating or resting. This is especially true for entertainment: the lounges could accommodate maybe a third of the crew, since in their off time, people will be doing different things. They'll not be eating all at once (some shower before eating, some are too hungry to wait, some eat fast, others not, etc.) or hanging out in their rooms instead, so you'd need a special event to get even all of the off shift to sit down together at the same time. The only time we did something where really everybody was there (well, 90%, for the party of the mission), it was on the helicopter deck because that's the only place that could take the crowd.

Even beds you don't need one for each crew if you're hot bunking and given how most factions treat their low ranks, I could see them doing it in favor of better rooms for the upper ranks. Cruisers have guild masters, provosts or cardinals in them. No way those sleep in a bunk in the same room as the lowly GOs/Osirons/Neophytes. I'd cut the rec room significantly, move the holodeck up and create a fancy room for the cruiser boss on the top floor, and drop the bunks below near the engines.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 11:22:13 pm »
One thing I would like to mention, which probably is obvious: if there are more ships of the same type (in this case STR_BATTLESHIP), they all must use the same tilesets.

Of course it doesn't matter if you want to have only one ship map anyway.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 12:25:36 am »
Yeah it'd be very sad if you had to remake the map from scratch just because you've used non-conforming tilesets... :)
Speaking of which, what is the list of tilesets you've used?

But this looks not like a normal cruiser (which is not designed to spend more than several hours in air), more like some long-distance Church ship... (bunks for clerics and fresh neophytes, big theaters to conduct masses). Might be added as a replacement for the 3rd Shrine Ship in the Conversion mission, maybe... In which case it'd need to use Church tilesets anyway.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 02:16:34 am »
@ General: I think there may be some confusion over the 'theatre'. It's not really a theatre so much as it is a briefing room which is generally featured on most larger military ships and is intended to accomodate the vast majority of the ship's crew.

@ Arthanor: Neither the bunks nor the lounge (or even the briefing area outside of standing) can really accommodate the entire crew. I agree though that the big boss is likely to want their own room; I'm thinking of converting the small holodeck on the upper level and part of the common bunks to a private bedroom and study. I'll probably convert part of the holodeckto more bunks.

@Dioxine: Used the X-Com base, Alien base and pretty much every alien UFO default tileset. That said, are Cruisers _really_ supposed to only be in the air a couple of hours? A ship that large, well armed and space capable seems likely to make extended patrols.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 02:22:39 am »
Yeah but not on Earth... on Earth it's used as strike ship, mostly. The ones coming from Mars are crewed by Star God cohorts, so no need for bunks... but Marsec might find an use for such a layout as well.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 02:31:13 am »
Yeah, MarSec for sure would utilize such a configuration.

Given that the ship is versatile (and expensive), I can see Cruisers by default being configured as to be capable of space sojourns and other extended flights though; it makes sense that such an investment be ready for interstellar and interplanetary deployments if necessary (particularly given the nature of the Stellar Empire) rather than geared exclusively for Earth surface strikes in most cases.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 01:13:53 am »
Alright, pretty happy with this Cruiser layout thus far:

1st Floor (Engines/Engineering):

https://i.imgur.com/8MUwxHr.png
Spoiler:
2nd Floor (Medbay, Bathroom/Showers, Barracks, Storage Facilities, Weapon Systems & Gunnery):
https://i.imgur.com/djPD9xk.png
Spoiler:
3rd Floor (Bridge, Life Support, Lounge/Entertainment Deck, Briefing Room, Officer Accommodations):
https://i.imgur.com/pNre5sy.png
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:55:55 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 02:20:52 am »
That certainly looks a lot more Star Trek than Walmart cheap stuff of the vanilla one. Nice work!