aliens

Author Topic: 2K X-COM game  (Read 8582 times)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
2K X-COM game
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:59:34 am »
What does everybody think about this from what they've seen so far?

Personally, I think it looks awful! What's with all this black goo? Looks just like X-Files or Spiderman 3! Where are the sectoids, aquatoids or anthropods? Unless they're going down the Micronoid route (https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Micronoid_Aggregate_%28Apocalypse%29)

Offline luciderous

• Colonel
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
Re: 2K X-COM game
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:24:52 am »
Well, I'd say it's rather premature to make any well-grounded assumptions, since the information is very scarce. I agree those blobs look kinda demotivating, yet they might turn out to constitute the lesser part of the encounters throughout the game. From what we have seen so far, the game is going to look like some kind of mix between the unfinished X-Com Alliance and The X-Files Series. It's not that bad, mind you - but is is definitely not part of THE X-Com gaming we all know and love.  ::)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:46 am »
You're right, there could be a lot more to the game.

Strategy Core posted a video where GameSpot (I think) visited 2K. However, about 5 minutes in, the audio stops (or it did for me). They were just about to talk about research and engineering, which is a part I'm interested in knowing.

This is just speculation, but it does seem to relate to Apocalypse. You've got the black goo (Micronoids), then there's the pictures of vortexes (Dimensional Gates?).

It is set in the 50's though according to that video, which makes me wonder about the research and manufacturing. What sorts of technologies could they really make back then?

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 07:44:53 am »
Quote from  wikipedia:
"In 2010 2K Marin announced the official reboot of the series, titled simply XCOM"

I don't know where that information came from, but if it will be true (that it's a reboot), there won't be any relations to x-com games we known.

I think that main problem with this game is that it's called "XCOM". It may be nice interesting game, but many fans will be disappointed that it's so much different than classic x-com games.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:35:21 am »
Yeah, you're probably right.

Just like the new Karate Kid (I've not seen it, don't intend to) where it's been "reimagined", and they do Kung Fu instead. I don't see why they can't just stop remaking things and start something new. It's not like there isn't going to be enough stories out there!

Before anybody points out that I'm posting this on a UFO:EU remake forum, there's a difference; And that it that OpenXcom is bringing an old game up to date on new tech, so you can run it on Windows without booting up DOSBox and the like. In the same way I bought The Crow on DVD, because I no longer have access to a VHS machine.

battlesquid

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »
Hmm, isn't this project about more than just availability? I think so, since the original games are working fully under dosbox. This project can remove known bugs and decide for itself if it wants to implement new features. However I agree with you that OpenXcom is different from spin off projects - or "reimagined" (kudos for good word) - in that this project is all about refinement. It's not at all about spin off.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 12:04:22 am »
Hmm, isn't this project about more than just availability? I think so, since the original games are working fully under dosbox.

I disagree here, to quote the about page

But this is not just another

battlesquid

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:03 pm »

Sure, but that's just what the about page he wrote some time back says. I think the news he's been posting and asking openly about stuff like "should we remove this 'feature'/bug" an so on proves he's changed his mind  ::)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:54:44 am »
Actually you're both right. There's a lot that OpenXcom is, can and could be, but I'm gonna avoid sounding incredibly ambitious. :P

Basically yes, the main goal is to reproduce UFO in its entirety with new clean code. But then what? I've got this shiny new codebase going stale. Why not start adding features and improvements people have always asked for? Why not add support for new resources, graphics, and more? Why not let people mod the game, turning OpenXcom into various possible alternate game modes? Etc.

That sounds like every other remake's goal though. Where OpenXcom differs is that remakes always take their own approach on the UFO formula and that's it. OpenXcom will always, always, support original unadultered UFO gameplay, with any extras or additions that might interfere with that being completely optional.

If you're familiar with OpenTTD, that's the sort of thing I'm kinda going for.