aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Tech-Com - Terminator series  (Read 59841 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Terminator series
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
Not sure the site I got them off of is called the MadHQ graveyard :)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2017, 04:01:25 am »
One of the things we could do to "change" the feel is to adopt a red palette similar to that of the Terminator's HUD instead of the current XCOM "happy greens".

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »
One of the things we could do to "change" the feel is to adopt a red palette similar to that of the Terminator's HUD instead of the current XCOM "happy greens".

Just don't forget to check for readability - some color schemes work better than others and there should be a balance between aesthetics and function.

I've been working over the weekend to get the a minimum functional Geoscape with the regions/alienMissions fully working. My goal at this point is to get the strategic layer working as much as possible before switching to map making for the Battlescape

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2017, 06:28:49 pm »

Some of the experiments I've been doing. I had previously thought of switching the globe colors into grayscale for a post-apocalyptic look. The colors of the labels need to be changed but haven't figured out yet how to change those.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:46:12 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2017, 01:00:46 am »

This image displays a basic V-22 Osprey craft used by Tech-Com at its maximum operating range and carrying 18 units. Ospreys can be acquired through the Market and then upgraded through workshops to include air weapons, extra fuel tanks or radar, with each upgrade reducing the unit carrying by 6 units. 

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
The colors of the labels need to be changed but haven't figured out yet how to change those.

Code: [Select]
globe:
  countryColor: 239
  cityColor: 138
  baseColor: 133
  lineColor: 162
  oceanPalette: 12

Colors that can be used are attached.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:28 pm »
Colors that can be used are attached.

Thank you for the chart. Very useful!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:29 am »
I've been working on the last days to get ready to release a playable Alpha version.

I pretty much have the major changes to the strategic layer implemented at this stage:
* Skynet starts the game with 3 bases, each randomly placed around the world: Core, 1 Factory and 1 Hunter-Killer (UFO equivalent) Base
* The Core is Skynet's HQ - it can be assaulted but it will be a suicide mission until technology X is researched. Each day the Core has a 12% chance of generating one of the following missions: Infiltration, Retaliation and Supply. Assaulting the Core and recovering a specific tech is required to win the game but it will trigger a massive offensive by Skynet
* Factories are used to expand Skynet's presence in regions. Each day they have a 6% chance of generating an HK Base or Workcamp in the region they are located, or a regular Supply mission
* HK Bases are used to terminate the Resistance/Tech-Com's presence. Each day they have a 9% chance of generating one of the following missions: Infiltration, Retaliation and Supply
* Workcamps are used to process and eliminate the human population and gather resources. Each day they have a 9% chance of generating one of the following missions: Harvest, Abduction and Supply
* Skynet will also build 3 research bases at date/research milestones, which need to be discovered and assaulted to win the game. These facilities will be disguised in the Geoscape as Workcamps but they'll generate unique Research missions
* At a late milestone, the Tempus facility will be unlocked at a random location around the world which has data that needs to be recovered to unlock the final
* Skynet will conduct up to 3 Terror missions each month, randomly spread around the world.
* Several milestones may unlock additional Terror or Retaliation missions

Resistance
* The 'council' consists of 22 Sectors, each representing a former country or a collection of Resistance groups operating in the area
* The V-22 is the only starting craft, and it has a range around 600-1000 miles, making it very slow and limited when compared to the Skyranger although carrying 18 troops. But it can be reconfigured in workshops to give it extra fuel, radar or air weapons, at the expense of its carrying unit
* Placing the initial base will represent both an opportunity and a risk: if it's near the initial Factory/HK Base then there's a chance of eliminating earlier those bases before they can become troublesome, but if placed near the Core then it will be subject to multiple Retaliation attacks. But even worse will be none of these Skynet bases being in range of the player's starting base

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 07:57:16 pm »
Need help with the UFOPaedia text, Hobbes?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
Need help with the UFOPaedia text, Hobbes?

Need help with pretty much everything, the amount of stuff that needs to be done is huge :)

Here's a link to my current version, I've already added a number of things over the past days: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e4f4zvq3374rrka/TechCom_v101.zip

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2017, 11:21:22 pm »
I'll see what I can do about the Tech-Pedia.

I'm going to try and write it from the POV of having to train 16-18 year old kids who were born around 2009~, some ten years after J-Day.

So expect some heavy "back history" on the world.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 12:47:05 am »
I'll see what I can do about the Tech-Pedia.

I'm going to try and write it from the POV of having to train 16-18 year old kids who were born around 2009~, some ten years after J-Day.

So expect some heavy "back history" on the world.

Current name is Skynetpedia but feel free to change it - the only issue is that it needs to combine with the other labels used in Geoscape (there's already one called Tech-Com, just see for yourself)

I hardly wrote anything about the backstory because I'm considering a new research system to make the game more RPG like but at this stage it's too early to try to implement anything new

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2017, 02:27:30 am »
So another potential sprite source for the endoskeleton that could serve as a good starting point, T2 arcade game on Sega Master System.  The sprite just about fits into the XCOM frame.

I tried ripping the whole animation but failed due to my inexperience with emulators.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2017, 12:30:19 am »
Hobbes I think I have hit a potential gold source here ... I found a mod for Galactic Battlegrounds and extracted the units :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:36:43 am by SideQuests »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Tech-Com - Terminator series
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »
Hobbes I think I have hit a potential gold source here ... I found a mod for Galactic Battlegrounds and extracted the units :)

Thanks, but I have no use for such sprites unless they are already in the format required to work in OpenXcom because I have neither the time or the skills to convert them myself.

At the moment I'm also more concerned with implementing the Geoscape than the tactical part of the mod

--- posts merged ---

Well, thanks to Meridian's efforts in adding the 'hunter-killer' ability to UFOs, it seems we're on the path for an alpha release :D

At this point the mod already contains:
* T-800 unit
* Resistance units
* Weapons
* V-22 Osprey
* Aerial Hunter-Killer ufos

The Geoscape part is still half-done, but now that UFOs intercepting your craft is available, it becomes a lot more interesting to design and implement stuff. More news later

--- posts merged ---

Redesigning Regions

The original game's regions were designed considering that the aliens would build bases in isolated areas and perform abductions/harvest in more rural areas, while conducting terror attacks on cities. UFOs would spawn/disappear in areas outside the region, simulating their entry on the atmosphere.

In Tech-Com the strategic situation is different: Skynet will start in control of central areas on each region/continent and the presence of the Resistance will be centered on outlying areas. So I'm currently redesigning all the missionZones (which are used by UFOs on the original to determine their flight paths) taking this into consideration

As an example

The area within the black polygons is under Skynet control - these will be the locations to spawn bases. The red stars are patrol areas for aerial Hunter-Killers, and the blue stars Resistance bases (for terror sites).

The redesign will also allow to implement new mission types for Skynet:
* Counter-Air - multiple aerial HKs will conduct permanent patrols over most of a month to detect and shoot down any Tech-Com airborne craft in a region. Designed to severely limit Tech-Com's operations on a region
* Patrol - similar to above, but using only a single aerial HK launched by a Skynet base in the area with a much shorter patrol duration
* Convoy - ground HK will move between Skynet bases transporting supplies and equipment. The convoy will be very slow and easy to detect but it will only move in Skynet controlled areas
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:20:21 pm by Solarius Scorch »